Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Navy anyone?

WDW, my best wishes for success for your brother.

Is he planning on staying on the Navy side of the house, or interested in working with the Fleet Marine Force?

I agree that the CT rates are a good way to go. I was in OCS with a few CTs; they loved it and spoke very highly of it.

Kinda late to the party, but......

Be wary of the nuclear power program. My brother is a nuclear power mechanic. They have pretty much the best training in the world on nuclear power, but their ratings don't translate to the civilian world. If he wanted to use his experience to work out in the civilian world, he'd have to start all over and get equivalent civilian certifications for pretty much the same skills. That's the way he's explained it to me. Thus, he's a career squid on a fast attack sub and currently up for Chief. I'd offer to put you guys in contact if you had questions about the nuclear power program, but he's deployed and getting in contact just isn't a realistic option unless you're willing to wait a few months.

I'll echo everything about the intelligence field. Pretty much everyone I know who left the USMC with a TS clearance has been able to pick when, where and what they want to do for work (within reason inside their field of work). Not all of those jobs are intelligence, either. There are a lot of business opportunities listed on clearancejobs.com if she ends up deciding to get out of the intel field.

If she wants to be a nurse, then my thoughts are to say just go be a nurse. You don't need experience as an HM to get into nursing school, and it's not going to be super critical in the life-long plan at being a good nurse. It's kinda like becoming a mechanic if wanting to fulfill your dream as a car designer; it's in the same field, but besides personal interest there really isn't a strong reason to purposely make it "Point B" over another job if wanting to get from point A (high school) to point C (nursing school). For this, I speak more from my current field of work than my military past. She could go to nursing school on an ROTC scholarship right off the bat, or do a different enlisted job in the Navy and still go to nursing school just the same when she gets out.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-28-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post

Be wary of the nuclear power program. My brother is a nuclear power mechanic. They have pretty much the best training in the world on nuclear power, but their ratings don't translate to the civilian world. If he wanted to use his experience to work out in the civilian world, he'd have to start all over and get equivalent civilian certifications for pretty much the same skills. That's the way he's explained it to me. Thus, he's a career squid on a fast attack sub and currently up for Chief. I'd offer to put you guys in contact if you had questions about the nuclear power program, but he's deployed and getting in contact just isn't a realistic option unless you're willing to wait a few months.

I work at a nuclear power plant and with tons of ex navy nukes, including several that frequent this board. I would disagree with your brother's assessment of Navy nukes and their ability to translate that experience into making money in the civilian world. I'm not saying its the best job in the world, but they can make some good cash.

I'll echo everything about the intelligence field. Pretty much everyone I know who left the USMC with a TS clearance has been able to pick when, where and what they want to do for work (within reason inside their field of work). Not all of those jobs are intelligence, either. There are a lot of business opportunities listed on clearancejobs.com if she ends up deciding to get out of the intel field.

If she wants to be a nurse, then my thoughts are to say just go be a nurse. You don't need experience as an HM to get into nursing school, and it's not going to be super critical in the life-long plan at being a good nurse. It's kinda like becoming a mechanic if wanting to fulfill your dream as a car designer; it's in the same field, but besides personal interest there really isn't a strong reason to purposely make it "Point B" over another job if wanting to get from point A (high school) to point C (nursing school). For this, I speak more from my current field of work than my military past. She could go to nursing school on an ROTC scholarship right off the bat, or do a different enlisted job in the Navy and still go to nursing school just the same when she gets out.

I can name a Navy nuke guy on this forum that is doing well for himself in the civilian nuke field.

Very, very good advice on being a nurse.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by StayintheFight View Post
    I work at a nuclear power plant and with tons of ex navy nukes, including several that frequent this board. I would disagree with your brother's assessment of Navy nukes and their ability to translate that experience into making money in the civilian world. I'm not saying its the best job in the world, but they can make some good cash.
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I can name a Navy nuke guy on this forum that is doing well for himself in the civilian nuke field.
    In my post I never said they wouldn't make money.....just that the job didn't translate directly to the civilian world. Take for instance the whole nursing thing we've been talking about......a Navy RN is still an RN, and can work as an RN at her commensurate level on day 1 as a civilian. A Navy nuke, according to my brother, has to start all over again with the required certs as they do not transfer to the civilian world. ETA: Of course, how much a deterrent it is may be dependent on several factors. One of which is that he was getting an obscene amount of money (think a yearly salary well above the nat'l median income) thrown at him with bonuses as an E6 to reenlist on a 4 year contract. Today, the bonuses are gone, so I imagine what he claimed would be less of a deterrent to today's sailors in the position he was in 6-8 years ago.

It deterred him and several of his buddies (one who I reenlisted) from going out into the civilian world. Before moving to his last duty station he took a 3 month (or so?) course in Va Beach that bridged that gap a bit, but I'm pretty sure he made a big deal out of it because it was unusual in bridging the gap. He even met his current wife in the course, who was attending as a civilian.

I'd welcome the nukes you guys know to comment on this. More information and validation is always a good thing.
    Last edited by TGS; 05-28-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

In my post I never said they wouldn't make money.....just that the job didn't translate directly to the civilian world. Take for instance the whole nursing thing we've been talking about......a Navy RN is still an RN, and can work as an RN at her commensurate level on day 1 as a civilian. A Navy nuke, according to my brother, has to start all over again with the required certs as they do not transfer to the civilian world. It deterred him and several of his buddies (one who I reenlisted) from going out into the civilian world. Before moving to his last duty station he took a 3 month (or so?) course in Va Beach that bridged that gap a bit, but I'm pretty sure he made a big deal out of it because it was unusual in bridging the gap. He even met his current wife in the course, who was attending as a civilian.

I'd welcome the nukes you guys know to comment on this. More information and validation is always a good thing.
    Copy, asked him to comment.
    #RESIST

I'm not Navy (I'm an air force weenie), but i have worked with Navy IS's and CT's for quite a few years now. According to my friends in both the IS/CT career fields, both jobs can be quite good with excellent opportunities, both in the Navy and after the Navy (the clearance definitely helps with that). If you have any specific questions about those two rates, PM me. If I don't know the answer off hand, I'll ping some of my friends, one of whom just got done with instructor duty at the IS school.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    WDW, my best wishes for success for your brother.

Is he planning on staying on the Navy side of the house, or interested in working with the Fleet Marine Force?
    I was a Marine. He's def going green

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    I was a Marine. He's def going green
    Please extend my best wishes. We had a really good Doc in the first platoon I was in. He could not pay for a drink, when we were on liberty.

User Tag List