Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Films of Michael Mann

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Since we're discussing that iconic scene... this is quite possibly the weirdest (and perhaps most dedicated) Miami Vice parody I've ever seen. I'm not sure why you would do this, but they sure put a lot of effort into it.

I'm, well, speechless. That took considerable time, or so it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by UniSol View Post
    I seem to be one of the odd ones out that liked Miami Vice. It's not Heat but I enjoyed the Michael Mann-isms. Sparse dialogue, big wide shots, gunplay, good soundtrack. Some of the skinheads from Collateral showed back up in MV. I think one of them was the 2nd guy that Vincent burns down in the Mozambique drill scene.
    He uses some “edible” gun handling in the ridiculous world that is Hollywood, that always creates a modicum of credibility. FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I really need to watch the original Miami Vice series. It was before my time and I never saw episodes airing on TV while I was younger. The sequence RJ just posted was very well filmed and if the rest of the series was done in the same manner, I think I would enjoy it. Is it available for streaming on any of the major services?

ETA: Looks like the series is available to stream for free on NBC so I just need to download the NBC app to my Apple TV.
    I'd start with the Pilot, and then go right to Calderone's Return, as Jim Zubiena's appearance is probably the most referenced scene on this forum, and among gun enthusiasts, to the point of inspiring the Vice Card Challenge (related discussion thread - Miami vice card challenge/Mozambique). From there, the first two seasons have a number of iconic episodes. Season three sees Dick Wolf take over more creative control of the series, with a distinct change in appearance and tone. Still some good stuff, but not as ground-breaking.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Kinda OT, but between the Miami Vice parody and the Foghorn Leghorn Supercut in the Glock Gen 5 trigger thread, P-F is KILLING IT this week!

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    Also agree. It was a damn chick flick and I hate Colin anyway.
    I like the 50Cal shot through the car scene. Through the whole car.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    I like the 50Cal shot through the car scene. Through the whole car.
    Yeah right there I was thinking this was gonna be one of the best movies ever made! But then downhill from there.

Looking for something else, found this Mozambique tonight.

Not a dark pin run, but pretty satisfying, I reckon.

Fair. Caan takes too long to take the head.

Last edited by JSGlock34; 12-30-2020 at 09:04 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

My favorite Mann film remains Manhunter. I recently watched Red Dragon and it was competent. Unobjectionable. Forgettable.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    My favorite Mann film remains Manhunter. I recently watched Red Dragon and it was competent. Unobjectionable. Forgettable.
    Manhunter is excellent. I feel like it doesn't get the credit it deserves because it's kinda overshadowed by Mann's other work.

User Tag List