Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast

Thread: The good stuff? (Scotch)

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Other than the Islay offerings, the only others I have in the cabinet are The Macallan 12 and Balvenie Doublewood. And a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue we brought back from our niece's wedding. (It's awful, imho.)
    I’ve gotten hooked on The Balvenie Caribbean Cask. If you like the Doublewood and like rum, you should really enjoy it.

Site Supporter
    Haven't opened it yet, later this evening. I've been wanting to try it since I had one of my characters drinking it. It was the 17-year-old stuff in the book. I'll settle for trying the 12-year-old.

Name:  Glenlivit-12.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  27.6 KB

Site Supporter
    Interesting article on whisky the world wide. Recommendations for the best from the classic sources and some countries I didn't even know made the stuff.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joemica...h=44d5dca3ccd1

The sampler sounds great and outside of my price range. When I went to Scotland years ago, my daughter and I stopped in a Scotch store on the Royal Mile and there was a classically dressed Scotsman giving out tiny samples to all, even my 14 year old. I bought a twenty or so sampler to take home. Sadly all gone by now. Also an artisanal cheese as I related before, got the drug dog in Seattle all excited about my suitcase.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    Haven't opened it yet, later this evening. I've been wanting to try it since I had one of my characters drinking it. It was the 17-year-old stuff in the book. I'll settle for trying the 12-year-old.

Name:  Glenlivit-12.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  27.6 KB
    That's good stuff. I went looking for a bottle I had last winter. I couldn't find it, so I texted one of my friends. We realized that we'd lift it and a bottle of Talisker 10 (along with a tote of other items) at a cabin last winter that you can only reach by snowmobile. I guess I have something to look forward to come winter.

Both my father and brother enjoyed Scotch, but I never understood their fascination. Through the miracle of online genealogy, some archive sleuthing, and genetic testing, our family recently learned that our mysterious paternal forefather who arrived in America in the 1890’s was actually Scottish and not Welch, in contrast to what was declared on his immigration documents. Perhaps that ancestry explains my new found appreciation of the complex flavors in a good Scotch whisky and my recent foray to explore them.

Name:  Scotch Tasting.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  46.2 KB

During this tasting journey, I tried to acquire samples of whisky from each region in Scotland: Lowland, Campbeltown, Islay, Speyside, Highland, and the Islands (some argue that the Islands are technically part of the Highlands, although to me the overarching flavors are quite different). Sadly, I have yet to find a Lowland Scotch whisky which I want to own; the few that were readily available in my locale were universally mediocre and disappointing.

Glen Scotia 15 (Campbeltown): From one of only three distilleries left in Campbeltown; while approachable and acceptable, this single malt is a just a bit mundane and pedestrian—dry, without the focused sweet, smoke, fruit, or peat notes found in many of the other exceptional drams which I have now explored.

Lagavulin 16 (Islay): On first taste, it comes on with some peat, salt, iodine, and smoke, but feels a bit thin in the mouth, tapering to a relatively long, but slightly medicinal flavored finish.

Ardbeg 19 Traigh Bhan (Islay): When you want a cigar after your meal, but don’t want to torch your trachea and lungs with hot toxic fumes, then have a taste of this fine beverage. On the first sip, I thought I inadvertently licked an ash tray; on the second it felt like I was cuddled up to a campfire roasting marshmallows; by the third I was lost in a wondrous cacophony of bold scents and flavors. Powerful and glorious!

Laphroaig 25 (Islay): An urbane and cultured Islay whiskey whose time maturing in both Oloroso sherry casks, as well as American bourbon barrels, contributes to a bit of sweetness, as well as some mild peat and oceanic flavors, as it rolls over the tongue and lingers through a long finish.

Bunnahabhain 25 (Islay): Ever so smooth, but without as much smoke, peat, or salt flavors as exhibited by other Islays—in many ways the flavor is more reminiscent of a Highland or Speyside. Although very good, perhaps somewhat overpriced.

Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask (Speyside): An utterly fantastic daily sipper that is easy to drink and is filled with amazing flavors of vanilla and hints of slightly sweet tropical fruit. Every friend and colleague who has tried it has expressed pleasure in its appeal. I suspect it will always reside on our shelf, especially given what a great value it is.

Macallan 18 Sherry Oak Cask (Speyside): A smooth and graceful beverage, sort of a single malt analogue to Johnny Walker Blue Label, but perhaps missing a bit of excitement and adventure, especially given the cost.

Balvenie 21 Portwood (Speyside): Elegantly, smooth, rich, and sensual—like a lovers kiss or a perfect symphony. If I could only have one Scotch whisky, this might be it—highly recommended!

Glenfarclas 25
    (Speyside): What a refined and poised expression! Delicate sherry and oak balancing together with an intricate background of floral, fruit, nuts, and chocolate. This is a huge winner!

Glenmorangie Cignet (Highland): This is the dram that opened my eyes to Scotch Whiskey when a bottle was gifted to me by a colleague. It is purportedly a mix of 8-40yo whiskeys (allegedly 80% is greater than 30yo) aged in American oak casks and made using roasted chocolate malt barley with no chill filtration. It offers a symphony of marvelous flavors including espresso, chocolate, a bit of zesty orange, caramel, and some honey notes. This has been previously awarded “Whisky of the Year” by the International Whiskey Competition. We have gone through several bottles….

anCnoc 24 (Highland): Produced by Knockdhu Distillery with natural color and no chill filtration. This is a surprisingly delightful whisky, offering a grand mix of dried fruit, a bit of orange and ginger zing, with sherry notes throughout, along with some balancing pepper. I will definitely be getting more of this classic tasting malt!

Glengoyne 25 (Highland): This is a wonderful journey into a sophisticated and graceful sherried single malt with flavors of raisin, plum, some cherry, as well as fig, and a whisp of orange, with an old leather and tobacco essence on the long finish. Well worth it!

Talisker 18 (Island): This comes from the sole distillery on the Isle of Skye in the inner Hebrides of western Scotland. A nice complex balance of pepper, mild peat, smoke, and a touch of salt, with a murmur of sweetness calling from the background. This is definitely worth enjoying!

Highland Park 18 (Island): When first gifted this bottle, which hails from the Orkney Isles in the far North, it tasted a bit like kerosene littered with highly discordant flavors, so the bottle was put down and remained untouched for several months. When approached again, all who tried it were astounded by how it had smoothed out and offered a beautiful balance of light peat, a bit of sherry and honey sweetness, with echoes of plums, raisins, some apricot preserve, and a slight hint of smoke. Just fabulous!

Arran 20 Broderick Bay (Island): Wow! Such a complex and beautiful beverage matured in both bourbon and sherry casks. Some alluring whispers of sweetness, dark fruit, and cocoa. Unexpectedly it has become one of my favorites!
    Last edited by DocGKR; 01-24-2022 at 04:59 PM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Doc, I think it's safe to say you can quit your day job and become a professional single malt reviewer.

I may have to pour a dram in your honor this evening.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Doc you are correct Balvenie 14 is delish. All the Balvenie's are great in my opinion. Glenfarclas 12 is also great for the money.

I'll play.

After become disillusioned with bourbon about 5 years ago, when everyone and his brother suddenly became fanatics and bought-up everything in sight and/or drove prices through the roof, I turned away from bourbon and turned towards scotch.

As you know, bourbon is generally sweeter in flavor and often hotter (higher-proof) than scotch but typically lower in price; scotch often presents a lower proof, a much longer finish and more complex notes along the way. It takes time for one's palate to mature enough to truly enjoy some of the heartier scotch expressions, but I can say that I've appreciated the ride and have discovered some truly wonderful pours, mostly leaning towards peaty ones from Islay. Here's a handful of peaty and non-peaty that I enjoy:

Lagavulin 16 - Moderately soft mouth feel and wonderful brine, soft smoke and peat on the palate. Price keeps marching upward just as availability has continued to shrink (near me).

Ardbeg 10 - Semi-viscous mouth feel (which I truly enjoy), with hints of fruits and seasoned meats on the nose; rich, softly smoky/peaty flavor on the palate. Long finish.

Ardbeg An Oa - A favorite for after a nice steak dinner. Fantastic essence of chocolate cake and smooth, even, long-lasting finish.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask - Wonderfully peaty nose and dramatic camphor/smoke on the palate. Long finish. Funny---6-7 years ago I wouldn't tolerate even a sip of such a concoction, and now I absolutely love it.

Macallan 12 - Mildly pungent and rather 'proofy' on the nose, more of a traditional scotch flavor with a moderate finish. Tried and true, and likely to please a crowd of scotch drinkers.

Oban 14 - Hints of orange, honey, sea salt and very, very soft smoke. If you like scotch but don't favor strong expressions, this one is sure to please---more of a crown pleasure than Macallan 12. (I was lucky enough to enjoy the distillery tour while in Scotland a few years back. Was a wonderful visit through a hundreds-year-old building. I enjoyed a few more pours later that evening in a pub called Whisky Vault, where the locals insisted on buying rounds, which we reciprocated. What a trip.)

All that said, I can probably talk much more about bourbon. I'll search for that thread...

Laphroaig Quarter Cask is usually the one I reach for...followed by Ardbeg Uigeadail.

Macallan 12 was my first foray into "better" scotch, as well as Balvenie Double Wood. I haven't had them much since I got hooked on peat.

My wife doesn't care for the peaty stuff...(thankfully), so when she's inclined it's the Macallan or Balvenie.

I won't bother trying to cover tasting notes...as they have been much better described by others.

Still enjoy good bourbon...and in truth, drink more of it...which is not a lot in either case.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Following my general regional tasting described above, several older Scotch whiskys found their way into my possession.

Name:  IMG_9019 copy.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  88.9 KB

Glenfarclas 40 (Speyside): This beautiful, spry whisky from a family owned distillery is designed for drinking, coming in a simple cardboard tube and not some fancy display packaging; for its age and sophistication, it is a true bargain. So rich, balanced, and deeply refined, yet still reverberating with many of the classic Glenfarclas floral, fruit, and nut characteristics present in some of their younger versions. This is worth getting again!

Balvenie 30 (Speyside): After resting three decades in both sherry casks and American Bourbon barrels, this whisky from a family owned distillery offers an incredibly smooth ride. There is some power and big dry oak here, so let it breath a bit before quaffing. Leather, nuts, a bit of bitter orange, touches of sherry, and some pepper notes abound. While good, I prefer the Balvenie 21 Portwood flavors—but don’t believe me, Balvenie Malt Master David Stewart also prefers the Portwood! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7zecs8jwIc)

Glenmorangie Grand Vintage 1997
    (Highland): This is the seventh edition of the Glenmorngie special Bond House No. 1 Collection crafted by Director of Whisky Creation, Dr. Bill Lumsden. While only 23yo, this is a special whisky, spending some 10 years in standard bourbon casks, followed by another 13 years in wine barrels from the stellar Château Montrose in Saint-Estèphe, Bordeaux. Portions also reportedly spent some time in Oloroso sherry casks. The results are spectacular, with a fascinating infusion of berry and fruit flavors quite evident, along with a gentle spice in the long finish. 95 points at the International Whisky Competition. Don’t miss out!

Talisker 30 (Island): Vibrant and alive, with a classic Talisker flavor profile demonstrating an intricate equilibrium of peat, smoke, sea salt, and pepper, with a subtle background siren’s call of sweetness. Just magnificent!

Highland Park 30 (Island): This is a bold and powerful whisky which tastes younger and more vibrant than it’s 30 year age statement. It offers some Orkney peat, a smoldering light smoke essence, some tobacco and leather, as well as a bit of eggnog evocation. In spite of that, the excellent 18 & 21 are perhaps a better value.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

User Tag List