Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Fallacy of the Tactical Toolbox

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    For the ones that have made a real study of instructional theory and adult education, and putting it in the broadest of terms, taking the unfamiliar and relating it to something familiar is not only valid, but often required. Use of metaphors, similes, etc., can be extraordinarily helpful, and that's just for the auditory learner; that takes words that differ from those that strictly describe the concept or action being taught. Fold in tactile and visual learners, and all the ones that can be a combo of any two or all three. Now, you need metaphors and such that take the form of things other than words, too...
    Associational learning is very effective. If a student can associate the necessity, timing, and mechanics of a task to something they already do or understand they are ahead of the game. This is a tool in the toolbox of the instructor, reaching differential learners in whatever ways are needed.

I don't mind the tool-toolbox metaphor, as long as people aren't filling the box for the sake of itself expecting each to be of equal value.
    Last edited by ST911; 05-14-2013 at 03:22 PM.

I am no master mechanic, but my tool box has a ton of tools. Many are very specialized, and see limited use, but it doesn't change the fact that the right tool is necessary for the right job.

I am no master gunslinger, but my inventory has a lot of weapons. Many are very specialized, and see limited use, but it doesn't change the fact that the right weapon is necessary for the right job.

I am no master tactician, but my mind and body have a lot of TTP's to choose from. Many are very specialized and see limited use, but it doesn't change the fact that the right tactic, technique, or procedure is necessary for the right job.

The tool box analogy is simple, and it is one that most adults can grasp an overarching concept.

My problem with the term "tactical toolbox", is that it is often used by people who have no business teaching tactics, techniques, or procedures who are giving their students, YouTube fans, facebook friends, or whoever else, really poor information, and then hiding behind the "just a tool for your toolbox" BS. I believe any student is the final sounding board, and he/she has to determine what they will keep and use, and what gets discarded. But as a professional trainer, it is your job to ensure the target audience is getting sound advice, and good information.

A Master Mechanic does not advise his journeyman or apprentice to waste is hard earned money on low rent bulk pack tools from Harbor Freight simply to have more tools in their toolbox. Why do trainers insist on putting out shitty techniques or tactics under the same premise?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    A Master Mechanic does not advise his journeyman or apprentice to waste is hard earned money on low rent bulk pack tools from Harbor Freight simply to have more tools in their toolbox. Why do trainers insist on putting out shitty techniques or tactics under the same premise?
    Good point. Only reason I can think of is some trainers need to differentiate themselves from other trainers so their classes will fill up. Ninja skills look cool, even if the trainer can't shoot well.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    For the ones that just figure they can teach strictly on the basis of having achieved a certain real or perceived personal level of shooting "mastery,".....yes. They're like the Hooked on Phonics of the instructional realm....they make all the right noises, but don't really know the definitions, the underlying meanings, and are therefore unable to articulate them, or are only able to do so in a specific manner, which isn't going to work for everybody. Not automatically bad people, either, just the common "don't know what they don't know" situation that reaches across any number of disciplines.

Or, those just trying to make a buck, and don't care about the endstate of the student(s)....yes. They're surviving/thriving on buzzwords; flash with no content.

----------------------

Masterfully stated... and you've got good old Brannon (the guy in the video) pegged to a T.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Metaphors often lend themselves to a black and white assessment and that's invalid.
    FIFY.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List