Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TW-25B Grease

TW-25B Grease

I drank way to much cuban espresso so heres the cliff notes for those that don't want to read a novel...

kitten I learned today:

1. Clean the gun once a month regardless of shooting?
    2. Germans make good stuff
    3. I shouldn't drink six shots of cuban espresso.
    4. TW-25B dries up if you let it sit too long?
    5. I'm not as fast at vice presidente as Tom Cruise in Collateral

Full Version

Any one here who uses TW-25B grease ever have it dry up in a weapon they don't use often? I use TW-25B grease exclusively in my one and only pistola, a 9mm HK P30. Now you may be asking your self; why does Mr. Goodtimes only own one pistol? Well mostly because I'm a broke kitten college student, also because I cant really see what another handgun would do that my P30 doesn't, and I can buy a kitten ton of ammo, gas, red meat and nice kitten for the price of a Wilson.

Now back on topic, I like TW-25B because it's almost more of a thick lubricant than a grease, thus in 100 degree humid, muggy Florida heat it stays in place, vs other lubricants which tend to seep out of my gun. I typically shoot what I consider a fair amount, I practice about 400 rounds a month, typically divided into four range sessions (1 a week) and clean my gun every month. Lately things have been a little different, between going through the fire academy, working a full time job and a part time job I've probably shot my P30 five hundred rounds in the past 6 months (not the pf.com way I know, but thats still 500 more rounds than the average a hi-point user will shoot, in practice that is. Thats not taking into consideration rival gang members) now mind you i've still been carrying this gun almost daily. Now that I'm done with the fire academy and only work one full time job, I got some time on my hands.

So last night I did about a 300 round rang session with my old man, everything went normal, actually surprisingly well seeing as I haven't shot in so long. The P30 performed as well as a pistol manufactured by the teutonic master race should. Some would even say it ran "flawlessly." Today I break the gun apart to finally clean it and it looked like all the liquid had separated and evaporated from the TW-25B and what was left was this sort of dried powdery sludge stuff. Any one else ever had this happen?
    Last edited by ToddG; 04-22-2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: edited profanity

Your TW-25B melted when you got the pistol hot and debris mixed with the lubricant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I drank way to much cuban espresso so heres the cliff notes for those that don't want to read a novel...

kitten I learned today:

1. Clean the gun once a month regardless of shooting?
    2. Germans make good stuff
    3. I shouldn't drink six shots of cuban espresso.
    4. TW-25B dries up if you let it sit too long?
    5. I'm not as fast at vice presidente as Tom Cruise in Collateral

Full Version

Any one here who uses TW-25B grease ever have it dry up in a weapon they don't use often? I use TW-25B grease exclusively in my one and only pistola, a 9mm HK P30. Now you may be asking your self; why does Mr. Goodtimes only own one pistol? Well mostly because I'm a broke kitten college student, also because I cant really see what another handgun would do that my P30 doesn't, and I can buy a kitten ton of ammo, gas, red meat and nice kitten for the price of a Wilson.

Now back on topic, I like TW-25B because it's almost more of a thick lubricant than a grease, thus in 100 degree humid, muggy Florida heat it stays in place, vs other lubricants which tend to seep out of my gun. I typically shoot what I consider a fair amount, I practice about 400 rounds a month, typically divided into four range sessions (1 a week) and clean my gun every month. Lately things have been a little different, between going through the fire academy, working a full time job and a part time job I've probably shot my P30 five hundred rounds in the past 6 months (not the pf.com way I know, but thats still 500 more rounds than the average a hi-point user will shoot, in practice that is. Thats not taking into consideration rival gang members) now mind you i've still been carrying this gun almost daily. Now that I'm done with the fire academy and only work one full time job, I got some time on my hands.

So last night I did about a 300 round rang session with my old man, everything went normal, actually surprisingly well seeing as I haven't shot in so long. The P30 performed as well as a pistol manufactured by the teutonic master race should. Some would even say it ran "flawlessly." Today I break the gun apart to finally clean it and it looked like all the liquid had separated and evaporated from the TW-25B and what was left was this sort of dried powdery sludge stuff. Any one else ever had this happen?
    Anyone else feel like buying a cat?
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

I sea wut you did there. Sorry for the language Todd.

Would it be advisable to move away from the TW25B grease and towards a traditional lubricant? I went with the grease for the reasons I stated as well as having read a lot of great things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    I sea wut you did there.

Would it be advisable to move away from the TW25B grease and towards a traditional lubricant? I went with the grease for the reasons I stated as well as having read a lot of great things about it.
    I'm personally a fan of Froglube. As I mature as a shooter though and talk to more people who know way more about things than I do I'm sort of figuring out that it probably doesn't matter too much.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

I don't have the heat to deal with that you do but my gun is always in my crotch and it is always warm. Oil works just fine. People like FrogLube because you can feed it to your baby and what not but it appears to do OK in not getting everywhere. That said, I have no issues with my gun drying out using oil and it will make 2,000 rounds just fine, even with dirty ammo. In a pistol the lube really just needs to be there. WeaponShield Grease seems to be doing a good job on a G17 I applied a sample of it to. It's been subject to some heat cycles from a floor vent, on purpose, and hasn't seemed to change like I have noted other greases to.

Again though, pick a good oil and you'll be fine. There is a reason that the old guys that have been around forever use whatever is free. There is also a reason many of them chuckle when people talk about space shuttle door de-squeaker. It works, but so does most everything else.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I don't have the heat to deal with that you do but my gun is always in my crotch and it is always warm. Oil works just fine. People like FrogLube because you can feed it to your baby and what not but it appears to do OK in not getting everywhere. That said, I have no issues with my gun drying out using oil and it will make 2,000 rounds just fine, even with dirty ammo. In a pistol the lube really just needs to be there. WeaponShield Grease seems to be doing a good job on a G17 I applied a sample of it to. It's been subject to some heat cycles from a floor vent, on purpose, and hasn't seemed to change like I have noted other greases to.

Again though, pick a good oil and you'll be fine. There is a reason that the old guys that have been around forever use whatever is free. There is also a reason many of them chuckle when people talk about space shuttle door de-squeaker. It works, but so does most everything else.
    I agree, wonder lubes don't do anything for me either and it cracks me up when people ask what miracle lubricant they should use or how often/well they should clean their gun. I suppose I'll stick to the TW25 and just be more vigilant about not leaving it on for so long.. I may even go back to using Royal Purple 10W40. Orionz, It literally gets so hot down here that I've pulled my gun out of the truck before and the lube was literally seeping out from multiple crevices, and I lube my P30 lightly so it's not like I went full retard with the stuff. Thus I switched to a grease.

FrogLube may be worth looking into. Not because it will regrow hair and help make a mojito but because enough people have used it and we know it works and it does stay put. The magic stops there but it is functional, just not magic.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Good timing! Just last month I changed my cleaning and pre-range gear up process due to TW25B.
    I went to the range after a gap of 3 weeks, and during pre-range inspection, I noticed that the TW25b looked noticeably drier (not dry, just not as wet looking as when first applied). So...
    The end of my cleaning process included lubing rails with TW25B, and very light coat of Mil-comm oil on the barrel and critical rubby bits inside the slide.
    I've now moved that part of the procedure to prep steps on range day right before I head out the door. Everything is wet as I want it to be, makes me not think of lubrication but shooting mechanics, makes me feel better.
    My environment is New England. Very cold, not very hot. In fact, that may be the issue, cold. The relative humidity gets VERY LOW when it is winter, and everything including my skin dries up.
    Your mileage may very. And stay safe.

ps. The more I learn, the more I'm with the Sage level shooters here, use whatever grease/oil turns you on, clean when you feel like it. It is just two pieces of metal rubbing against each other, the world figured that all out over 100 years ago just fine. Don't over think it.
    If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis D. Brandeis

I've had excellent luck on personal and issued handguns using Froglube and Slide Glide (Light) in warm and cold climates. Both stay put, lubricate well and work as advertised. If a lubricant runs / burns off, simply reapply.

User Tag List