Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad gun advice YOU'VE given

Bad gun advice YOU'VE given

Fess up, people!

Let’s face it; shooting is a constant learning experience. And I think most of us here are above the curve as far as firearms knowledge goes. However, in obtaining knowledge we often pick up some BS along the way- various bit of nonsense we discard as our knowledge level grows. However, sometimes we pass on that BS to others before we learn better.

So, what your dirty little secrets? What loads of BS have you dropped on some poor ignorant soul?

For me- as the resident “gun guru”, I’ve been asked to recommend a pistol for self defense to those heading back to the US. My response was that they should get a Glock 19…
    Good advice had I left it at that. However, I tended to add…Generation 4 model.

Now, in my defense, this was before I saw Todd’s and other’s troubles with the Gen 4. But I should have done my research!

A long long time ago in a galaxy far away...

I worked for a school where the chief instructor was firmly of the opinion that pistols should be carried with empty chambers. And that situational awareness would allow you to spot the trouble and get your gun loaded in plenty of time. I am deeply embarresed to say I fell for this malarky and spread the stupidity. Young and dumb I was.

Fortunately I got better.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    From '94 to about '99, I was a real big believer in those Marshal & Sanow "One Shot Stop" ratings.

Basically, before the internets, I was like an audio copy of the last six months of Handguns, American Handgunner, Guns & Ammo, Combat Handguns, etc. Heck, I briefly carried and recommended a Painted Ordnance P-12 because Jan Libourel, who I now realize never met a gun he didn't like, said they were the berries. (Mine actually ran, which was odd, but I wonder to how many people I sold wretched pulsating balls of suck and fail because I believed that dreck?)

"Go shoot a bunch of guns and see which 'fits' you"- as said by me to a gun noob that doesn't know what a good grip is.

That's rather simple - I have never given a bad gun advice.

I leave gun advice to gun professionals. I am just a dude on lane 12 working on my drills, no matter how cute a potential advisee on lane 11 looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    From '94 to about '99, I was a real big believer in those Marshal & Sanow "One Shot Stop" ratings.

Basically, before the internets, I was like an audio copy of the last six months of Handguns, American Handgunner, Guns & Ammo, Combat Handguns, etc. Heck, I briefly carried and recommended a Painted Ordnance P-12 because Jan Libourel, who I now realize never met a gun he didn't like, said they were the berries. (Mine actually ran, which was odd, but I wonder to how many people I sold wretched pulsating balls of suck and fail because I believed that dreck?)
    I unfortunately once suffered from that disease. I need owned a P12 but golly gee whiskers I sure did want one.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    That's rather simple - I have never given a bad gun advice.

I leave gun advice to gun professionals. I am just a dude on lane 12 working on my drills, no matter how cute a potential advisee on lane 11 looks.
    Don't squander those opportunities

Recommending Bushmaster AR's from about 1998-2003, before I knew better.....

I used to recommend that people carry mouseguns a lot. IIRC, my logic was "you're probably not going to need it anyway". Then somewhere I got un-retarded.

User Tag List