Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Films of Michael Mann

Site Supporter
    There is apparently a Miami Vice reboot (Forever Miami ?) coming in 2021 with the original cast. Anyone know if Mann is involved ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    There is apparently a Miami Vice reboot (Forever Miami ?) coming in 2021 with the original cast. Anyone know if Mann is involved ?

Looks like a fan-made trailer with footage cobbled together from different movies. At least one of those scenes (skull mask with AK) is from Sicario.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    Looks like a fan-made trailer with footage cobbled together from different movies. At least one of those scenes (skull mask with AK) is from Sicario.
    There are multiple trailers on youtube and supposedly Don Johnson mentioned the new series in a recent interview.

I've seen those and I hope that isn't true. Some things are products of their time and should be left alone. The things that made MV iconic can't be repeated. You can't catch lightning in a bottle twice and trying to would be pitifully tragic.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I've seen those and I hope that isn't true. Some things are products of their time and should be left alone. The things that made MV iconic can't be repeated. You can't catch lightning in a bottle twice and trying to would be pitifully tragic.
    A last hurrah movie or a mini series would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    Otis Driftwood from The Devil’s Rejects had a cameo as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I was up late last night prepping for a night shoot this evening and I watched Blackhat and Miami Vice. The former was as bad as I remember it being when we watched it in theaters. I'm not computer savvy enough to pick up on missteps in relation to the hacking stuff, but overall I just didn't enjoy it.

I haven't watched Miami Vice (movie) in a long time, but I didn't dislike it as much this time around. That could possibly be because I watched it after Blackhat which is kind of a turd. I remember watching Miami Vice in theaters when it came out, it was our first date night after our oldest daughter was born a few months prior and I felt let down. Maybe I (we) expected too much from a movie remake nearly two decades after the show ended, but I agree the characters felt flat and one dimensional, which may be the product of time constraints of a 2hr movie vs a tv series with over 100 episodes.
    I think lots of folks kinda view the movie from the wrong place. I say this having never seen the series when it was a thing, I did it all via Netflix, on disc, but the movie to me is an homage. It's not as bad as a Tom Clancy plot generator movie, but it's a mashup of Miami Vice stuff made into a Miami Vice movie, with modern actors in modern times. For me, it gets better with time.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

There's been rumors of a reboot for a few years now. Vin Diesel was involved at one point. I suspect it will eventually happen.

If they're going to revisit the material, I'd be interested to see what they could do with a modern longer format show on a streaming service. I bet the premise of the pilot episode could stretch into an entire season.

Maybe it would be best to keep it in the 80s.

Having see the rebooted Magnum PI on Network TV...if that's the new standard...hard pass.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I think lots of folks kinda view the movie from the wrong place. I say this having never seen the series when it was a thing, I did it all via Netflix, on disc, but the movie to me is an homage. It's not as bad as a Tom Clancy plot generator movie, but it's a mashup of Miami Vice stuff made into a Miami Vice movie, with modern actors in modern times. For me, it gets better with time.
    I was 8 or 9 during the last couple seasons which is when I started watching it, and revisited the series in my teens with reruns. It was definitely better this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    There's been rumors of a reboot for a few years now. Vin Diesel was involved at one point. I suspect it will eventually happen.

If they're going to revisit the material, I'd be interested to see what they could do with a modern longer format show on a streaming service. I bet the premise of the pilot episode could stretch into an entire season.

Maybe it would be best to keep it in the 80s.

Having see the rebooted Magnum PI on Network TV...if that's the new standard...hard pass.
    If it's to be revisited, it needs to be done on a streaming service that hopefully won't put out some candy coated nonsense like the Magnum PI remake.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I’ve been watching it, but admittedly it’s not great. It’s kind of like when it’s the only thing left on the DVR kind of show.

Hawaii 5-0 reboot was better, but Scott Caan kept that show from being really good. Towards the end he seemed to be missing in several episodes, so maybe they figured it out, albeit a bit late.

User Tag List