Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Let’s talk about front posts & rear notches

I just looked ans the HDs are .144 with a .169 so the size proportions would be similar if I ran the .140 front and the .164 rear. May give it a go and report back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I love the sights on my Sig P229 . A simple rear blade #8 with a white bar and a #8 FS with white dot.

Don't know the size of notch or width of FS

Now I like the FS on my P30S . But I hate the rear ramp like sight or Novak. I would take a P2000 rear sight any day.

Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Yeah, you can lose your light, or it may not work, or you may get injured and be down to SHO/WHO, etc., that said, you could have a malf, or trip over your feet too... It certainly can be argued that tritium may be a better choice given that s**t happens, but I personally don't think night sights are the necessity they're made out to be.

This is drifting towards tactics though and getting away from talking sight widths...
    I tend to agree about the NS. I don't have NS on my carbine or my M642 or P229. P30s has paint that glows bright enough to be of good use. To bad tritium isn't that bright.
    I like the Sig bar dot sights or all black sights. hate ramp or Novak type sights.

Although now they make all black sights with tritium inserts but without the color outline. If they are last longer than my NS on 1995 6906 (1year them became dim) I might look into them.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    What is your preferred width of front sight post and rear notch? I am specifically asking WRT to game guns, not carry guns.
    IF I were to build a game gun, it would have plain black Sevignys (0.150” rear notch and 0.115” post). But I shoot what I carry, so that's a 0.125" Ameriglo tritium post and a Meprolight adjustable rear with a gap that's 0.156" or thereabouts.

Okie John

Just set up my game gun with a .090 FO front, standard factory Beretta rear (I think it is .125" on a 92A1). So far, I really, really dig it.

This thread is reminding me that I need to figure out what to do with the sights on my Hi Power. They are pretty old and terrible.

Having been in several shootings, (all at night) I wouldn't have a self defense pistol without night sights. One of my shootings was under streetlights. I had no problem identifying the suspect and the pistol in his hand because of the light from the streetlights. It's strange what goes through your head but I remember thinking, "Wow, those sights are really bright" because I could see them so well.

For a target pistol, black sights are great.
    Dave Berryhill

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Although now they make all black sights with tritium inserts but without the color outline. If they are last longer than my NS on 1995 6906 (1year them became dim) I might look into them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
    Having been in several shootings, (all at night) I wouldn't have a self defense pistol without night sights. One of my shootings was under streetlights. I had no problem identifying the suspect and the pistol in his hand because of the light from the streetlights. It's strange what goes through your head but I remember thinking, "Wow, those sights are really bright" because I could see them so well.

For a target pistol, black sights are great.
    Thinking all-black sights, serrated front, non-serrated rear, that also had tritium in them without the annoying/distracting outline around the inserts would be great... Now I just have to find some..?

A set of Warren Sevigny Competition Sights (.115w front, .150w rear notch) that had tritium would be ideal for me.
    Last edited by CK1; 04-04-2014 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Added comment

Q for those that run the rounded notch rear sights: Is your sight picture the dot, F.O., or bead, nestled into the notch? If nestled into the notch, are the tops of the front and rear sight even at that alignment as well? If so what combo are you running?

Thanks

User Tag List