Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to refinish my P228

I want to refinish my P228

I carry a SIG P228 that is 24 years old. When I bought the pistol, it was in good condition and had a nice finish for a two decades old gun, even though SIGs aren't known for their spectacular finishes.

After many months of daily appendix carry, and many thousands of dry manipulations, and a thousand or so live rounds, the gun has become a little haggard. If it was just an appearance concern, I wouldn't care, but the speed at which my go to gun develops rust from riding against my torso all day is giving me some concerns. I'm also not huge on maintenance, so rubbing my pistol with an oily rag thrice a week isn't going to happen.

I am entertaining the idea of refinishing my gun, and I need some guidance, as I've never had a gun refinished. I'm looking for suggestions on both where to send the gun, and what finish to have applied. Ideally, the finish will do these things, in order of importance.

-Corrosion resistance
    -Minimal maintenance requirements
    -Cool looking

I've read good things about NP3, and I'm ok with a silver colored gun. We've now covered the extent of my knowledge about aftermarket finishes.

Thanks!
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

If you don't mind a silvery gun, NP3 would probably be hard to beat. The internals and mags of my pet P7 were done in NP3 and the exterior in Roguard because I wanted a black finish. The Roguard and other painted finishes do seem to wear eventually though, and aren't as tough as hard chrome or NP3. FWIW, I wish now I had just gone all NP3. My next one will be. (A 1981 IB production P7 pistol.)

I had a Metalifed (hard chrome) P7M8 about ten years ago that sure enough rusted after being carried appendix and not wiped down frequently in the NC summer. I sent it back and they re-did it, but the small spot that had rusted still showed as a tiny blemish under the new coat. Killed my OCD!

Robar has a new version of NP3 they call NP3 plus or something like that. Might be the way to go. (if you don't mind the hefty price tag.) I don't know about the the new diamond bonded stuff or whatever , but that sounds promising also. My advice is to avoid the paint-on finishes 'cause they show wear around the edges from holster work pretty fast.
    Last edited by Clyde from Carolina; 05-15-2013 at 10:15 PM.

We are diminished
    You may want to contact SIG and see what they can do. That would give you a chance to have the gun inspected and refinished at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    You may want to contact SIG and see what they can do. That would give you a chance to have the gun inspected and refinished at the same time.
    I thought about this before I even needed a refinish. A factory inspection is appealing to me, given the age of the pistol. Anything I should consider before I send the pistol in? It's stock save for some Trijicon night sights.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    I thought about this before I even needed a refinish. A factory inspection is appealing to me, given the age of the pistol. Anything I should consider before I send the pistol in? It's stock save for some Trijicon night sights.
    SRT?

Site Supporter
    I've been happy with CCR refinishing. Their CPII is essentially NP3. Cera-Hide would be Cerekote or very similar. I only have firsthand experience with the CPII, it wore well and wiped down quickly when dirty. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again. Last time I checked you could get on a wait list so you didn't have to send your gun off for a couple months.

I love Cerakote. Very slick & durable finish. I read something somewhere, and I may be completely wrong, but I thought Sig only refinished slides & not frames anymore. Again, don't quote me on that. You should def send it in though, refinish or not. They replace all the springs & roll pins if need be & give a good once over.

burnt orange...
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post

burnt orange...
    I don't know, they look like they did a pretty kitteny job. Their Cerakote has a PX4 on it.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    I don't know, they look like they did a pretty kitteny job. Their Cerakote has a PX4 on it.
    Hard to find non-standard colors on good guns.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List