Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Thread: The good stuff? (Scotch)

Site Supporter
    Doesn’t fit in the bourbon thread and doesn’t really fit here, but I’m going to post it anyway.

IMO, the Good Stuff is Irish whiskey. Ran out of Redbreast 12 this week so I went to the store to restock. Ended up adding to my collection of the more interesting bottles instead. I know nothing about this PX edition but I guess I’ll find out soon enough how it tastes.

Name:  C51266D0-3440-40B3-96F3-FBE9B940B252.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  67.0 KB

My wife likes the peaty stuff so I have to share my occasional Laphroiag 10. I stick to Elijah Craig bourbon for the most part due to low budget, but if I drink what I want and not what I can afford it’s smokey scotch, and I will not spend single malt prices on other whiskey.

Laphroiag 10 is amazing for the $45 to $50 it can be had for in my area. I also really like Lagavulin 8, even more than the 16 - I’ve found I actually tend to like younger scotch, especially if it’s a peated one - I like the intense, vibrant, springy character a good one has, and peat flavor can fade with age. Balvenie 12 is the non-peated go to, or Glenfarclas 12 at its $40 a bottle steal price.

I’ve had some but not a lot of older and more expensive bottles. When I can afford it at all, $45 to $80 (and carefully selecting within the price range) is my sweet spot. Liking younger versions makes this easier.

Came to post this and realized I’m the most recent comment so, case in point, still my favorite for celebratory occasions.

Happy Pascha/Easter (belated or otherwise) from the three or four of us here on the old calendar.

Name:  C9F30456-9E60-47FA-929E-CC20D26DD55A.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  54.6 KB

Had a nice dram of Laphroaig Quarter Cask earlier today. Hit the spot.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by RancidSumo View Post
    I know nothing about this PX edition but I guess I’ll find out soon enough how it tastes.
    I did not like Scotch put in sherry barrels, I can't see how it would help Irish.

A friend got a surprise bonus at work and spent some of it on Lagavulin that he liked although I don't know which variant.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Revisited the Balvenie 14 yr “Caribbean” tonight and I am alway angry about how I forget this stuff exists. Normally my “normal weekend” is Talisker or Oban but the aforementioned is a true treat without abusing the wallet too much.

Albeit a bit sweet but great in lieu of port, IMO, after a good meal and the conversations after.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I picked up a bottle of the Laphroaig 10 (Original Cask Strength) the other day at the ABC store. It's about $10 more than the Quarter Cask which has been my go-to for single malt the last few years.

Wow. I'm sorry it took me this long to get around to it. It's just better in every way...more of everything I like about the Quarter Cask. Perfectly fine neat, to my taste. Needs no water imho. No shrinking violet at 117 proof.

There's nothing civil about this war.

User Tag List