Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice On First NFA Purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    2k before or after the government steals your $200?
    Either or. $200 ain't no big thing.

Buy a BCM lower (Midwest Industries has them from time to time)

Send it for engraving

Once back, fill out your Form 1 and send it off

Shoot the ever living shit out of your BCM lower with a >16" upper, and earn cool-guy points the entire time while waiting until your stamp comes back. Also, buy the short barreled upper you wish to use at this time, but don't even think about setting on that lower and pushing those two pins. Inspect it upon arrival and then put it back in the box, in the back of your safe.

When your stamp comes back, you are obligated to "sqeeeee" like a little girl before assembling your SBR upper on your lower, and posting pr0n on the internet before heading to the range to try it out.

This way you actually get to shoot a new gun while you wait (8+ months right now) to get your stamp back, and then by putting a factory upper on your factory lower, you lose nothing with respect to factory reliability. Otherwise, buying any high quality factory SBR (BCM, DD, Colt, Noveske, etc.) will be fine, but you will have a looooong wait to take your new toy home.

Also, I will warn you that if you do get a silencer, you will never want to shoot unsuppressed again, and it can get expensive (both in cash and in marriage capital - ask me why I'm residing the house and building a new deck this summer...).
    Outrunning my headlights since '81.

I would highly recommend purchasing the suppressor and stamping out an existing or new lower now, wait times are currently sitting right at 6 months but with all of the panic buying that has taken place as of late the wait's may spike a little higher.

That should keep you below your 2k initial budget (to include the stamps) and gives you 6 months to both save for and acquire an upper, and once your stamps come in you will be ready to roll, vs. waiting 6 deciding you really want/need a suppressor and then waiting an additional 6 months for it to get approved.

I can also vouch for the once you go suppressed, is really hard to not shoot suppressed.

I have no affiliation 'other than being a highly satisfied customer' to silencershop.com but I highly recommend them, Dave and everyone else over there are solid knowledgeable guys.
    They also have M42k's, Mini 4's, Saker's & Specwars currently in stock! (and I believe last time I was in there they had a few factory SBR's.)

Quality NFA/Pistol Uppers are impossible to find right now (ask me how I know)

Best,
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Quality NFA/Pistol Uppers are impossible to find right now (ask me how I know)

Best,
    Jay
    Found THIS

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    Found THIS
    Everything about that upper is awesome, except it is exactly 2" longer than what my stamp says. The day Noveske 10.5's become available my inbox will implode, and my cell phone will explode from all of the stock notifications I have out there. I have literally spoken to every noveske dealer in the country, including california, because hey you never know right?

Everything about that upper is awesome, except it is exactly 2" longer than what my stamp says. The day Noveske 10.5's become available my inbox will implode, and my cell phone will explode from all of the stock notifications I have out there. I have literally spoken to every noveske dealer in the country, including california, because hey you never know right?
    There's one dealer that I promise that you didn't call....

And no, don't bother, since he doesn't have one either...

FredM, I'm wondering if you have a DD MK18...?? If so, I'm curious how many rounds you have through it, and if you have any other thoughts on the carbine that you'd be willing to share...

I may be out of my lane, but I was under the impression that you could go ANY length over what the stamp says...you just cannot go UNDER the stated length.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    I may be out of my lane, but I was under the impression that you could go ANY length over what the stamp says...you just cannot go UNDER the stated length.
    And I may be out of my lane here, but I don't think it matters - as long as you are not making a "permanent modification" to the weapon, it is my understanding that you can do whatever you jolly well please.

If you're worried about it, just send ATF a letter (as you would do if you were making a permanent modification to the weapon,) stating that you are going to put whatever length barrel on your registered receiver, and call it a day....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    And I may be out of my lane here, but I don't think it matters - as long as you are not making a "permanent modification" to the weapon, it is my understanding that you can do whatever you jolly well please.

If you're worried about it, just send ATF a letter (as you would do if you were making a permanent modification to the weapon,) stating that you are going to put whatever length barrel on your registered receiver, and call it a day....
    From atf.gov

Q: May the short barrel on an SBR or SBS be replaced with a long barrel for hunting or other purposes, with the intent of replacing the short barrel?

Yes, and you will not be required to again register the firearm before replacing the short barrel. ATF recommends written notification to the NFA Branch when a firearm’s configuration is permanently changed or removed from the purview of the NFA.
    My understanding is that you have to maintain the ability to return it to the configuration listed on your form. Beyond that, put whatever the heck you want on it. So if you register it as a 10.5", keep that upper around.
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    There's one dealer that I promise that you didn't call....

And no, don't bother, since he doesn't have one either...

FredM, I'm wondering if you have a DD MK18...?? If so, I'm curious how many rounds you have through it, and if you have any other thoughts on the carbine that you'd be willing to share...
    No direct experience on the MK 18, but have been using DD products for years, and feel confident recommending their carbines to people in the market for a quality AR.

I've toyed with getting a DD MK18 and suppressor, but the price of 5.56mm is going to put that project on hold indefinitely.

User Tag List