Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Films of Michael Mann

I must be one of the few people who actually enjoyed Blackhat.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I must be one of the few people who actually enjoyed Blackhat.
    I liked it - some impressive shootout scenes - including some good work with 1911.

There was a DRT CNS shot in Miami Vice, which is a scene I remember fondly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    There was a DRT CNS shot in Miami Vice, which is a scene I remember fondly.

Definitely a missed opportunity to reference this scene and dialogue in the movie during the hostage scene in the trailer park.

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I think Mann likes the Sig 220 as it's frequently seen in his movies and was Sonny's initial pistol in the TV Miami Vice. Sonny even used it towards the end of the series when he became "Bad Sonny". I bet if the Bren Ten hadn't come along Sonny would of had a Sig through out the series. I'm surprised after the Bren was dropped from the series the Sig 220 didn't replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    Definitely a missed opportunity to reference this scene and dialogue in the movie during the hostage scene in the trailer park.

That's the one.

So I stumbled across this pic of DeNiro from Heat that I never saw before and thought I'd share. Guess Neil liked appendix carry for his SIG.
    Name:  heatn4-main.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  22.5 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    So I stumbled across this pic of DeNiro from Heat that I never saw before and thought I'd share. Guess Neil liked appendix carry for his SIG.
    Name:  heatn4-main.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  22.5 KB
    Crossdraw appendix here

Blackhat is on TV right now, and it is really bad, but it did have one decent shootout. Great 1911 work, but really, the better choice was to keep shooting people in the back, and not drive into the kill zone.
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I'm a big fan, but I have to say (and I may be in the minority her) but for some reason the 2006 Miami Vice always lets me down. I find the characters, in particular Colin Ferrell, seems very flat and one-dimensional. Maybe it's the script. I am not sure what it is. I don't think it holds a candle to the series.

I was up late last night prepping for a night shoot this evening and I watched Blackhat and Miami Vice. The former was as bad as I remember it being when we watched it in theaters. I'm not computer savvy enough to pick up on missteps in relation to the hacking stuff, but overall I just didn't enjoy it.

I haven't watched Miami Vice (movie) in a long time, but I didn't dislike it as much this time around. That could possibly be because I watched it after Blackhat which is kind of a turd. I remember watching Miami Vice in theaters when it came out, it was our first date night after our oldest daughter was born a few months prior and I felt let down. Maybe I (we) expected too much from a movie remake nearly two decades after the show ended, but I agree the characters felt flat and one dimensional, which may be the product of time constraints of a 2hr movie vs a tv series with over 100 episodes.

User Tag List