Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New IDPA shooter looking for recommendations

New IDPA shooter looking for recommendations

Hello All,

I'm not new to firearms (as I've been in the reserves for some time now) but am new to competition shooting. I've been shooting at local IDPA events for a couple months and been having fun and improving my skills. Recently I shot an IDPA qualifier and just barely qualified marksman. I'm using a stock Beretta 92FS (because it's so similar to the M9) and want to stay with it.

I'd like to tap into the expertise of the forum to see how I can improve my scores. From the details I've posted below, I'm going to go ahead and say I need to improve both accuracy and time. The most difficult stage for me is still Stage 3. What recommendations can you suggest? What specific drills should I do to improve my overall score?

Thanks!

Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3
    String 1 5.52 6.28 30.8
    String 2 5.36 6.74 30.09
    String 3 5.57 17.69 10.25
    String 4 9.9 8.92
    String 5 5.78
    String 6 13.47
    String 7 9.83
    Raw Time55.43 39.63 71.14

Points Down
    T1 9 1 15
    T2 8 5 7
    T3 8 5 13
    Total PD 25 11 35
    TotalTime67.93 45.13 88.64
    Final score: 201.7

Quote Originally Posted by agoldin View Post
    Hello All,

I'm not new to firearms (as I've been in the reserves for some time now) but am new to competition shooting. I've been shooting at local IDPA events for a couple months and been having fun and improving my skills. Recently I shot an IDPA qualifier and just barely qualified marksman. I'm using a stock Beretta 92FS (because it's so similar to the M9) and want to stay with it.

I'd like to tap into the expertise of the forum to see how I can improve my scores. From the details I've posted below, I'm going to go ahead and say I need to improve both accuracy and time. The most difficult stage for me is still Stage 3. What recommendations can you suggest? What specific drills should I do to improve my overall score?

Thanks!

Stage 1 Stage 2 Stage 3
    String 1 5.52 6.28 30.8
    String 2 5.36 6.74 30.09
    String 3 5.57 17.69 10.25
    String 4 9.9 8.92
    String 5 5.78
    String 6 13.47
    String 7 9.83
    Raw Time55.43 39.63 71.14

Points Down
    T1 9 1 15
    T2 8 5 7
    T3 8 5 13
    Total PD 25 11 35
    TotalTime67.93 45.13 88.64
    Final score: 201.7
    Buy a timer and start practicing. Ben Stoeger's first book is really excellent.

I'll also suggest buying Steve Anderson's dryfire book and start sound dryfire drills at home. It is geared toward IPSC but most of it will apply to IDPA

On the "local" IDPA information site, there are a number of good links for improvement tips and such about a third of the way down on the right:

NEPA IDPA Scores

For stage 3, one of the guys on the old IDPA mailing list suggested shooting around the barricade at a plate rack (or some similar array of reactive targets) at 25+ yards. HTH
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    On the "local" IDPA information site, there are a number of good links for improvement tips and such about a third of the way down on the right:

NEPA IDPA Scores

For stage 3, one of the guys on the old IDPA mailing list suggested shooting around the barricade at a plate rack (or some similar array of reactive targets) at 25+ yards. HTH

Thanks gents for all the tips. you've certainly given me plenty with which to get started!

We are diminished
    For the most part, the IDPA Classifier is a good overall assessment of marksmanship at speed and gun handling. As such, you can improve your score best by simply improving your general shooting ability.

It's tough to assess simply from raw scores but that's a lot of points to give up on Stage 1. Those are all pretty easy shots. Did you miss any of the heads? The head box on an IDPA target is huge but the penalty for missing it is also significant so be sure you take the time necessary to make those hits.

Similarly, don't rush on Stage 3. But also keep in mind that time = points and points = time. If you spend five seconds breaking a -0 shot instead of 1 second breaking a -1 shot, you've made a mistake at least as far as the game is concerned. Don't let the cover get inside your head on Stage 3. Shooting is shooting. If you're positioning yourself in a way that you literally struggle with the barricade you need to move a little farther outboard.

Something else I wrote up years ago:
    • Strategies that work for a Master-class shooter are different than those that work for a MM-class shooter. Failing to realize, understand, and accept this truism is what keeps many people stuck at the MM/SS level.
    • Never miss a head shot. You shoot a total of nine head shots from a range of just 7 yd. The head on an IPDA target is huge-mongous(TM). If you can't hit the head in 1-2 seconds per shot at that range, then you are not ready to be shooting IDPA.
    • Be accurate but don't go so slowly that you shoot zero down on every target every string. Especially at the longer distances, dropping a point or two here and there can be worth what you gain in speed.
    • Know how to perform a proper reload. The number of people who consider themselves "serious" shooters who are absolutely in left field when it comes to reload technique is unbelievable. Reloads should be smooth and efficient. When they're on the clock, you should try to do them quickly. Shooting fast and then performing your reloads at a casual pace is just dumb.
    • Speaking of casual pace, there is exactly one string in the Classifier where you need to move quickly: Stage 3, String 2. When you move from the barricade to the barrel, RUN. Why in hell do some people just walk? The extra two or three seconds it takes you to move from Point A to Point B is reflected in your score.
    • There are two strings in the Classifier where you do not need to move quickly: Stage 2, Strings 1 & 2 (shooting while advancing, shooting while retreating). This is a game, not a gunfight. Focus 100% on your shooting and let your feet move as slowly as necessary to maximize your ability to deliver fast, accurate hits. I probably don't take three whole steps for either string, yet I'm still moving for every shot fired. Those are the rules, follow them.
    • Always start a string with your eyes on the target you are going to shoot first; whenever possible, have your torso turned toward that target. But keep your feet pointed toward the center of the target array (except for the first three strings in which you only engage one target; then have your whole body pointed at that one target before the buzzer goes off).
    • Don't hammer at the targets. Firing two lightning-fast shots makes it much harder/slower for most people to perform a smooth & fast transition to the next target. Giving up a few hundredths on your splits will gain you a couple tenths on your transitions. It's a good trade.
    • Perform a Tactical Reload (not Reload with Retention) on Stage 3 String 2, and the moment your fresh magazine is seated start sprinting towards the barrel. Get the spare mag stowed as you run.
    • Don't wear concealment. The idea of the Classifier is to compare apples to apples. The standards are based on shooting without concealment. If you wear a vest or shirt over your gun, you're really just sandbagging.
    • A lot of people like to follow a well thought out plan regarding how many rounds are in each magazine so that each stage works out just right. My advice: don't. Unless a string specifically requires you to start with a certain number of rounds in the gun, always start with the maximum allowed. Always have the maximum allowed in your spares. (a) This gives a little extra weight to the gun, reducing muzzle flip. (b) This will make your mags drop free faster and more reliably. (c) You will drastically reduce the odds of frakking up and having the wrong number of rounds in the gun. (d) You will have extra rounds in case you need to clear a stoppage.
    • Remember that it is just a game. The Classifier is actually a very good test of lots of shooting fundamentals, but it's controlled by a set of rules that reward and penalize certain things that have no relevancy to real life.

What Todd said.

Something that has worked for me. On stage 3 string 1 where you shoot from both sides of the barricade. I always set up before the beep to shoot from my weak side of the barricade first. This is the most awkward stance for me. If my feet are already in place, the shots are less awkward. I start with a funny bend in my weak side leg that lets me shoot more accurately. When I switch to the strong side, my feet automatically go into the right position.

I do a RWR here. I eject the mag into my weak hand, drop down, place it in my front pocket and sweep around for my fresh mag. Saves a little time and is very smooth.

We are diminished
    And I can vouch for Bill, he's shot a few IDPA matches.

Yes he has...but mostly with those funny looking guns with the round thingys in the middle of them.

ToddG's reply is spot on.

Also, do NOT miss those head shots early on!

AD

User Tag List