Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you put food on the table?

Quote Originally Posted by BOM View Post
    I feel much the same way about my Job.

Sure there is always better money, but hard to find something you really enjoy. Especially when it's a GOOD job.
    I'm also lucky to also have a wife that makes 2x what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    What, NTFS isn't the savior, end all be all FS?
    It never even needs degfragmenting!

As much as I loved Solaris, we went to SCO (yuck). At the time Vision FS suited our needs until Vista came along. Still stuck with SCO and now SAMBA. As soon as we can, we will replace the last UNIX box to Linux RHEL or Ubuntu. I am big into *NIX.
    I have a rhel box I never touch, management of it is outsourced, but I pushed for it - no reason not to use the best tool for that job. Also just put in a ubuntu box running ossec for some IDS - it's good to get back and do some things. apt-get is really incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I think that should read: "I spend many days providing the respect and support that our nation's fallen heroes have earned for themselves and their families."
    Yeah that's a pretty awesome job.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by dookie1481 View Post
    Yeah that's a pretty awesome job.
    That has to be a pretty tough job, seeing those families going through that.

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    ...it is outsourced...
    I hate that word.

I’m a Mechanical Engineer that got hired as a Electronics Engineer by the DOD doing R&D. I manage Countermine, Humanitarian Demining & Counter Explosive Hazard R&D projects.
    "Take the message to Garcia."

Fuse beat me to it.

I play trumpet in a dc military hand as well. Different one though.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    That has to be a pretty tough job, seeing those families going through that.
    Definitely, but very honorable.
    "I think we ought always to entertain our opinions with some measure of doubt. I shouldn't wish people dogmatically to believe any philosophy, not even mine." - Bertrand Russell

Retired professional practitioner of coercive violence.
    Formerly Police Lieutenant for a medium sized SoCal PD.

I'm a Construction Cost Consultant which means that I'm hired by insurance adjusters to assist with their handling and development of large commercial property claims - and if the weather doesn't quit this severe storm nonsense my plan to shoot more will be severly hindered

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I think that should read: "I spend many days providing the respect and support that our nation's fallen heroes have earned for themselves and their families."
    Thanks for the kind words.

One thing Jconn and I have in our gigs that not every classical musician has is a very appreciative audience, virtually all of the time. Whether I'm in the cemetery or playing a concert in a packed high school gym somewhere in rural America, I have found this is a near constant. Definitely one of the nice things about the job.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

User Tag List