Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shot Timer for Dry-fire

Shot Timer for Dry-fire

Anyone here use a shot timer for dry-fire? Any time I set a timer sensitive enough to pick up the dry-fire shot it also tends to pick up the draw among other things as well. I have been getting by for the past year or two using just the par time but I was wondering if anyone has found a better solution...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Anyone here use a shot timer for dry-fire? Any time I set a timer sensitive enough to pick up the dry-fire shot it also tends to pick up the draw among other things as well. I have been getting by for the past year or two using just the par time but I was wondering if anyone has found a better solution...
    The best way to use a shot timer for dry fire, if you choose to do that at all is to use it in the par time setting, that way you don't have to worry about it picking up the "click" and just get the first beep for go and the second beep for stop.

Caleb's suggestion is spot on. Many timers will allow you set multiple beeps using the Par Time functionality. That way you can setup a course of fire, such as the FAST - initial beep, another beep 2 seconds later (reload) and a finish beep 3 seconds later (last of your 4 shots).

I have been using a timer with a par feature so far... mainly I'm trying to figure out if something better exists.

That said if a product existed that could time your dry fire shot and (and maybe even give you an indication if the shot would hit or the trigger press was good) would that product add value to your dry-fire training?

The shot timer apps available for smart phones are great for dry practice; not so much for actual gunfire.

That said if a product existed that could time your dry fire shot and (and maybe even give you an indication if the shot would hit or the trigger press was good) would that product add value to your dry-fire training?
    We need a SIRT pistol with a built-in timer connected to the trigger break itself rather than the sound.

I think something like the SIRT that gives visual feedback on the target is even more valuable when you try to do any speed push against a par timer during dry fire. It's too easy to let a sloppy pull or sight alignment get ignored if you're moving pretty fast with a real gun dry and there's nothing to verify you really would have gotten the hit.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    We need a SIRT pistol with a built-in timer connected to the trigger break itself rather than the sound.

I think something like the SIRT that gives visual feedback on the target is even more valuable when you try to do any speed push against a par timer during dry fire. It's too easy to let a sloppy pull or sight alignment get ignored if you're moving pretty fast with a real gun dry and there's nothing to verify you really would have gotten the hit.
    That is a really cool idea.

I actually really wish that there was a 1911 SIRT.

I have had great success using the CED timer with a wrist strap. I tune the sensitivity to about 7 and it picks up the dry hit but not much else. I wear it on the outside of my weak wrist so it is close to the gun to pick up the sound. Makes it easy to restart it too.

This is what I use for dry fire(just the timer, not the target):

http://www.predatortactical.com/uplo...ider082504.swf

I found that some of the timer apps for Android are inconsistent in their timing accuracy of the beeps when measured against a stopwatch (i.e. you sent for 1.5 sec, the length between beeps could be anywhere from .75-2 sec.)

User Tag List