Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Ron Avery Talks the Science of the Draw Stroke

Origami, for the sake of argument, assuming the trade off between the faster draw style and slower one that is more retention friendly is .20, I am trying to determine whether statistically, a thoughtful person would choose the .20 faster draw or slower, more retention friendly draw. Seems this is no different than the discussions on how to manipulate the slide stop, with the argument being that .20 is nearly one more shot.

If the data was available from Tom G or otherwise, it would seem pretty straightforward to look at each of the incidents and figure out whether a reasonable person would choose the .20 faster draw or the more retention friendly, slower draw. Then, each individual could apply their own circumstances to whatever the data says. For example, if I was an undercover cop, working in close proximity to drug dealers, I might be a lot more retention oriented than my circumstances, where my primary threat is a wild animal attack, where speed is paramount and no retention technique will work against a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Origami, for the sake of argument, assuming the trade off between the faster draw style and slower one that is more retention friendly is .20, I am trying to determine whether statistically, a thoughtful person would choose the .20 faster draw or slower, more retention friendly draw. Seems this is no different than the discussions on how to manipulate the slide stop, with the argument being that .20 is nearly one more shot.

If the data was available from Tom G or otherwise, it would seem pretty straightforward to look at each of the incidents and figure out whether a reasonable person would choose the .20 faster draw or the more retention friendly, slower draw. Then, each individual could apply their own circumstances to whatever the data says. For example, if I was an undercover cop, working in close proximity to drug dealers, I might be a lot more retention oriented than my circumstances, where my primary threat is a wild animal attack, where speed is paramount and no retention technique will work against a bear.
    In this hypothetical, is the retention draw slower because it deviates from the path/structure of the faster draw? That's kind of what it sounds like.

An AIWB draw like mine basically goes 1-3-4 and omits the 2 unless I specifically choose to draw to the 2. But if I draw to the 2, even though the path is different, the path is abbreviated. So I'm not sure that's actually slower. I haven't put drawing to the 2 on the timer though because that is less about raw speed and more about a good timing decision.

Or are we talking about the straight line holster to final position (competition) draw vs. any draw where the gun is extended from a higher position? Even when I don't concern myself with extending the gun the actual eye-target line, I think it's still the latter basic draw type as opposed to the straight line draw.

My choice for myself is to default to the 1-3-4 draw unless I think I need to draw to the 2 or 3 for retention purposes. But it depends on the circumstances. If range is short, I want to go to the 2 or 3.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List