Thread: P30 LEM Trigger Pull

P30 LEM Trigger Pull

When shooting my LEM P30, I've been staging the trigger prior to making the shot. My instructor today told me not to do that, but to just pull the trigger in one motion. He admitted not being real familiar with H&K guns, but said that was the proper method for shooting a DAO. Comments, suggestions?
    --
    Formerly hombre gris
    I am no longer LEO, never .MIL. I am .DAD and my attitude will reflect that.
    Cogito ergo armatus sum -- I think, therefore I am armed

If you are shooting groups, stage it - it isn't a true DAO (since the main spring is pre-cocked by the slide). I always pre stage (remove all the take-up) before shooting. Even when shooting multiple shot strings, I will have already reset the trigger and taken up all the slack prior to the sights settling back on the target. On a true DAO, which acts like a revolver trigger, I would agree with your instructor. The LEM is a different animal.

On quick splits, I release the trigger enough to get a positive reset (which is nowhere close to letting the trigger all the way back to start) and then pull through without staging. If you staged the trigger your splits would be very slow.

On the first shot from the holster or ready position, I pull out the slack during the press out, and break the shot as soon as my arms are extended, but I don't just roll through the trigger in one quick motion.
    Last edited by John Ralston; 04-23-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KentF View Post
    When shooting my LEM P30, I've been staging the trigger prior to making the shot. My instructor today told me not to do that, but to just pull the trigger in one motion. He admitted not being real familiar with H&K guns, but said that was the proper method for shooting a DAO. Comments, suggestions?
    There's a difference between "staging" the trigger on a double-action revolver - which means pulling the trigger until the hammer is almost at the rear, holding it there, and then completing the trigger pull with the hammer almost in single-action mode- and going through the long takeup of the LEM trigger to get to the actual trigger pull.

To the unfamiliar observer it may look similar because the hammer on the LEM moves with the trigger.

We are diminished
    A good trigger pull means constantly adding more pressure on the trigger. Don't think of the trigger pull in terms of movement, but more in terms of weight.

When I pull through the LEM trigger, it may look like my finger has stopped moving because adding a little more weight doesn't push through the break. But in my mind, my finger never stops moving. I never purposely stop in the middle of the trigger press.

Good point - I don't get to the end of the take up and stop either, but I don't apply enough pressure during the take up to blow past the trigger break. The takeup is done very quickly and then more pressure is applied until the shot breaks (some times very quickly, and sometimes it is a bit more controlled).

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    A good trigger pull means constantly adding more pressure on the trigger. Don't think of the trigger pull in terms of movement, but more in terms of weight.

When I pull through the LEM trigger, it may look like my finger has stopped moving because adding a little more weight doesn't push through the break. But in my mind, my finger never stops moving. I never purposely stop in the middle of the trigger press.
    OK. I am stopping at the point of taking up the the slack.
    --
    Formerly hombre gris
    I am no longer LEO, never .MIL. I am .DAD and my attitude will reflect that.
    Cogito ergo armatus sum -- I think, therefore I am armed

User Tag List