Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: To Close or Not To Close - That is the Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    This is the second example I've read of an instructor using the closed dust cover as a milestone or indicator of other-things-accomplished.
    One word: Kanban.

Are your headlights on?

Is your trunk ajar?

Is your computer off, or on and in standby?

Is your phone battery charged?

Visual or tactile indications that a function has been (or needs to be) performed are engineering controls; while not necessarily value-add manipulations in and of themselves, they can nonetheless be an important part of a manual of arms designed for maximum reliability of the tool (in this case weapon system).
    Outrunning my headlights since '81.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    This is the second example I've read of an instructor using the closed dust cover as a milestone or indicator of other-things-accomplished.
    I guess the "other things accomplished" would be as opposed to closing it to prevent dust/debris from getting in the chamber?

Well, the DC won't close unless the gun is fully in battery. So I can see where it makes sense after a press check to close the dust cover.

Pat Rogers also teaches to close it to get his students in the habit of verifying the status of their weapon post engagement. He has them look into the action, then close the cover. At an EAG carbine course, it is taught, then expected that it be done after every firing repetition. Keep in mind that most courses are only 2 days long, and for a student who has never heard of, or been taught a technique, the more reps over two days, the more likely one is to actually learn the technique, and be able to apply it. Having attended several EAG courses, it makes sense the way Pat teaches the DC closing technique. I've even been the honorable recipient of the MC award, which could have been avoided, had I followed the EAG course guidance and examined the action, and closed the dust cover. It would have shown me an empty gun that I hadn't noticed because I was too busy shooting the shit with a buddy I hadn't seen in a long time, and was putting more emphasis on socializing than on training.

As a student of the game learns, grows, and develops as a shooter based on training and experience, the what, when, where, how, and why will continually change and evolve. Ideally, he/she will be able to determine their own best practices under a variety of circumstances, most importantly, those most applicable to their situation and needs.

There is no "One way", or "Only way" to do things. And I tend to move quickly away from any instructor who teaches that there is only one way. I flat out run from instructors who claim that not only is there only one way to do things, but insist that their way is the only correct way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Well, the DC won't close unless the gun is fully in battery.
    Not to pick nits, but it will close if the bolt is locked to the rear. (It was raining, and the range had no overhead cover. Only ever saw one M16 range with overhead cover, at Cp Humphreys, Korea.)
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Not to pick nits, but it will close if the bolt is locked to the rear. (It was raining, and the range had no overhead cover. Only ever saw one M16 range with overhead cover, at Cp Humphreys, Korea.)
    Maybe nit picky, but it is also true. I (as often happens) made the assumption everyone reading would be able to keep up where we were discussing.

Thanks for pointing that out. I am sure there are some folks who did not know that, or where not completely sure where my point of the conversation was. I sometimes take for granted certain things.
    Last edited by Odin Bravo One; 04-26-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Jay,

When you load the AR, feel for the top cartridge in the magazine and determine if it's port or starboard. Insert magazine with a "push-pull", release bolt, place weapon on "Safe", close dust cover. Remove magazine, check that the top cartridge has moved to the other side. If so, the previous uppermost cartridge must be in the chamber. Insert magazine and check with "push-pull" to ensure magazine is locked in place.

I like this better than breaking the seal of the bolt/chamber after the action spring has had a good run at chambering a round.

Okay, so it's a crossover check. I also like it for initial loading.

But what about a simple status check? How does that technique help?

After admin load, press check, FA bump, sweep to verify safety on, dust cover closed. Ready to deploy. After engagements, no immediate threats, area scan / assessment, personnel status check, weapon status check, dust cover closed, ready for movement. If I am on a shooting line and I have the time to relax, let it hang or shoot the shit with the guy next to me, I am also closing it up. While I am not as obsessive as what I may have seen in others, my own personal experiences / training environments have confirmed that there are times and places to close it up.

User Tag List