Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

Despite the attention to gun violence in recent months, most Americans are unaware that gun crime is markedly lower than it was two decades ago. A new Pew Research Center survey (March 14-17) found that 56% of Americans believe the number of crimes involving a gun is higher than it was 20 years ago; only 12% say it is lower and 26% say it stayed the same. (An additional 6% did not know or did not answer.)
    With the round-the-clock disinformation machine rolling for the past 5-6 months, who'da thunk it?

Dd you catch Dancing with the Stars?

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Dd you catch Dancing with the Stars?
    I (very deliberately) don't own a tv

Solid information and evidence for "our side" of the argument.

it made CNN.com
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Don't get too excited about this. Not sure I trust the info. The Brady Bill was enacted in 1993. So, it might be a ploy from the UBC crowd to justify UBC.
    Heck, with all the gang related shootings across the USA in recent years plus considering the daily/nightly shootings in Chicago, I have a hard time accepting the stats at first glance.

Quote Originally Posted by dbm View Post
    Don't get too excited about this. Not sure I trust the info. The Brady Bill was enacted in 1993. So, it might be a ploy from the UBC crowd to justify UBC.
    Heck, with all the gang related shootings across the USA in recent years plus considering the daily/nightly shootings in Chicago, I have a hard time accepting the stats at first glance.
    So are you saying that the FBI is in the Brady Campaign's pocket, and they're publishing patently false data about violent crimes in order to justify the UBC?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    So are you saying that the FBI is in the Brady Campaign's pocket, and they're publishing patently false data about violent crimes in order to justify the UBC?
    No. I believe that Pew Research did the study and came up with the results. I'm saying that I need further data before I put much stock into the Pew results.

Quote Originally Posted by dbm View Post
    No. I believe that Pew Research did the study and came up with the results. I'm saying that I need further data before I put much stock into the Pew results.
    It trends with the FBI data over the last 20 years, showing that violent crime has dropped about the same. That's the point I was making.

The idea that this is actually a ploy by the anti-gunners is certainly one of the more.....imaginative.....things I've heard in the past few months.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

On the other hand, I did always have my suspicions about the Clinton era crime reporting/stats. After Clinton, the gun homicides did trend back up.

User Tag List