Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phoenix City Council approves sending arms to Ukraine..

Phoenix City Council approves sending arms to Ukraine..

Wasn't there a city council recently that got fooled into forming a "sister city" relationship with a country some dude just made up?

With that kind of world-class gullibility, forgive me for thinking international small arms trading may not be the most suitable activity for a city council.

Ukraine needs more Hi Points.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Interesting comments in the article discussion about state law requiring these be auctioned off.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Well anyway, it was a nice gesture. Makes the council feel all important also. That has to be worth something. Hugs all around.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Interesting comments in the article discussion about state law requiring these be auctioned off.
    As I understand it, the distinction being made is that these guns were impounded for whatever reason, and no one ever asked for them back, as opposed to guns that were ordered to be forfeited pursuant to ARS 13-3105, which requires that guns that are “used, displayed or unlawfully possessed by the person” who has been convicted of a felony involving those elements be “forfeited and sold within one year after its forfeiture.”

https://www.azleg.gov/ars/13/03105.htm

I doubt that Ukraine will be getting any Glocks out of this deal, as I have been at the Phoenix Regional Academy range where PPD qualifies and seen Officers with their newly-issued “bag o’gun” where a seizure Glock is issued from evidence to the LEO (hopefully with at least some checks performed by a Dept. armorer…)

The impression I get about Phoenix’s property-handling, if the Hi-Points that are going to Ukraine were in pristine shape when they were impounded, they’re probably pretty beat up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Ukraine needs more Hi Points.
    Throw-downs to be found next to the outstretched hands of Russian soldiers?

Quote Originally Posted by Sero Sed Serio View Post

I doubt that Ukraine will be getting any Glocks out of this deal, as I have been at the Phoenix Regional Academy range where PPD qualifies and seen Officers with their newly-issued “bag o’gun” where a seizure Glock is issued from evidence to the LEO (hopefully with at least some checks performed by a Dept. armorer…)
    Wow, that's wild. Thanks for the context.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Wow, that's wild. Thanks for the context.
    Of course.

I know other agencies in the area have issued seizure guns in the past (I knew two Mesa Officers who were issued seized Gen. 2 G22s, one in the late 90s and the other in the early 00s), but I’m not sure if the practice continued as Mesa moved through Gen 3 .40s, a mix of Gen. 4 .40/9, and finally G17s as the current default issue.

Last time I physically saw anything w/PPD would have been ‘13 or ‘14 (G30 in a Zip-Loc gallon bag with loose mags and ammo) but I assume the practice continues.

Phoenix has also gone through a significant transition in weapon policy—they used to be a strictly .40 or .45 agency until the mid-00s, but they would send issued guns through Robar for grip reductions. As of a few years ago they opened up to allow 9/40/45 Glocks, including C models, P320s, and I think M&Ps, but not certain. I currently work in Phoenix (not in LE) although since I’m near the capitol, my area is mainly patrolled by DPS, not PPD, but all I see in the wild are Glocks and a sprinkling of P320s. In talking to a pretty switched-on PPD gun guy (who was running a Gen. 3 17C POW), the P10 was rejected because pulling the trigger with the slide out of battery required that the slide be cycled before the trigger would reset.

I'm still amazed that the city council thought this is a useful idea in a war or jets, armor, artillery, missiles, and drones.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

User Tag List