Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ICE Assistant Director Bert Medina to Testify on Ammunition Procurement

Site Supporter

ICE Assistant Director Bert Medina to Testify on Ammunition Procurement

For those who have been wondering about DHS Ammo contracts ....

ICE Assistant Director Bert Medina to Testify on Ammunition Procurement

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, National Firearms and Tactical Training Unit Assistant Director Bert Medina will testify today at 10:00 a.m. before the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Subcommittee on National Security, in a hearing titled, “Oversight of the Federal Government’s Procurement of Ammunition.”

Nick Nayak, Chief Procurement Officer, U.S. Department of Homeland Security; and Patrick P. O’Carroll, Jr., Inspector General, Social Security Administration, will also testify. Additionally, Jon Adler, National President, Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association, will testify on a separate panel at the hearing.

Once the hearing begins, the committee will broadcast the hearing from its website at

http://oversight.house.gov/hearing/o...of-ammunition/

We are diminished
    I know Bert and dealt with him for years while I was running the Federal programs at SIG. He's a good dude and definitely not interested in kicking in any of doors to take our guns or ammo.

This whole thing is utterly ridiculous...

Site Supporter
    http://http://www.foxnews.com/politi...est=latestnews

Foxnews take = Reps challenge DHS ammo buys, say agency using 1,000 more rounds per person than Army

Comparing that with the small-arms purchases procured by the U.S. Army, he said the DHS is churning through between 1,300 and 1,600 rounds per officer, while the U.S. Army goes through roughly 350 rounds per soldier.

He noted that is "roughly 1,000 rounds more per person."

"Their officers use what seems to be an exorbitant amount of ammunition," he said.

My understanding, and I may be wrong, is that many soldiers in support branches can go years without firing unless they are deploying overseas, so i do not think this is a fair comparison.

It is also my understanding the Army has a "tooth to tail" ratio of 13 or 14 support personnel for each combat arms soldier.

My experience is the average DHS Officer / Agent will fire between 800 and 1.000 rounds per year. SRT, special units etc will fire more so the overall average of 1,300 to 1600 per sounds right.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

Foxnews take = Reps challenge DHS ammo buys, say agency using 1,000 more rounds per person than Army

My understanding, and I may be wrong, is that many soldiers in support branches can go years without firing unless they are deploying overseas, so i do not think this is a fair comparison.

It is also my understanding the Army has a "tooth to tail" ratio of 13 or 14 support personnel for each combat arms soldier.

My experience is the average DHS Officer / Agent will fire between 800 and 1.000 rounds per year. SRT, special units etc will fire more so the overall average of 1,300 to 1600 per sounds right.
    DHS also runs the FLETC's, which train folks from many other federal and local agencies that are not part of DHS. I've personally expended copious amounts of FLETC ammo.....with glee!
    They also train with duty ammo.

Like Todd said in another thread....

Monday night on the gunternet: "Cops suck at shooting. They don't train enough."

Tuesday night on the gunternet: "What, the DHS bought more ammo for their LEOs to shoot? Unpossible! It's a conspiracy! Along with those MRAPs the DHS bought.....it's not like we have IEDs going off stateside, or people throwing bombs at cops!"
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    The whole thing was theater. Silliness.

My fave part was when Nayak couldn't figure out how the media was reporting 1.5 billion rounds over 10 years when his numbers only added up to 750 million rounds over 5 years.

I guess even he puts his pants on one leg at a time.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post

The overwhelming majority of Army personnel are required to qualify annually. Certain personnel are required to qualify semi-annually. I am sure some units pencil-whip the qualifications, but that is an exception, not the norm.
    Last edited by Kevin B.; 04-25-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    C Class shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. View Post
    The overwhelming majority of Army personnel are required to qualify with annually. Certain personnel are required to qualify semi-annually. I am sure some units pencil-whip the qualifications, but that is an exception, not the norm.
    That was my experience as well. We had to qualify quarterly.

Comparing that with the small-arms purchases procured by the U.S. Army, he said the DHS is churning through between 1,300 and 1,600 rounds per officer, while the U.S. Army goes through roughly 350 rounds per soldier.

He noted that is "roughly 1,000 rounds more per person."

"Their officers use what seems to be an exorbitant amount of ammunition," he said.
    is that per officer per YEAR?
    if so that's nothing. i've shot that much since the beginning of this year, and i'd barely qualify as amateur.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    is that per officer per YEAR?
    if so that's nothing. i've shot that much since the beginning of this year, and i'd barely qualify as amateur.
    Yes, per officer, per year. A normal line officer/ agent in DHS fires quarterly,expending between 200 and 250 rounds per quarter depending on assignment.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-25-2013 at 04:18 PM.

User Tag List