Thread: M&P9 Manual Safety

M&P9 Manual Safety

Does anyone know if a safety can be added to a pistol that did not come with one?

Thanks for your help.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by poptopjr View Post
    Does anyone know if a safety can be added to a pistol that did not come with one?

Thanks for your help.
    As far as I have been able to find the answer is no. You simply can't get the part you need, the sear block housing, to make the change. I've even gone so far as to see if the folks at Apex Tactical could do it, and I was told they can't make it happen. It looks like it should be a drop in process, and there was a rumor that S&W was going to a 'universal' block, rather than a dedicated block for thumb safety and non thumb safety variants but I don't know this for sure.

Site Supporter

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Can you clarify this? I'm not a member at the forum your referenced, but I still don't see a way to get the thumb safety sear block needed to install the safety lever and spring/detent.

Site Supporter
    That should give you the information you need to see if you have one of the universal sear blocks and the necessary frame cutouts. If you do, great, you can buy the parts and add the safety. If you don't, then you are out of luck. I don't think you have to be a member to read the thread or search the forum for other similar threads.

It depends on the frame, as well as the sear block. If your frame has the manual safety cutouts, then it is possible.

They might not be in stock, but I remember finding all of the parts (safety lever, universal sear block, detent thingamabob and spring) at http://www.speedshooterspecialties.c...02b971b9302826.

Scroll down the page and the items are there.

Really appreciate the help. I'll check mine out when I get home.

I know at least one person who has done it. He bought a late-production M&P45 online and didn't realize he got the model sans safety. When it arrived at his local dealer, he was a bit put out, but bought it anyway. The gun had the universal sear block and frame cutout, so he tracked down the safety levers and detent (I believe through the speed shooters website listed earlier) and installed them. Gun works fine now.

User Tag List