Thread: Once again Texas beats California...

Once again Texas beats California...

In being progressively accepting of all people:

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...#disablemobile

It's amazing how so many "enlightened" states have more hate crime.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    The all-too-easy counterargument is that whether something is a hate crime or not depends entirely on the reporting agency. Silicon Acres, CA PD might report things differently than Dead Armadillo County Sheriff's Office.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    The all-too-easy counterargument is that whether something is a hate crime or not depends entirely on the reporting agency. Silicon Acres, CA PD might report things differently than Dead Armadillo County Sheriff's Office.
    I was thinking that.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Site Supporter
    CA - 1040/37691912 = 0.0028%
    TX - 152/25629269 = 0.0006%

Forgive me if I believe that reporting procedures don't cover the >4x difference.

Now if we're talking about Mississippi, GA and LA.... which had the LOWEST rates.. 0.0001%, 0.0002 and 0.0002% respectively... well.. THAT must be a reporting problem...

Dishonorable mention... DC, 0.0134%.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Not to mention questions like:

What constitutes a hate crime in a given state?
    How homogenous vs. integrated a state's population is?

Same reason it's difficult to directly compare violent crime between Europe and US - EU countries define violent crime differently, with European definitions being wider.

Anecdotally, bigotry is more prevalent in southern states. Where the "truth" actually lies is in what data is gathered, how it's defined, and how it's gathered.

As a multi-year resident of both CA and TX, I can tell you I got many more "race card" vibes in CA. As a brown-blooded spic with a fair amount of exploration of The South under my belt, I can tell you I've only gotten any "race card" vibes in the big cities. Single data point, but it does color my own perceptions.

That said, both CA and TX are rabidly anti-Cuban. I can put up with questions about my fluency in Mexican, or read-your-mind games where folks always guess I'm from Mexico City. But when you call my guayabera a "Mexican Wedding Shirt," I'm dialing 911 to report a hate crime.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by mariodsantana View Post
    That said, both CA and TX are rabidly anti-Cuban.
    Depends on who you hang out with, I think.
    Maybe the TX/CA Messicans' don't like you but I've not run into anyone else who would be so inclined.
    One of our US Senators is of Cuban descent. You may have heard of Ted?

Me, I base my biases on how I feel about your ethnic cuisine.
    Cuban is near the top for me (behind Malay, Thai and Japanese). Lived in Tampa for a few years.. right around the corner from a great Cuban place.
    WifeGBiv makes a kick-ass pernil (yes, I know that's typically PR, but she makes it with a Cuban style mojo, so, I'm calling it Cuban )
    Just don't feed me any Cuban coffee... My heart can't handle it.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Depends on who you hang out with, I think.
    Maybe the TX/CA Messicans' don't like you but I've not run into anyone else who would be so inclined.
    One of our US Senators is of Cuban descent. You may have heard of Ted?
    I was totally joking, of course! Those Texas girls, especially, made me wish I had spent more time there in my youth, when I might have made more use of my, ah, exotic upbringing. It's just hilarious how everyone assumes I'm Mexican, though, west of the Mississippi. Epic trolling potential, especially with "sensitive" white folks who worry about insulting me.

And yeah, Tampa has the best Cuban sandwiches on the planet.

But back on topic, I'll stick to what I said: the size of the city has more to do with my experience of racism, than geographical location.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Site Supporter
    My sarcasm detector must be on the fritz today. I'll blame it on the storms.

A house around the corner took a lightning strike this afternoon. No serious damage thankfully, but lots of emergency responders.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Also worth mentioning is the fact that in California, gang activity is often split by racial lines. Black gangs like the Bloods & Crips are often targeted for by Latin Kings/Surenos/MS13/etc over turf wars that eventually turn into simmering racial feuds. Also worth mentioning is the fact that some of the most active and dangerous neonazi/white power/skinhead gangs first began in California prisons (Aryan Nations, for example, and the Nazi Low Riders). Asian gang activity is also HUGE in California, though not as much as it was maybe 10-15 years ago. LA is RIFE with racial hatred that has roots in decades of bloody gang violence over drugs/turf/whatever.... that, plus the white prison gangs probably makes for honestly a lot more racial hatred in California than there is in Texas. Just not necessarily from those that we would consider "well to do." As in, those who haven't shot their first rival gang member at the age of 13.

There is a LOT of violence in CA, and the influence of gang activity on the shape it takes is considerable. There are certainly plenty of innocent people targeted because of their race as a result. Gang wars between Black and Latino gangs sometimes results in people being targeted simply because of their race and their neighborhood, regardless of their association with a gang. It's pretty tragic. To my (limited) knowledge, Texas does not have gangs as large and organized as California, which really is where most gang violence in America began.

User Tag List