Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Films of Michael Mann

Agreed, great thread.

I had mentioned this in an earlier thread, but one of the things that is interesting about Mann is his willingness to revisit earlier material. If you were ever curious what Heat would look like on a 1980s 'made-for-TV' budget, check out Mann's previous attempt at this storyline, L.A. Takedown. Yes, even many of the character names (Hanna, Waingro, etc) are the same. I've linked the bank robbery sequence below, which is a surprisingly close analogue to Heat, but be warned - what has been seen cannot be unseen.

Amazing what a difference a $60 million budget can make...

Mann revisited elements of Heat in 2002 when he produced the television series Robbery Homicide Division, which followed an elite unit of detectives very similar to Hanna's. Tom Sizemore (who played Michael Cherrito in Heat) was cast in the role of Lieutenant Sam Cole. Sadly, the series didn't make it past its first season (largely due to Sizemore's arrest), though it showed promise.

I'm looking forward to his cyber movie, but I'd also like to see Mann revisit the crime genre on the small screen. His most recent venture, the cancelled Luck on HBO, didn't draw my interest. He's taken two swings at the police procedural though on TV and missed - LA Takedown was supposedly the pilot for a longer series (though thankfully it didn't get picked up, as perhaps Heat would never have been made), and Robbery Homicide Division didn't make it past the first season. I'd love to see him try one more time on HBO...
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I'm a fan of Mann, but I long ago came to terms with the fact that action movies aren't documentaries. I do love quality gunplay and UNIX skills, but it's also fun to watch the shenanigans as they ensue. Hell, if I ever do another startup, I'll have to figure out how to incorporate certain elements of Swordfish into the business plan...
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Quote Originally Posted by mariodsantana View Post
    Hell, if I ever do another startup, I'll have to figure out how to incorporate certain elements of Swordfish into the business plan...
    Certain elements of Swordfish are good enough to be a business plan in and of themselves.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Wow, I wanted a SPAS-15 so bad in the early 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I had mentioned this in an earlier thread, but one of the things that is interesting about Mann is his willingness to revisit earlier material. If you were ever curious what Heat would look like on a 1980s 'made-for-TV' budget, check out Mann's previous attempt at this storyline, L.A. Takedown. Yes, even many of the character names (Hanna, Waingro, etc) are the same. I've linked the bank robbery sequence below, which is a surprisingly close analogue to Heat, but be warned - what has been seen cannot be unseen.

Amazing what a difference a $60 million budget can make...

Mann revisited elements of Heat in 2002 when he produced the television series Robbery Homicide Division, which followed an elite unit of detectives very similar to Hanna's. Tom Sizemore (who played Michael Cherrito in Heat) was cast in the role of Lieutenant Sam Cole. Sadly, the series didn't make it past its first season (largely due to Sizemore's arrest), though it showed promise.

I'm looking forward to his cyber movie, but I'd also like to see Mann revisit the crime genre on the small screen. His most recent venture, the cancelled Luck on HBO, didn't draw my interest. He's taken two swings at the police procedural though on TV and missed - LA Takedown was supposedly the pilot for a longer series (though thankfully it didn't get picked up, as perhaps Heat would never have been made), and Robbery Homicide Division didn't make it past the first season. I'd love to see him try one more time on HBO...

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I've linked the bank robbery sequence below, which is a surprisingly close analogue to Heat, but be warned - what has been seen cannot be unseen.
    Yet it's still better than shootout scenes in most movies.

What rifle was that the detective was using, an AR18?

ETA: Looked it up on IMFDB, it was a Spas-15. I'd ever heard of a Spas-15, just the 12. And, of course, now I've actually bothered to read LHS's post above mine.....

I'm disappointed there's no HK P7. How are you going to make an 80's villain movie without a P7?
    Last edited by TGS; 05-19-2013 at 08:38 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm disappointed there's no HK P7. How are you going to make an 80's villain movie without a P7?
    Indeed. There is a vacancy in my safe for a hard chromed P7M13.

Site Supporter
    Michael Mann is no longer worthy of my time, or treasure given his continued support for Roman Polanski.
    I will miss his good faith efforts to tactical detail.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...489885784.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/01/mo...pola.html?_r=0

Stumbled across this today; got a kick out of it even though it's airsoft.

User Tag List