Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meet The 'Liberator': First Fully 3D-Printed Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    "fully 3d printed" how do you 3d print a spring?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHrlasCSa3U

Depending on the app, they could be using some type of leaf spring or a wave washer

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    "fully 3d printed" how do you 3d print a spring?
    They show all the components of the firearm on the first page of the article:

The sixteen pieces of Defense Distributed's printed handgun, including spiral springs for its hammer mechanism and a nail used as its firing pin.
    (Emphasis added)

That type of spring is a piece of cake for a 3D Printer.

Ooooo scary!
    Zip Gun circa 2013.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Site Supporter
    So, is the thing a single shot? Do you have to partially disassemble it to stuff a cartridge into the barrel? The only video I can find only shows a single shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    So, is the thing a single shot? Do you have to partially disassemble it to stuff a cartridge into the barrel? The only video I can find only shows a single shot.
    Yes, it is single shot. They called it the Liberator as a reference to this gun that was developed in WWII.

Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    Yes, it is single shot. They called it the Liberator as a reference to this gun that was developed in WWII.
    Yep the idea was to mass drop these to insurgents who would then use them to kill occupiers at close range and retrieve better weapons.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Tyrants fear armed peasants.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Slate's technology columnist doesn't know anything about technology:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...rs.single.html

"it’s conceivable that lawmakers would impose severe restrictions on the 3-D printer industry, which, of course, isn’t protected by the Second Amendment. Lawmakers could require 3-D printer manufacturers to prevent their machines from printing certain files—in the same way your DVD player can’t play movies from a different region—and impose harsh penalties for circumventing those rules. They could even make you register your printer the way you’ve got to register your car. "

Of course the 3D printer industry isn't protected by the 2nd amendment, idiot, but you're going to run into that pesky First amendment roadblock.

How exactly can a manufacturer prevent their machine from printing files that are home made? How would the printer know which 'certain files' can be made into a firearm? Oh, that's right, there's absolutely no way possible to do that. And can you name one person who has had "harsh penalties" imposed on them for unlocking their DVD player?

Register your printer the way you register your car? Again, we run into questions of the First Amendment and the constitutionality of registration schemes to exercise rights. Tell me how that's going to work out when there are printers such as RepRap which can replicate themselves...this cannot be stopped.

The fatal flaw in this knucklehead's argument is trying to apply the infancy and uncertainty of Second Amendment jurisprudence to something that is clearly protected by the First Amendment.
    twitter.com/ddbaxte

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by G60 View Post
    How exactly can a manufacturer prevent their machine from printing files that are home made? How would the printer know which 'certain files' can be made into a firearm? Oh, that's right, there's absolutely no way possible to do that.
    Probably not.

(Although I have to admit that I didn't know about the EURion constellation until just the other day. )
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List