Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Competition Venues for AIWB and Duty Gear

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    As for shooting not for score, might as well just go do range work and not have a match fee...
    To each his own. I shot IDPA w/ a laser (and thus not for score) for years because (a) that was my carry gun and (b) no amount of lonely range work can compare to shooting other people's COFs in public. Even though my time wasn't official it didn't keep me from wanting to beat other folks.

Quote Originally Posted by JConn View Post
    For a skilled shooter, is aiwb faster or slower than ss iwb with a fishing vest?
    Draw is a little faster, reload is a little slower for most folks. At most matches you're likely to have more reloads than draws (10rd limit and mostly 12+ round stages) and my guess is that on balance the aiwb would have a slight disadvantage.

IDPA likely isn't against aiwb for competition reasons, though. The perceived safety aspect -- especially as there have been a few people who've shot themselves holstering their guns at matches -- is probably all the motivation they need.

Site Supporter
    For a skilled shooter, is aiwb faster or slower than ss iwb with a fishing vest? I just wonder if they (idpa and uspsa for every division) are afraid of aiwb basically becoming mandatory to compete, thus creating the perceived need for incompetent shooters to switch thus creating a huge safety concern.
    Than IWB, yes, but it's not much faster for me than an OWB holster and a vest (though AIWB may have more of an advantage with the new requirements for holster offset). However, open front cover garment reloads are much easier for most people than with a closed front cover garment. In USPSA, there wouldn't be any change, as many divisions (Limited, L-10, and Open) already allow appendix holsters and very few competitors use them.

For a skilled shooter, is aiwb faster or slower than ss iwb with a fishing vest?
    I think AIWB is faster. I approximately equate concealed AIWB to unconcealed strong side OWB holsters, as far as speed goes. But as others have said, that's balanced against reloads from closed-front cover and those are slower, and the reloads are more numerous than the draws - at least they are in USPSA.

The point has been made to me a number times, when people are trying to convince me to just shoot a straight up Production rig, that draws are a very small part of USPSA competition. And I've come to see that's very true.

Still doing it my way though.

I must be the only person on the planet who's a lot faster from a closed front cover garment compared to open. It's actually embarrassing.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    I must be the only person on the planet who's a lot faster from a closed front cover garment compared to open. It's actually embarrassing.
    I have literally never worked from an open front garment so that probably makes two of us.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

I have literally never worked from an open front garment so that probably makes two of us.
    I won't make any claim to be faster, but when I carry concealed, it is typically with a buttoned square bottom shirt shirt as a cover garment or a J frame in a pocket. My primary concern is when CCW is stealth and not speed of the draw. If I need to go deep cover, it is a j frame or Glock subcompact in a belly band under a tucked in shirt.

Yesterday afternoon, I broke out a vest and holster and worked on the "IDPA draw", and it was ugly.

Site Supporter

Less movement and really simpler. I'm faster and more comfortable, my favorite being an old green Patagonia Fleece pullover. Love that thing, my wife not a fan.

Cookie Monster

User Tag List