Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ron Avery Talks the Science of the Draw Stroke

Ron Avery Talks the Science of the Draw Stroke

This is well done.

Ron Avery Talks the Science of the Draw Stroke

Published to YouTube on May 2, 2013 by cory07ink

I posted an answer to a fella on a forum, in somewhat of an article format and someone mentioned Ron Avery. Now I better understand what that person was commenting on as I am not very familiar with Mr. Avery having not met or trained with him.

American Handgunner magazine had a profile on him about 14 years ago.

My first really good holster was a Mad Dog. I bought it because, in that article, that is what he'd said he was currently using. MD Labs doesn't make pistol holsters anymore (as far as I know, anyway), but that old Mad Dog is still going strong.

Ron Avery Full Bio
    <http://store.greygrouptraining.com/Ron_Avery_Full_Bio.html>

Practical Shooting Academy
    <http://www.practicalshootingacademy.com/>

Seems like more of a gamer approach to the four count draw. I agree that faster with good hits is better, but several benefits of the 4 count are negated.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Seems like more of a gamer approach to the four count draw. I agree that faster with good hits is better, but several benefits of the 4 count are negated.
    An you elaborate on this a bit?

I'm trying to figure out what possible benefit you get from a slower draw when someone's shooting at you.

Site Supporter
    Good vid thanks for sharing.

Seems like someone who wants to get his gun up safely and as fast as possible to me.

To be honest I think most of the people practicing their high speed low drag draw (four count) and scan are the gamers.

For sure there's a time and a place for a four count draw (like when someone is right on top of you) but there also a time and a place for a good fast draw to acceptable sight picture.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what possible benefit you get from a slower draw when someone's shooting at you.
    Yeah, I haven't been to all of the "tactical" guys out there but the ones I have never mentioned slower being better.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Yeah, I haven't been to all of the "tactical" guys out there but the ones I have never mentioned slower being better.
    Come on... you guys are both smarter than that and being purposely obtuse. But in contrast, I have never been to a "tactical" class that advocated the straight holster-to-eye line draw. I can think of plenty that specifically warn against it.

If you want to learn & practice a myriad of draw techniques that vary depending on target distance, size, movement, and clutter that's certainly your choice. Then all you need to do is pick the right one under the right circumstances on the fly under stress. Probably pretty easy for you. Me, I'm not really good at figuring out whether I'm six vs. eight yards from something especially when it's dark and one or both of us are moving around. I don't want to be thinking about whether the table or car or other barrier in front of me is close/tall enough to interfere with an angled draw. I don't want to be thinking about how my concealment garment might drag or catch differently for Presentation Style A vs Presentation Style B vs Presentation Style C Type 3 Mod 1.

All due respect to Avery, but a philosophy of I can modify it in the moment is a lot easier said than done. The whole reason we practice our draw thousands and thousands of times is so that we can execute it without thinking and without slowing down for a decision-making step.

There's also the issue -- as discussed in another thread recently -- of the "prep-squeeze" happening before you have visual confirmation that your sights are on target. I don't care who you are, if you think this is a good safe practice for preparing for a stressful fight in a crowded public place:

... I don't want to be nearby when you have to do it for real.

User Tag List