Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: The Films of Michael Mann

Site Supporter

Site Supporter

It better be good!
    --Jason--

Heat was the best LE drama of the 90s and in the top 10 of any LE drama ever to come across the large or small screen. The characters have been exhausted and their actors look like bacon. Any sequel would do to the Heat brand what time, cigarettes, bourbon, and cancer did to Val Kilmer’s career.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Heat was the best LE drama of the 90s and in the top 10 of any LE drama ever to come across the large or small screen. The characters have been exhausted and their actors look like bacon. Any sequel would do to the Heat brand what time, cigarettes, bourbon, and cancer did to Val Kilmer’s career.
    Chances are that you're right. Maverick pulled it off, but it's very much the exception to the rule.

Matt Haught
    SYMTAC Consulting LLC
    https://sym-tac.com

In my opinion, the third version of A Star is Born is the best. And I thought that Batman should have ended with Michael Keaton, but I was completely wrong about that. True Grit should not be remade, I would have said, but I was completely wrong about that too. Maybe we're being too cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    I listened to the podcast linked in the article a few days ago and it was interesting listening to Mann's insight about the characters. He really, even from the beginning, gave each character a history as far back as childhood that made them who they were. I think a "Godfather II" style sequel of Heat would be great. In the podcast Mann talks about his background and some of his other films. If you're a fan you should give it a listen.

I wish people/directors would learn that prequels mostly suck. You already know who is going to live so where is the drama? Heat, though not a perfect film, is my favorite film. It is best left to stand alone.

I have mixed feelings about this.

Heat is my favorite film. It's a masterpiece. Complete. Comprehensive. I find it hard to envision a prequel/sequel that would complement it. It is Mann's apex work.

On the other hand, Heat's DNA is complicated. It is descended from a TV pilot, so clearly these characters and stories were intended to continue. Robbery Homicide Division (sadly cancelled after one season) was obviously a recast version of Hanna's squad from the film, but the series never found its audience and was plagued by actor Tom Sizemore's personal disaster zone. Perhaps it was before its time...personally, I wish Mann would revisit this concept, as there is space in the streaming universe for a Mann inspired police procedural.

I am compelled to read the book, and I'm hoping that it reflects Mann's obsessive attention to detail. But my biggest fear is that his major contribution will be putting his name on the cover.

I'm not sure how any prequel/sequel movie could recapture the electricity of DeNiro and Pacino colliding on screen, arguably at the height of their respective careers.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 07-25-2022 at 10:32 AM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Michael Mann doesn't need any fancy repeatin' firearms. He does just fine with muzzle loaders, tomahawks, and a vengeful Mohican father with a frightfully large war club:

http://The Last of the Mohicans Fina...be/iGz3XxDTsCk

One of the best final fight scenes ever.

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk
    Concur. The Mann version of "Last of the Mohicans" is a great film. Even the wife loves it (for different reasons, though).
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    I listened to the podcast linked in the article a few days ago and it was interesting listening to Mann's insight about the characters. He really, even from the beginning, gave each character a history as far back as childhood that made them who they were. I think a "Godfather II" style sequel of Heat would be great. In the podcast Mann talks about his background and some of his other films. If you're a fan you should give it a listen.
    I listened to the podcast today and then listened to James Caan's interview. Both were good. Thank you for the recommendation.
    --Jason--

User Tag List