Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast

Thread: The good stuff? (Scotch)

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I do enjoy Bains as a easy drinking whisky. Tastes more Irish to me though
    I'm sure you are right as I am relatively new to whisky appreciation. Somewhere past "first kiss" but well before "trying to remember who wears the handcuffs. "
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Student
    If you're in Arizona and you think you'd like American malt smoked with mesquite, the spring 2021 Distiller's Cut from Whiskey Del Bac hit the shelves a couple days ago. 111.8 proof and finished in PX (Pedro Ximenez) sherry casks.

I hate to say it, but I seem to be losing my taste for Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I bought a bottle recently to replace one that had run dry...and sadly, not only had the price gone up by about 20 or 25% since the last purchase, but I didn't care for it as much. Even the Ardbeg "oogie" leaves me feeling similarly.

Guess bourbon has ruined my taste buds.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/sc...14-yr/p/678750

I’m in a long term, monogamous, and regularly consummated relationship with the Oban 14.

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I hate to say it, but I seem to be losing my taste for Laphroaig Quarter Cask. I bought a bottle recently to replace one that had run dry...and sadly, not only had the price gone up by about 20 or 25% since the last purchase, but I didn't care for it as much. Even the Ardbeg "oogie" leaves me feeling similarly.

Been kind of feeling that way myself lately. I guess I've tried enough different scotches (and Rye) over the last few years that I want something different. Bourbon it is!

Chris

As a fan of Bourbon and Scotch, including all things Islay, I can relate.

If you like Arbeg, might I suggest you try the "Wee Beastie"?
    It's quite different and, in my opinion, also quite nice.

At $40, I rolled the dice and after having a few pours, already have additional bottles in my stash.

https://www.ardbeg.com/en-US/our-whi...eg-wee-beastie

When I first started drinking scotch, I was obsessed with the Islays, with Lagavulin 16 being a go-to, and I dismissed any Speyside as weak. Recently the Islays have become overpowering, and any distinction gets lost and all I get is the smoke. At the same time I’m definitely appreciating the Speysides more, although I still prefer sherry or rum finished Speysides for a little more character. Highlands remain my favorites, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post
    When I first started drinking scotch, I was obsessed with the Islays, with Lagavulin 16 being a go-to, and I dismissed any Speyside as weak. Recently the Islays have become overpowering, and any distinction gets lost and all I get is the smoke. At the same time I’m definitely appreciating the Speysides more, although I still prefer sherry or rum finished Speysides for a little more character. Highlands remain my favorites, though.
    Other than the Islay offerings, the only others I have in the cabinet are The Macallan 12 and Balvenie Doublewood. And a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue we brought back from our niece's wedding. (It's awful, imho.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    For fun scotch videos, about a year or so ago I got to meet Neil Forbes of 1775 Whiskey Passport through a Zoom networking call. Great guy who spent 30 years with Police Scotland (I think he was with Loathian and Borders Police before they consolidated). He’s now a travel agent that does scotch and golf tours, and hosts an online scotch tasting every Friday at 8:30 Edinburgh time where they send samples to viewers in Scotland so they can join in (mostly stuff available here in the States and they’re looking to expand). If you’re able to make time, they are an absolute blast to watch. Since they start at 12:30 AZ time, I’ll try to watch on my lunch hour (sometimes with a wee dram if we have a quiet afternoon).

They’re very welcoming—if you stop by, tell Neil that Jeff from Arizona BNI sent you.

https://1775whiskypassport.com/

User Tag List