Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: New IDPA Rulebook being released today

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Yes, but how many major sanctioned matches do they shoot with that kit? And for what it's worth, they didn't always do that.
    I know I've seen it at at least CT state and New England regional. I'm not sure if they do it at S&W or not.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    SO: "No, it's right here: The FTDR is intended to be used solely as a penalty for deliberate attempts on the part of the shooter to circumvent or violate the competition rules to gain a competitive advantage. They took most of the specific FTDR causes out of the rulebook because they know SOs and MDs are psychic and can detect competitive advantage neurons firing in the brains of shooters from many miles away."

Mark my words... people will still get FTDRs for round dumping in some places until this is finally explained in ten foot tall concrete letters.
    I agree, and they also need to spell out just how level of a penalty that FTDRs are. Requiring that a MD be involved is good, but they need to spell it out along the lines as Bubba put it recently, FTDRs are only one minor step below a DQ, which is a HUGE leap from a PE. It should be something that would almost get someone kicked out of a match for cheating.

At Indoor Nats in 2012, they used M&Ps out of regular holsters.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Based on the OP:

I do not see that in the rulebook.

I do not see that in the rulebook.
    *shrugs* She said it on the internet, so it must be true.

Anyways most clubs already did this.

R9.1. If the shooter runs the firearm empty behind
    cover, the shooter may not advance in the stage (move
    toward the next shooting position) until the weapon
    is deemed loaded.
    R9.2. When performing a Loaded Cylinder/Loaded Chamber reload, the shooter may not advance in the
    stage (move toward the next shooting position) until the weapon is deemed loaded.

To me this reads that virtually all reloads must be static reloads. If that was the intent, I am done with IDPA totally.

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    In looking at the new classifier score breakdowns, I am at a loss as to why SSP and ESP are separate divisions...
    This is something I have remarked about before, are all those mods for ESP over SSP actually giving you a benefit or not? On the classifier maybe not so much. At a sanctioned match where you shoot more stages with a variety of gun handling problems the difference between a tweaked SSP gun compared to a fully tweaked ESP may show up. Lets face it other then us dinosaurs who shoot Revolvers, other than Ernie Langdon who shoots DA, DOA or even DA/DA guns outside a local match here and there anyway? SSP is the striker fired division for all intents and purposes. ESP was supposed to be SA only guns such as the 9mm 1911. With all of todays trigger mods available to the striker fired guns the difference between a striker fired gun and a SA gun is minimal. So you're down to the fractions of a second the oversize controls my gain you as well as the mag wells. With the way the Classifier is set up I don't think it gives ESP that much of an advantage.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    *shrugs* She said it on the internet, so it must be true.
    Just to be clear, I wasn't jumping on you. Just noting that what had been reported by that site didn't match up with the rulebook as it was released.

is deemed loaded.
    R9.2. When performing a Loaded Cylinder/Loaded Chamber reload, the shooter may not advance in the
    stage (move toward the next shooting position) until the weapon is deemed loaded.

To me this reads that virtually all reloads must be static reloads. If that was the intent, I am done with IDPA totally.
    I thought the same thing when I first read it. However, if we go back to first principles: would you advance toward known trouble before your gun was 100% ready to go?

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    This is something I have remarked about before, are all those mods for ESP over SSP actually giving you a benefit or not?
    As I read it, putting any Vickers anything on a Glock moves you to ESP. There are definitely some folks -- myself included -- who find some of those parts useful or even necessary. From my perspective it's mostly a matter of providing the new shooter a "safe harbor" of stock(-ish) guns to feel like he's on an even footing.

is deemed loaded.

When I read R9's opening statement that the shooter may not leave a position of cover with an empty gun and interpret R9.1 & R9.2 I don't read it that way. If your cover is a wall 8 feet wide and you go to slide lock reload having fully engaged the target from the left corner of the wall you may reload while moving behind cover to engage the targets around the right side of the wall. What you may not do is leave one piece of cover to travel to another position of cover with an empty weapon and you can not reload along the way ala USPSA. Frankly this is as it's always been and is within the intent of IDPA. What's nice now is that if you are in the open engaging targets and your gun runs dry you may start your reload prior to arriving at your next position of cover. This is certainly what I would do in a real gunfight.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    When I read R9's opening statement that the shooter may not leave a position of cover with an empty gun and interpret R9.1 & R9.2 I don't read it that way. If your cover is a wall 8 feet wide and you go to slide lock reload having fully engaged the target from the left corner of the wall you may reload while moving behind cover to engage the targets around the right side of the wall. What you may not do is leave one piece of cover to travel to another position of cover with an empty weapon and you can not reload along the way ala USPSA. Frankly this is as it's always been and is within the intent of IDPA. What's nice now is that if you are in the open engaging targets and your gun runs dry you may start your reload prior to arriving at your next position of cover. This is certainly what I would do in a real gunfight.
    The issue is, people who pay attention to this stuff enough to be discussing it online on day one reasonably differ as to how to read the wording. If it goes in to the wild like this, it's going to be a mess of conflicting officiating. You know, the whole issue this new rulebook was supposed to solve.

Re the divisions, I think Todd is spot on that SSP provides a place to feel like you're on even footing with a stock gun, with feel being the operative word. IMHO, the magwell is the only truly significant difference other than the inability to tweak a specific gun to shooter preferences.

I replied to the P-T thread, but I figured I would post it here also.

You can propose rule changes in the logged in members section here:
    http://members.idpa.com/Rules/Home

User Tag List