Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The difference in speed for a single shot versus a multi-shot string

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    If the impediment is psychological, rather than physical, it ought to be resolvable thru training.
    I don't think that's necessarily correct. It's not as if it's some kind of emotional handicap. It's a function of how the brain and neurological pathways work. When you know you need to control the gun enough to make a followup shot, regardless of grip, that probably slows you down. The more tasks or the more complex the task, the more it's likely to affect you.

Here's an interesting experiment, though: I bet this doesn't happen as much with unaimed (unsighted, threat focused, whatever) shooting. Because you're not really gauging the gun's alignment each tiny fraction of a second the mind doesn't have to accommodate for the next shot. Just a theory because I haven't tried it...

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

Sure would be interesting if some folks shot a single target enough times to have reasonable data, and then shot the same first target as part of a multi-target drill and compared split times for shot 1.

............... it ought to be resolvable thru training.
    I have done, and continue this type of drill often. Though, my data is not recorded. I have a reasonable par time, and for me it is PASS/FAIL. Either I met the standard, or I didn't, so I don't bother to record the actual measured time. But my trend is that I am generally faster by .15-.25 seconds with the single shot vs. first shot on the multi-round drill. But I also have had days where my first shot on the multi-shot drill was consistently faster than the single shot.

Certainly there could be a variety of issues that are creating your particular phenomenon, but if YOU believe it to be likely psychological, I definitely would not rule that out. And just about any shooting issue can be resolved through proper training. But whenever addressing a particular issue, knowing the root of the problem is very helpful toward creating the proper type of training for resolution.

But I don't get all that worked up over the results of either drill. But that's me. So long as I am making the par times for the drills, I don't chase an extra hundredth or thousandth of a second to record. I also generally only record times/scores on specific "test" or "qual" drills that I use to measure performance, which are generally more complex than single shot on one target. Sometimes I do like to go back and look at those results over various periods so I do write those down, but I just can't record as much data as some of the shooters here do or my private/personal time range sessions would start to feel more like work, and less like fun. And I generally only shoot on my own time, own dime for the enjoyment of it.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 05-03-2013 at 12:30 AM.

Another issue could be that you're going through the whole process a bit faster and taking a good enough shot in order to hit the target without consideration for how that's going to set you up for the follow on shots. A tiny bit of refinement throughout the different stages of the draw and shot will lead to a better setup for multiples, but will also add time overall.

I've noticed that when I'm trying to do a max speed, single shot on target my process is generally faster because I know I only have to get the one shot. Much like the possible grip issue, I don't care how the process from holster to target sets me up beyond the first shot. If I try to run the same speed with follow up shots the second is usually slower than the rest of the string because I have to compensate a little to bring the gun closer to the center of the target in order to set myself up for the rest of the string.

This is just an example and is not a reflection of my performance or any data collected on my shooting, but they show the (simplified) general trend:

One shot only max speed- 1.0sec
    Planned multiples- 1.15, .25 split, .25 split, .25 split...
    Max speed to first shot during a multiple string- 1.0, .40 split, .25 split, .25 split...

Going back to the grip it could also be a matter of not getting as much tension as you normally do for recoil control. As you crank on the tension it becomes harder for your body to move as quickly and smoothly so the process of setting a solid, tight grip will also soak up time just due to the increased tension radiating from your hands & forearms. This isn't a matter of accepting a sloppy grip, but just not having the grip locked down as tight for recoil mitigation.

There is a lot that goes into the whole process and I think running it down to find out what, exactly, is causing it in your case is time better spent elsewhere as this could be a very long, drawn out process involving lots of video, coaching observation and personal observation.
    Last edited by YammyMonkey; 05-07-2013 at 12:13 AM.
    I am a part of Defensive Response Training out of Colorado. We host ShivWorks and Progressive FORCE Concepts classes and teach the Options for Personal Security and DRT branded classes.

In my last range session, I did another series of draws to an 8 inch steel at 7 yards, but decided that I would follow-up any miss with a make up shot on that steel. That change didn't effect my first shot speed, and when I missed, my follow-up shots were in the .25-27 range, which when factoring in recognition of the miss, suggests I wasn't cheating the grip.

I am convinced the issue is psychological, and may be related to dividing my focus between multiple targets, as opposed to having a complete focus on one target. While I am not going to drive myself crazy with this, I am going to intermittently collect data, and see if by actively thinking about the issue, if I can improve my performance on multiple targets.

User Tag List