Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appendix Draw and Lower Ride Holsters

Site Supporter

Appendix Draw and Lower Ride Holsters

In this thread, a number of posters indicated that they found the ride height of some popular AIWB holsters to be too low. I've been a fan of AIWB holsters that ride just high enough to get a full grip on the gun since I got an appendix Looper several years ago. When I first got the Looper I also felt that it rode too low, and I repeatedly smashed my knuckles into my belt when doing full speed draws. Then, I made a very small change to my AIWB draw technique and the knuckle smashing went away. (I likely got this technique from ToddG, but I can't remember now.)

The change in technique was how initial contact is made with the gun when forming your grip. Initially, I used the same technique that I carried over from 4 o'clock carry, which is probably most easily described as just grabbing the gun. But, with a heavily canted behind the hip IWB holster there is so much room between the front strap and the belt that there is no risk of hitting your knuckles on the belt. This space is significantly reduced when switching to a straight-drop AIWB holster. One option is obviously to go to a higher ride-height, but this also comes with some loss in concealment. The other option is to alter your draw technique.

Instead of attempting to precisely place three fingers of my strong hand through the small space between the front strap and my belt, I make contact with the tips of my fingers on the outside grip panel and follow the grip around the front strap. For me, this eliminates any chance of my fingers hitting my belt, and it also results in a much more consistent grip on the gun. Obviously, if your fingers are thicker than the space between the front strap and your belt, then this technique isn't likely to help without also increasing ride-height.

Touch and curl is how I would describe what I need to do with a lower riding holster.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I use a similar (if not the same technique) as you Josh. I follow the grip around with my fingertips and ride the gun high with my hand, initially placing my thumb between the slide and my stomach.

Good thread. I've been refining my AIWB draw some due to recent bouts of knuckling my belt. I will admit that I've been just "grabbing" at the gun. If I hit my belt, I tweak the stroke a little and work it out. It doesn't happen often, but it doesn't need to happen at all.

Thanks for posting the techniques. I too put my thumb between the holster and my stomach, which helps with both a thumbs-forward grip as well as a strong-hand only grip (indexed on the slide when the gun clears the holster). The trigger finger goes outside the belt, so it is also indexed upon the gun clearing the holster.

Personally I'm chopping the web of my hand down onto the backstrap of the pistol and then establishing my grip. Seems to work ok, for me at least.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    Personally I'm chopping the web of my hand down onto the backstrap of the pistol and then establishing my grip. Seems to work ok, for me at least.
    This is what I've been doing too. Very similar to how I used to draw from 4 o'clock. I find it helps ensure a good, high, grip. I just did a few more draws, and I think my issue is more with the timing of clearing my cover garment. Instead of focusing on getting my hand on the gun with lightning speed, I'm actually fairing better making sure my shirt tail is well cleared before that initial grip.

Site Supporter
    For me, the type of belt matters a lot. It depends on how far past the loop it takes for the belt to get back to conforming to my body. The stiffer the belt, the longer it takes, the more offset the grip is from the belt. When the belt is offset a lot, I can get away with a much lower ride.
    Last edited by JV_; 05-05-2013 at 06:28 PM.

We are diminished
    For folks who are struggling with an aiwb draw, one approach to consider is attacking the butt from the bottom up. Mike Seeklander showed me his draw a couple years ago when he was in my AIWB class and it's his preferred method.

What I've found is that with holsters that are particularly aggressive in pulling the gun in toward the body it can make a very real (and positive) difference. It also seems especially beneficial when drawing a 1911 because it makes achieving a proper grip easier.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    For folks who are struggling with an aiwb draw, one approach to consider is attacking the butt from the bottom up. Mike Seeklander showed me his draw a couple years ago when he was in my AIWB class and it's his preferred method.
    Could you describe what you mean by "from the bottom up" in a little more detail? I don't think I got to hear him describe that.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

User Tag List