Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IDPA's Proposed Reload/Cover Rule

We are diminished

IDPA's Proposed Reload/Cover Rule

The internet is apparently moments away from collapsing into a black hole due to the changes to reloading behind cover from the latest rulebook.

To catch folks up quickly:
    • Old rule: you were free to perform a Reload with Retention or Tactical Reload while moving along a piece of cover if you weren't exposed to any targets.
    • New rule: if we're reading it right, basically you cannot be moving while performing a reload from behind cover.

First, let me say that I don't care one way or the other.

But I'm just amazed at how many people are losing their minds over this and trying to justify it as some kind of critical tactical sheepdog ninja technique without which one will certainly die a fiery lead-filled death. The argument, as best I understand it, is that standing still to do the reload will Get Ya Killed!

Now it's been a few years since I last shot an IDPA match but as I recall there were essentially two types of cover you'd be moving behind or past. The first was a car. The second was a wall. In both cases, you were moving from a point where you'd just eliminated a bunch of threats to a place where you were about to go head to head with more threats.

So on the one hand you have people saying that it is Bad Tactics[TM] to remain where you were because the bad guys know where you are. So you need to skeedaddle ASAP.

On the other hand, you could look at it as your current location has just been made safe or at least relatively more safe than the next shooting position where you know there are more bad guys who haven't been shot yet. Charging toward them before your gun is topped off might not be so bright. Heck, it could Get Ya Killed!

What I find most amusing is that the people upset about the rule seem all too happy to imagine a situation in which the guys they just shot might overrun their current position, but they feign ignorance of the possibility that the guys they're running towards might be just as mobile and come 'round that corner while the good guy is juggling mags for a reload.

Me? I'd probably either do a speed reload (leaving bullets behind, which is against IDPA rules) or I'd move straight to the next place I needed to be without reloading. It's easy to say "behind cover" against pieces of cardboard nailed to the earth but if you knew those threats could come around the corner at any moment would you really start a magazine swap? That's especially true when the cover is something as small and bullet-permeable as a car. You've got bad guys at the front and rear of the car. You shoot the guys in front and then reload your gun on your way to the rear... seriously?

Here's the real situation: forcing people to do flat footed reloads means they'll be slower and the guys who've spent time and effort mastering IDPA-legal reloads on the move will no longer have an advantage over the guys who haven't. Period. All the Get Ya Killed nonsense is just an excuse for people who are upset about a rule change that steals a perceived advantage from them.

Now for all I know, IDPA is going to come out and say the rule was written wrong or is being interpreted too harshly and that they never intended to prevent people from reloading while moving along a covered position. If so, that's fine, too. Because at certain times under certain circumstances, either method might be the smartest thing to do.

If the rule stands as it's written and being interpreted right now, though, know what you'll start to see? A whole lot fewer tactical reloads on the clock and a whole lot more shooting the gun empty in a fight... which I think the community has pretty much come to understand is the norm in Real Fights[TM].

/rant

The srs IDPA guys are mostly upset because we like having the option to do Tac load on the move behind cover on certain stages. Of course, the whole conversation hinges on what thy mean by a position of cover.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    The srs IDPA guys are mostly upset because we like having the option to do Tac load on the move behind cover on certain stages. Of course, the whole conversation hinges on what thy mean by a position of cover.
    That I understand. In some ways it's one of the last "options" a shooter has in a game that often devolves into a strictly choreographed ballet. People who say, "I'm upset if this is a rule because the game is no longer fun" or challenging or whatever... that's fine. As I said above, makes no difference to me which way IDPA comes down on the issue. It's just the silly "Gonna Git Ya Killed!" whining that makes me roll my eyes.

I agree with that 100% - I'm of the belief that if you think IDPA is in teaching any sort of tactics, you need to get your head examined.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I agree with that 100% - I'm of the belief that if you think IDPA is in teaching any sort of tactics, you need to get your head examined.
    I wish I could have recorded my RSO class...

On the topic, meh. Rules are rules. If they change them and make them objective without room to screw up the call I'll be fine. If I disagree that strongly I can not play or start my own game with my own rules.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

We are diminished
    Believe me, I'm no fan of some of IDPA's core "tactics" like Leave no round behind! and shoot everyone once before you shoot anyone twice! I'm not suggesting everything in the IDPA rulebook is sound self-defense doctrine. But this one particular rule change isn't bad because:Tactics!

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Believe me, I'm no fan of some of IDPA's core "tactics" like Leave no round behind! and shoot everyone once before you shoot anyone twice! I'm not suggesting everything in the IDPA rulebook is sound self-defense doctrine. But this one particular rule change isn't bad because:Tactics!
    +1
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

That's why I only shoot local matches (the rules are less Nazified if guys care less) and also shoot IPSC to round out my fun quotient on matches.

I only look at these as further trigger time, and helps keep me honest because I am shooting someone else's problem.

Almost all of the guys who only do live fire get slaughtered the first few times they have to run the barricade field FoF, which I find really amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Almost all of the guys who only do live fire get slaughtered the first few times they have to run the barricade field FoF, which I find really amusing.
    Do you mean that when they first face people who move and think instead of paper and cardboard that doesn't, that they get behind their cover, break line of sight with their opponent, and their position immediately gets flanked or overrun and then they get shot directly? Or do you mean something else? Just trying to understand what you mean...thanks!

"It'll get you killed" is highly situational.

User Tag List