Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt Cobra

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    A Colt Cobra in good shape at a low price from someone who is looking to just be rid of it ASAP is something I'd jump at. I have something of a fetish for collecting good revolvers. I have a nickel plated S&W model 27 in beautiful condition. I've never even fired the revolver...but it sure is pretty.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Ah, one other question- with a little effort it will fit into my j-frame holster but looks like it would stretch it out eventually. Would a holster for the Colt work ok with a j-frame or are they just not compatible?
    A lot of mass-market leather holsters (Galco/Bianchi/DeSantis) are advertised as fitting both (Colt D-frames and Smith I/J-frames.)

If it's a really tightly molded leather holster that relies on tension around the cylinder to retain your heater, then I could see where it might get a little sloppy with a J after a lot of use with the Cobra.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA
    Tamara- thanks for chiming in, and love your blog...
    Thanks!

Update- and it ain't good. Fired the Cobra at the end of a range session Saturday. After about the 3rd shot I noticed something fluttering past my eyes, thought it was stray paper from the target or a leaf or something, turns out it was nickel plating. When I lowered the gun I first noticed the specks of blood on my hands, then the peeled back plating on the cylinder. Doesn't look like it's exposed metal underneath, more like another layer of nickel. Ammo was factory 130gr WWB so i don't think that's the issue.
    I guess it has to be shaving bullets on the forcing cone? Or if the finish is just bad would this happen? I know my buddy ran a cylinder through it and thought it was fine, and it's not out of time that i can tell (but I'm certainly no expert). Anyway I'll get it back to him and figure out what's up.
    On the bright side it shoots well, accurate, and should be cheaper now that the finish is jacked up

Site Supporter
    It is not that uncommon for old electroplated nickel to blow off the cylinder of a revolver. Gas enters a crack in the finish and burrows underneath the nickel, lifting it off.

To add to what Tom said, from what I understand, nickeled Colt revos in the late '60s through much of the '70s were electroplated (rather than the more common electroless process used these days) using a pretty thick copper base. While this gave a warm, smooth nickel finish, it was a little fragile, and would flake pretty easily.

Also, the archaic lockwork is more susceptible to going out of time, at least in my experience. When you were firing it, were you shooting with slow DA trigger pulls or gently thumb-cocking the piece, either of which could cause it to not carry up all the way?

Sorry, just got back to this.
    Tom-this is not the original finish; it was originally blue. My friend was not surprised it has problems, apparently the refinisher was not the best (and not his choice)
    Tamara- IIRC I shot 3 each way. My buddy is a good gunsmith and test fired it also (before I did). He's certain eveything is mechanically fine but I'll definitely have him go over it again.
    On the bright side he basically doesn't care if he ever sees it again; fixing the finish and selling it would be almost a wash moneywise, and he's got no $ in it. So it's mine if I want it.
    Cheapest fix would be to re-nickle the cylinder only, but i'd love to do something different. Maybe a brushed nickle, hard chrome or even reblue (just not a fan of shiny nickle). Anyone recommend a good refinishing outfit? Colt won't do anything but the cylinder, they don't mess with pulling barrels on alloy frames anymore.

Nick, I've been pleased with the hard chrome finishes I've gotten from Bob Cogan at Accurate Plating.

http://www.apwcogan.com/

Thanks Al, that name keeps coming up and I'll definitely check them out.

Last time I was visiting down at Coal Creek Armory, some guy had sent in a Model 28 to get Melonited.

I felt kinda dirty for liking the idea as much as I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I felt kinda dirty for liking the idea as much as I did.
    I know, huh? I really want to do something you never would have seen from the factory back in the 60's when this one was made- matte nickle, hard chrome, black nickle, Roguard etc.

User Tag List