Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    I might be getting older, but that’s no reason to act like it.
    @Archer1440, we have the same motorcycle model (Honda CBR600RR, PC40). I ride mine mainly in Germany.

How the CBRs are build in the Kumamoto factory (in Google Maps):

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    @Archer1440, we have the same motorcycle model (Honda CBR600RR, PC40). I ride mine mainly in Germany.

How the CBRs are build in the Kumamoto factory (in Google Maps):

Yeah, I also have a VFR800. I'm actually 100% sure that is the old Hamamatsu factory in that video- that factory required a lot of movement of materials between three floors, vertically, while Kumamoto is laid out in a more efficient manner. However, fewer Brazilian Japanese workers in Kumamoto vs Hamamatsu (where lots of road signs are in Portuguese).

My '07 CBR was actually built in the old Hamamatsu factory, the '14 VFR came out of Kumamoto- one of the very first 50 off that line. 99% of my riding these days is on canyon roads, in Utah. And I still ride with a P7- safest motorcycle carry gun ever devised.

I'm actually 100% sure that is the old Hamamatsu factory in that video- that factory required a lot of movement of materials between three floors, vertically, while Kumamoto is laid out in a more efficient manner. [...] My '07 CBR was actually built in the old Hamamatsu factory
    Interesting. I wrote the CBR600RR is build in Kumamoto because the Honda webpage I linked above says so. But then I suppose, this applies only for later production years.

My CBR is also a '07 model. So according to your info, it was also born in Hamamatsu.

Where did you get your knowledge about the Honda factories?
    Last edited by P30; 07-05-2023 at 01:15 PM.

99% of my riding these days is on canyon roads, in Utah. And I still ride with a P7- safest motorcycle carry gun ever devised.
    That's great. I also like curvy roads. Best public roads in Europe for my taste are in the Alps. My favorite race track is Oschersleben in Germany, rode there many times.
    Last edited by P30; 07-05-2023 at 01:38 PM.

Where did you get your knowledge about the Honda factories?
    Hiroshi Yamamoto (Olympian and Honda global ambassador) and Casey Stoner (a somewhat well known MC guy- LOL) are good friends of mine- and with 125 trips to Japan in the past 29 years including a few track days here and there, you learn stuff.

Also, the 11th digit on all Honda MC VIN's tell you the exact factory. M = Hamamatsu, K = Kumamoto.

I'm sorry to say that my P7 safety experience comes from personal experience. In 2014, I was riding my previous VFR (04) to work when a driver decided she did not want to get on the freeway entrance after all- and she went right through me (and a grass median) in the process of changing her mind.

She did not stop.

My P7 was under me in my thigh bag as I slid 50 meters on the asphalt, face down. The magazine baseplate was ground down to the tube (with heat bluing to finish the fresh modification) , but the frame was miraculously completely untouched. I was in a full Vanson leather suit, Arai Corsair helmet, Dainese boots and Dainese gloves with titanium knuckle guards. The right knee panel on the suit failed, so when I bounced up and walked over to the median to have a seat, I looked down and noted that my patella was shining in the sun. I didn't notice the injured vertebrae in my lower back at the time. That was not good either.

Next thing I knew I was looking up into the face of a cop who just happened to be a track day manager of my local club in his spare time. The incident had been witnessed by a n umber of drivers who stopped to help out and said cop was just a minute behind. Needless to say, my local police were well motivated to find the driver, which they did, in short order.

Now, this experience and attendant physical effects has slowed me down a fair bit in longer USPSA field courses, but it has zero effect on my ability to ride a sport bike.
    Last edited by Archer1440; 07-05-2023 at 01:48 PM.

Hiroshi Yamamoto (Olympian and Honda global ambassador) and Casey Stoner (a somewhat well known MC guy- LOL) are good friends of mine- and with 125 trips to Japan in the past 29 years including a few track days here and there, you learn stuff.
    Cool.

Also, the 11th digit on all Honda MC VIN's tell you the exact factory. M = Hamamatsu, K = Kumamoto.
    Just looked it up: Mine has an M there.

PS:
    As far as I know, the PC40 is still the lightest production sport bike with at least 600cc on the planet. I made mine even lighter by replacing the battery with a LiFePO battery and replacing the chain kit with a DID 520ERV7. I'm considering a titanium exhaust system in order to save more weight.

I looked down and noted that my patella was shining in the sun. I didn't notice the injured vertebrae in my lower back at the time. That was not good either. [...] Now, this experience and attendant physical effects has slowed me down a fair bit in longer USPSA field courses, but it has zero effect on my ability to ride a sport bike.
    We do not only have the exact same bike model in common. I also hurt my right knee (in a paramotor accident), patellar luxation and stuff, have fully recovered. Certain stretching exercises helped me a lot. I wrote there a bit about some of my favorite stretches.
    Last edited by P30; 07-05-2023 at 02:30 PM.

Cool.

Just looked it up: Mine has an M there.

PS:
    As far as I know, the PC40 is still the lightest production sport bike with at least 600cc on the planet. I made mine even lighter by replacing the battery with a LiFePO battery and replacing the chain kit with a DID 520ERV7. I'm considering a titanium exhaust system in order to save more weight.
    I think you're right, and the 2007 still has the highest power to weight of any of the current 600RR's - it hasn't been changed much since the '07, just more stuff for noise and emissions has been bolted on over the past few revisions, making it heavier and a bit slower in current form. I'm just glad they're still being made.

MT-07 loaded up for a USPSA match yesterday. On the way home I was stuck following a Harley group ride for around 40 miles. I have never felt so out of place
    Name:  IMG_1144.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  101.1 KB

I've had a few bikes. My preference now, even though I sold my last BMW years ago and bought a Kubota tractor, would be something under 600 lbs with 60 HP and chain drive. There would be many to choose from with that configuration. I've looked at some of the new Triumphs but never rode one. Looks like the original concept of light weight and superb handling ability. I had an original TR6 roadster and that convinced me that weight and handling was more important than horse power. I had several BMW's but nothing measured up to the fun factor with that TR6. About 500 lbs and 40 HP. 110 mph was the top end.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/1970-tr...0Police%20TR6P.
    Last edited by Borderland; 09-04-2023 at 07:48 PM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I've had a few bikes. My preference now, even though I sold my last BMW years ago and bought a Kubota tractor, would be something under 600 lbs with 60-70 HP and chain drive. There would be many to choose from with that configuration. I've looked at some of the new Triumphs but never rode one. I had an original TR6 roadster and that convinced me that weight and handling was more important than horse power. I had several BMW's but nothing measured up to the fun factor with that TR6.

https://www.webbikeworld.com/1970-tr...0Police%20TR6P.
    My frame of reference is pretty narrow at this point, I grew up on sub 250cc dirt bikes and I may have...borrowed by step fathers Harley soft tail on occasion...
    I have been very happy with the MT07 thus far, it has enough power to handle the highway safely, but is nimble and light enough for daily commuting through town and some surprise back/dirt roads as well being pretty forgiving for a more novice street rider.

User Tag List