Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New IDPA Rulebook being released today

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    It looks like the bar was raised for a SSP Master classification, it's now at 91 or less, not 98.xx.
    Actually all the division's bars have been raised some more than others.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    I have been sitting at 102 on the classifier fora while. I guess I had better find a way to shave four seconds before October 1.
    I don't see any reference to how they are going to handle that. If your previous high classification score was just with in that class but doesn't make it under the new standards are you still the higher class or do you get knocked back to the lower class come Oct?

Personally I'm not on the bubble with any of the 3 divisions I'm classed in, but it makes me wonder.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I cannot find any reference whatsoever to round dumping. Anyone? If they did away with that, the game just got a lot better.
    Nope, I didn't see it either.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The reload/cover rule still makes very little sense but I suppose it's better than the previous rule. Now you can start your reload out in the open, but if you're out in the open with a reloaded gun you aren't allowed to shoot at threats until you make it to cover. So silly.
    Still, its better than having to wait to get to cover to reload. That one rule has given me so many PE's over the past few years I cant count.

As near as I can tell after reading the rulebook cover to cover (twice) round dumping has been eliminated as a penalty. Some other good stuff is a formal definition of cover as extended to infinity uprange, which will eliminate the "you must be within 2 feet of cover/arm's length" cover call that some ranges were so very fond of.

XD pistols are now in SSP where they belong, and there are a lot of minor clarifications that help some of the nagging equipment issues. One of the ones I'll be talking about later this week on Gun Nuts is that they've put a strong criteria in to enforce the "skinny guy holster penalty" which means that my old IDPA holster won't be legal unless I gain 20 pounds around the waist.

You can read my entire thoughts on Gun Nuts on the new IDPA rulebook. Also, just for Todd, I turned regular comments back on.

Skinny guy holster penalty???
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

We are diminished
    My thoughts on the round dumping situation:

• The old rulebook specifically discussed it and declared it an FTDR.
    • The proposed rulebook does not address it at all.

Knowing how IDPA clubs and even major match MDs tend to run things in different parts of the country at different times, I think we'll need a more concrete "round dumping is no longer illegal" clarification from IDPA HQ. There will continue to be people who enforce round dumping penalties and justify it as falling under some generic FTDR description.

SO: "FTDR. You shot your gun empty so you could start your reload before you got to cover."

Competitor: "Yeah, I did. But that's not against the rules anymore. They took the dumping rule out."

SO: "No, it's right here: The FTDR is intended to be used solely as a penalty for deliberate attempts on the part of the shooter to circumvent or violate the competition rules to gain a competitive advantage. They took most of the specific FTDR causes out of the rulebook because they know SOs and MDs are psychic and can detect competitive advantage neurons firing in the brains of shooters from many miles away."

Mark my words... people will still get FTDRs for round dumping in some places until this is finally explained in ten foot tall concrete letters.

Am I correct in the opinion that they have eliminated all mandatory "reloads with retention or tactical reloads" on the clock during stages which effectively eliminates them on scored stage designs except for the classifier or a standards stage.
    Last edited by rsa-otc; 05-07-2013 at 11:12 AM.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Still, its better than having to wait to get to cover to reload. That one rule has given me so many PE's over the past few years I cant count.
    Totally agree one of my biggest peeves with IDPA. To be frank unless you are operating at Robbie's, Todd's or Dave's level you should cover the distance to cover prior to completing the reload rendering it a moot point for the majority of us. The largest distance by the rules on stage design you should have to cover is 10 yards and assuming you were moving while shooting that distance is going to be much less.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Skinny guy holster penalty???
    +1

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    If your previous high classification score was just with in that class but doesn't make it under the new standards are you still the higher class or do you get knocked back to the lower class come Oct?
    It reads like you'd be grandfathered:

Shooters may not go down in Classification except for permanent physical disability or for other irrevocable
    reasons

User Tag List