Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: The good stuff? (Scotch)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    That'll ought to help you with warming your effete in front of the fire.
    Ugh...more puns.

I'll join you and raise a glass of QC tonight as well.
    Excellent. Enjoy!

Chris

@mtnbkr

Well, what were your impressions of the QC?

I had a glass last night and made a conscious effort to let it rest in the Glencairn glass for several minutes before drinking. It did seem to make a bit of difference compared to my usual habit of not waiting more than a minute or two.

Tonight I'll probably go with the Ardbeg "oogie".
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    @mtnbkr

Well, what were your impressions of the QC?

I had a glass last night and made a conscious effort to let it rest in the Glencairn glass for several minutes before drinking. It did seem to make a bit of difference compared to my usual habit of not waiting more than a minute or two.

Tonight I'll probably go with the Ardbeg "oogie".
    It was good. I didn't use the Glencairn glass and elected to use a pedestrian glass tumbler (I'm a savage). I enjoyed it slowly while watching a movie, so it had time to breath a bit before it was all gone.

It's less smokey, but more briney and seaweedy than Ardbeg 10yr. Or, put another way, less campfire and more beach. I liked it and would buy it again.

Today's looking like another cold/damp one. We're having some very Scottish weather, so I think I'll sample it again tonight. Appropriate, eh? But this time in the proper glassware...

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    It was good. I didn't use the Glencairn glass and elected to use a pedestrian glass tumbler (I'm a savage). I enjoyed it slowly while watching a movie, so it had time to breath a bit before it was all gone.

It's less smokey, but more briney and seaweedy than Ardbeg 10yr. Or, put another way, less campfire and more beach. I liked it and would buy it again.

Today's looking like another cold/damp one. We're having some very Scottish weather, so I think I'll sample it again tonight. Appropriate, eh? But this time in the proper glassware...

Chris
    Good stuff.

Yeah, it was Scottish weather here as well. Damp, blustery and tonight getting down into the teens. Better put some woolens on under the kilt.

Had a few "Rusty Nails" last night, Scotch/Drambui 3/1, I used Dewars. Delicious.

Site Supporter
    Welp looks like I’m headed off to Scotland in June. Anyone have any intel on any distilleries that I can’t afford to miss? I seem to like Highlands scotches, but what I like best seems to be a slightly different subject from best places to visit.

The Macallan has a new visitors center that is supposed to be quite spiffy.

Site Supporter
    If you're willing to travel to Islay, Laphroaig did an absolutely fantastic tour, which was an amazing value as well. It's the "water to whisky experience" on this page: https://tourbooking.laphroaig.com/index.php I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Dark Star Gear helps you holster your favorite single malt...

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  29.5 KB
    Last edited by blues; 03-27-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Site Supporter
    So, my UK coworkers traveled up to Scotland for a team meeting (our manager, his manager, and another team member are located there). At the airport on the way back, one of my coworkers picked up a 3-pack sampler of Tomintoul (smaller bottles, not normal 750s). I've never seen or heard of Tomintoul before.

Also, when I go to London next week, I'm going to stop by The Whisky Exchange in Covent Garden. Two floors of whisk(e)y, including a "decant your own" option. I'm taking the larger suitcase.

Chris

User Tag List