Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice On First NFA Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    No direct experience on the MK 18, but have been using DD products for years, and feel confident recommending their carbines to people in the market for a quality AR.
    OK, thanks.

I've just been bitten in the past by certain manufacturers, and DD was one of them. I was considering a DD factory SBR at one point, but after seeing about eight carbines from them that had various tolerance issues, I was a little hesitant to go with them for an NFA item...

I have been shooting the Mk18 since it's inception, and I don't have any issues recommending one. It is also a Frankengun set up, with a Colt lower and DD upper. Works just fine. They are also made out of materials in use by mere mortals.

As for the Noveske products, the dealers are standing in line behind several agency orders. They are about as unobtainable as any item in the shooting world. They are simply not taking orders for just about anything right now as they are booked solid beyond the foreseeable future. Add to that, the loss of the Patriarch just a few short months ago, that they are producing anything at all is amazing. Still, I wouldn't plan on seeing anything coming out of NR for quite some time.

I just put in an order for $160k worth of rifles, and was told they could not quote me a delivery time frame. At all. Not even a guess.

ETA: As for the barrel length varying from what is on the Form 1/4, you can fill out an amendment form, advising the ATF of a change in appearance and length. It does not require another $200, and simply becomes an additional form you and the ATF keep on hand. Talk to a knowledgeable FFL/SOT, and they can walk you through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhurdan View Post
    From atf.gov

My understanding is that you have to maintain the ability to return it to the configuration listed on your form. Beyond that, put whatever the heck you want on it. So if you register it as a 10.5", keep that upper around.
    This is correct, and without having a 10.5" on hand I am unwilling to purchase a different length at this time.

I just have better things to do than run afoul of the ATF on my first and only SBR.

Hadn't read Sean's Post Prior to responding. I am aware of all of my options, that being said thank you all for the input.

It does suck, but I am so busy with the business right now that even if I did have it, it would just be collecting dust for the foreseeable future. I am slowly building decent reserves of 5.56 so that when the upper and time do present themselves she is gonna need one hell of a cleaning.
    I am starting to see Shorty Basics pop up online for reasonable prices, the only problem there is everyone wants a check in advance (no PayPal) and at this point just random individuals on forums to which I do not belong, so I am slightly less than willing to blindly mail out $800-$1100 blindly.

I will find one eventually,and everyone here will know when the ALL CAPS LOCK THREAD gets posted.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions and my apologies to the OP for the drift my original post created.

Regards,
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay; 05-02-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Fixt.
    Hmm. Second or third time I've hit their website this morning. Maybe I should drop in and see what they have in the store.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Fixt.
    Hmm. Second or third time I've hit their website this morning. Maybe I should drop in and see what they have in the store.
    When I get an SBR, it'll have an 11.5 or 12.5 inch BCM upper.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I am starting to see Shorty Basics pop up online for reasonable prices, the only problem there is everyone wants a check in advance (no PayPal) and at this point just random individuals on forums to which I do not belong, so I am slightly less than willing to blindly mail out $800-$1100 blindly.

Regards,
    Jay
    I would definitely follow that gut instinct.

Don't get caught up in "I want it now!" syndrome, and end up with some piece of kitten upper. There is a big difference between places like BCM and Model 1 Sales, and other off-brand fly by night, color glossy magazine advertisement guns. There is more to building a reliable SBR upper than assembling parts, and anyone looking to SBR an AR-15 type rifle would be well served to follow the adage of "Buy quality and cry once". You don't need to drop $1995.00 on a Noveske CQBR, but 800-1100 for who knows what, or worse......knowingly buying a piece of kitten based on price alone, and thinking it will not crap outside of the litter box.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    There is more to building a reliable SBR upper than assembling parts, and anyone looking to SBR an AR-15 type rifle would be well served to follow the adage of "Buy quality and cry once". You don't need to drop $1995.00 on a Noveske CQBR, but 800-1100 for who knows what, or worse......knowingly buying a piece of kitten based on price alone, and thinking it will not crap outside of the litter box.
    Yeah, there are a LOT of franken-uppers out there. The few 'supposed' Noveske Uppers I have considered bidding on @ GunBroker all turned out to be built by seller / sellers buddy or my favorite 'i don't know?, its a Noveske'. If it wan't made in Grants Pass, I don't want it.

I was also speaking about a Noveske Shorty Basic Upper, not a complete gun. A factory Noveske SBR for $1500 would set off all types of bells and 'DANGER WILL ROBINSONS'.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Yeah, there are a LOT of franken-uppers out there. The few 'supposed' Noveske Uppers I have considered bidding on @ GunBroker all turned out to be built by seller / sellers buddy or my favorite 'i don't know?, its a Noveske'. If it wan't made in Grants Pass, I don't want it.

I was also speaking about a Noveske Shorty Basic Upper, not a complete gun. A factory Noveske SBR for $1500 would set off all types of bells and 'DANGER WILL ROBINSONS'.
    Ok..........I'm tracking now. Got hung up on the "Basic" which took my mind to "Model 1 Sales" and the like........my mistake. I'm half retarded sometimes.

I have seen a ton of "Noveske" stuff out there marketed just as you describe. It became so rampant on complete guns that John started doing the Noveske cross on the upper/lower for all complete builds from the factory versus some dude who bought an upper and lower with Dr. No's stamp/rollmark and assembled the rest with junk and "who knows". The etching was never in the same place twice, so it was a way to protect the integrity of the name, and reputation of true Noveske factory built guns.

And a factory Noveske SBR for $1500? Would set of my bank alert...........I'd max out my card if they would let me buy more than one at a time!

I would not recommend filing amendments with ATF - they really don't care. As long as you've got your stamp and your lower is engraved, you're GTG.

I've heard that many times the amendment forms take over a year to be processed, with several calls back and forth due to the fact that they are really not set up to handle the amendments.
    Outrunning my headlights since '81.

User Tag List