Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: The good stuff? (Scotch)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I was at a guys dinner last night, and hidden among the liquor bottles was a 1/4 full bottle of Balvenie 14. Bizarrely, everyone was drinking blended whiskey on the rocks and going on about “smooth” and so on. I kept politely passing on Eagle Rare and the like, and ended up polishing off the single malt with literally no competition.
    You Sir did the right thing!🤣

Sometimes you gotta treat yourself despite everyone else.

I've only ever had (and still have a bit of) the Balvenie Doublewood. I must admit I've kind of moved on to the peatier stuff the last year or two...maybe I should revisit some of the smoother stuff like Macallan 12 and Balvenie which has been lingering in the cabinet.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

A vodka swilling friend got offered some good Scotch recently and was impressed.
    I gave him a bottle of that Laphroaig Quarter Cask for New Years and he is in love.

I rang the changes on Scotch for a number of years but these days I am just as happy with plain Jameson. (Their "caskmates" are vile, as are other whiskies put into rum and sherry barrels. Used bourbon barrels seem ok.)
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 01-08-2020 at 03:41 PM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Saw this listed on Amazon Prime's "popular movies."

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I tried Bain's Cape Mountain Whisky, which is described as a single grain South African whiskey and while I have seen reviews that compare it to Irish whiskeys and Bourbons, to me it tastes more like a Scotch whiskey.
    Name:  bains.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  27.5 KB
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Site Supporter

The good stuff? (Scotch)

I picked this up earlier this year but in my move it had gotten pushed back to the back of the liquor cabinet. Anyone have some good cigar pairing recommendations?

(Also, I love a lot of things about the state of Alabama . . . but I’m miffed after buying this bottle and seeing what it sells for at Total in Florida. Alabama’s incessant fear that liquor will lead to jazz music and the devil’s lettuce really gets on my nerves sometimes)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    I picked this up earlier this year but in my move it had gotten pushed back to the back of the liquor cabinet. Anyone have some good cigar pairing recommendations?

(Also, I love a lot of things about the state of Alabama . . . but I’m miffed after buying this bottle and seeing what it sells for at Total in Florida. Alabama’s incessant fear that liquor will lead to jazz music and the devil’s lettuce really gets on my nerves sometimes)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't have a cigar pairing for you but that is good scotch as is "The Lasanta" sherry cask finished version.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but I tried Bain's Cape Mountain Whisky, which is described as a single grain South African whiskey and while I have seen reviews that compare it to Irish whiskeys and Bourbons, to me it tastes more like a Scotch whiskey.
    Name:  bains.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  27.5 KB

I do enjoy Bains as a easy drinking whisky. Tastes more Irish to me though
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnar_d View Post
    I picked this up earlier this year but in my move it had gotten pushed back to the back of the liquor cabinet.

The state store system denies us a lot of booze at any price.
    In my Scotch period, I was bringing whisky home from Tennessee and Florida every time I got out of the state.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I was at a guys dinner last night, and hidden among the liquor bottles was a 1/4 full bottle of Balvenie 14. Bizarrely, everyone was drinking blended whiskey on the rocks and going on about “smooth” and so on. I kept politely passing on Eagle Rare and the like, and ended up polishing off the single malt with literally no competition.
    Balvenie 14, 15, 17 are all amazing.

User Tag List