Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: "Hot sauce must be hot.. We don't make mayonnaise here."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 4RNR View Post
    I used to absolutely LOVE hot foods. I could eat your avg store bought hot peppers like candy. Would go out of my way to find ghost peppers and ghost pepper sauces.

I'm pretty sure I destroyed my stomach with that. Now instead of hot sauce or peppers I pop Omeprazole! [emoji2959][emoji45]

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    I do the same. Cranberry-Habaņero relish at Thanksgiving. Regularly an attendee of the Fiery Foods And Barbecue Show. I have a package of Bhut Jolokia Brownie Mix prepared and marketed by the Chile Pepper Institute at my Alma Mater, NMSU (can't wait to make a batch and put them in the break room 'fridge with a note saying- Don't Touch- UNM1136. Maybe with a few pieces cut out so people will think they can cut out a sliver.). Just learning about Thai and Chinese Capsicanoids. Used to see if it was safe to take a leak or take my contacts out by licking my fingers after OCing someone (and post washing up). I am a huge fan of Aussie Cobra Sauce, made with Carolina Reaper Peppers...It is soy sauce based, very hot, and goes well on pretty much anything meaty or stir fried.

In my case it is gastritis caused by too much alcohol that irritates my gut and gives me reflux. Haven't had to take the decision, yet, but I will give up alcohol before chiles. Just turned fifty last month, and ain't giving up either without my doc breathing down my neck.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by UNM1136 View Post
    That is how I eat their burritos, too. Diablo sauce though.

Sriracha has never pinned my needle. Like Tabasco, it is something I usually have on hand for a quick heat hit on dogs, potatoes, or eggs. Huy Fong's Chile Garlic Paste is where it is at for me. Cheaper than Sriracha and a good bit hotter. I have two open jars in the fridge now, and is what I reach for for chicken, stir fries, hot dogs, and rice dishes-steamed and fried.. Also available in 4oz jars up to gallons.

Another little gem I recently discovered is Thai Bird Peppers. Here remember to use the Amazon Smile program so Sean M can get the donation for Giving Back. I ordered from Amazon, and $10 for 100g strikes me as a little steep. I had to wait almost a month to get this stuff from Thailand. It is sitting there unopened, as I found a 7oz jar for a little under $4 at the local asian market. And had that open.

These peppers are hot, and the ground peppper is full of seeds. But the product has pepper flakes ranging from dust to big freakin chunks. Last week I found a tip of a chile that was over half an inch long. So you get a pleasant heat throughout with sudden pops of really hot pieces. I usually sprinkle a quarter teaspoon on a plate of food. Or mix a quarter to a half a teaspoon into sour cream, dip, or guacamole. These peppers are fruity and aromatic, and pretty freaking hot. I will not buy crushed red pepper again. I use them on pizza, grains, sandwiches, salads, fruit salads. Great stuff! Won't work well in a shaker though. I am strongly considering a salt cellar and leaving it on the table next to the current salt cellar and the black pepper mill.

pat
    Typing on the tablet. Apologies for the brevity.

Love the chili garlic, but I prefer their Sambal slightly more. Interesting that you find that hotter that Sriracha. Just the opposite for me.

Favorite dried Thai chili these days is https://hongthongkitchen.com/product...dchilipeppers/
    Most Asian markets here have a large jar for 6 - 7 dollars.

Honestly, you NM people eat some freakishly hot chiles. I remember ordering a dish at a restaurant in Santa Fe that our hosts warned us about. I ordered it mild. My mouth is still on fire years later. I'm no slouch when it comes to spicy foods, but NM is in another league.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Typing on the tablet. Apologies for the brevity.

Favorite dried Thai chili these days is https://hongthongkitchen.com/product...dchilipeppers/
    Most Asian markets here have a large jar for 6 - 7 dollars.

Honestly, you NM people eat some freakishly hot chiles. I remember ordering a dish at a restaurant in Santa Fe that our hosts warned us about. I ordered it mild. My mouth is still on fire years later. I'm no slouch when it comes to spicy foods, but NM is in another league.
    Almost always on a tablet, hence the recurrent typos despite editing what jumps out at me upon first reading.

Interested in that chile, being roasted and dried. So far my experience is VERY low budget ghetto, and SUPER. Just used a half teaspoon on a bagel with cream cheese, and loved it! Lips and tongue still tingling.

As far as NM folks...😊🤗😥 [blushing] I find most restaurant offerings pretty pedestrian. Even "the best green chile cheeseburgers in the state" varying by which list is used, are flavorful, not hot. Earlier in this thread I recounted my experience at The Cattleman, right across the street from the DPS Academy in Santa Fe...I was warned, ordered it as hot as it could come out of the kitchen, and I paid, but I loved it! Despite almost puking from the gastitis caused by the Hot-Hot chile at lunch on that day, I ate the last 1/3 the next morning with no issues.

I like to think that IF I can keep the right amount of pressure in my arteries from fatty food, no fatty plaques will stick. And if I eat hot enough food it will burn out whatever is ailing me, including fatty plaques.

pat

Site Supporter
    Just reviewed the thread, and realized I didn't tell the story well.

I was sent to the DPS Academy for a one day armorer's course. Heard horror stories about how hot the green chile was at The Cattleman's across the street. Apparently they breed and grow the green chiles to claim the hottest chile in the state, by word of mouth, mostly by cops.

Swaggered in, ordered three chicken enchiladas, flat, Hot-Hot green, and was warned by the waitress that Hot-Hot was Super-Duper-Hot-Hot. Ordered 2 over easy eggs and sour cream on top to hedge my bets. Food came. Tasted.

OMFG HOT-HOT-HOT. SUPER-DUPER-HOT-HOT-HOT.

Can't show weakness (bless you @Cecil Burch for owning your manhood enough to say "no" at Sadie's) There is more than one way to not let the pussy flag fly. Ate two thirds while sweating like a whore in church. Had the last third put in a to go box and went back to the Academy with my tail between my legs. Got nauseous. Made for the shitter. Spent 20 minutes sitting on the stall floor, trying not to rest my forehead on the cool porcelain of a public toilet while sweating my ass off and breathing deeply while hoping I would throw up to reduce my misery, while understanding that throwing up would revisit what was hurting me, but in the long run, would help... After 25 minutes I was fine, no puke, and went back to class.

Next morning, my day off, I fried an egg over easy, put it on top of the leftovers nuked to an appropriate temp, and LOVED MY FREAKIN' BREAKFAST! No sweating, no nausea, and honestly enjoyed it.

Will repeat at my next DPS Academy Class without a second thought.

pat
    Last edited by UNM1136; 06-18-2022 at 05:40 PM.

Site Supporter
    That is how I eat their burritos, too. Diablo sauce though.

Sriracha has never pinned my needle. Like Tabasco, it is something I usually have on hand for a quick heat hit on dogs, potatoes, or eggs. Huy Fong's Chile Garlic Paste is where it is at for me. Cheaper than Sriracha and a good bit hotter. I have two open jars in the fridge now, and is what I reach for for chicken, stir fries, hot dogs, and rice dishes-steamed and fried.. Also available in 4oz jars up to gallons.

Another little gem I recently discovered is Thai Bird Peppers. Here remember to use the Amazon Smile program so Sean M can get the donation for Giving Back. I ordered from Amazon, and $10 for 100g strikes me as a little steep. I had to wait almost a month to get this stuff from Thailand. It is sitting there unopened, as I found a 7oz jar for a little under $4 at the local asian market. And had that open.

These peppers are hot, and the ground peppper is full of seeds. But the product has pepper flakes ranging from dust to big freakin chunks. Last week I found a tip of a chile that was over half an inch long. So you get a pleasant heat throughout with sudden pops of really hot pieces. I usually sprinkle a quarter teaspoon on a plate of food. Or mix a quarter to a half a teaspoon into sour cream, dip, or guacamole. These peppers are fruity and aromatic, and pretty freaking hot. I will not buy crushed red pepper again. I use them on pizza, grains, sandwiches, salads, fruit salads. Great stuff! Won't work well in a shaker though. I am strongly considering a salt cellar and leaving it on the table next to the current salt cellar and the black pepper mill.

pat
    Tried the FAR more expensive peppers from Amazomething... They are SOOOO much better than the cheap thai chilis from my local Asian market. Brighter, more aromatic, fruity, floral, and HOT. Ordering a salt cellar to keep this stuff on table, all day, every day, for everything.

pat

Site Supporter
    Related. And interesting. Why Huy Fong doesn't taste the same, and a contender to the throne. 'Spensive contender though, based a a few minutes research....

Two sides go every story, yadda, yadda, yadda ....

pat

Site Supporter
    Related. And interesting. Why Huy Fong doesn't taste the same, and a contender to the throne. 'Spensive contender though, based a a few minutes research....

Two sides go every story, yadda, yadda, yadda ....

pat
    Been looking for Underwood here but no luck so far.

Found red jalapeņos a few weeks ago and made a solid batch of Sriracha.
    Made a second batch with Fresno peppers this week, also quite good, but expensive.
    Both were better than any of the many Huy Fong wannabees I've tried.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Got on a lacto-fermenting kick this year. My attempt at kosher dills didn't work out so hot, but my beets, cauliflower, and Brussels sprout saurkraut came out pretty great.

At the Firey Food Show this year I tried a lacto-fermented jalapeņo sauce. Really want to make a fermented jalapeņo AND Fresno pepper sauce.

pat

Site Supporter
    Got on a lacto-fermenting kick this year. My attempt at kosher dills didn't work out so hot, but my beets, cauliflower, and Brussels sprout saurkraut came out pretty great.

At the Firey Food Show this year I tried a lacto-fermented jalapeņo sauce. Really want to make a fermented jalapeņo AND Fresno pepper sauce.

pat
    I fermented my Fresno Sriracha in a used pickle jar. I didn't have the gumption to make a bubbler, so I kept the lid tight, shook it a couple times a day and burped it each morning for a week. Similar to when I made kimchi in the same jar. Thumbs up results. Although, I had way more skins and seeds even after boiling with ACV and running the 7 day wort through the Ninja for 5 minutes. The red jalapeņo version used 1.75 pounds, I was glad I decided to go with 2.25 pounds for the Fresno version. Smaller flesh per stem and way more seeds. It needed an extra tablespoon of brown sugar as well. Spicier than jalapeņo but not tons. Barely enough for a New Mexican to notice

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I fermented my Fresno Sriracha in a used pickle jar. I didn't have the gumption to make a bubbler, so I kept the lid tight, shook it a couple times a day and burped it each morning for a week. Similar to when I made kimchi in the same jar. Thumbs up results. Although, I had way more skins and seeds even after boiling with ACV and running the 7 day wort through the Ninja for 5 minutes. The red jalapeņo version used 1.75 pounds, I was glad I decided to go with 2.25 pounds for the Fresno version. Smaller flesh per stem and way more seeds. It needed an extra tablespoon of brown sugar as well. Spicier than jalapeņo but not tons. Barely enough for a New Mexican to notice
    I think I might roast, peel and seed like we do green chile every year. Dates are a common source of lactobacillus, so I am not too concerned about the roasting sterilizing the microbiome of the peppers. Would add s little sweetness, too. And I happen to have a few dates vacuum sealed in the freezer....

pat

User Tag List