Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles

A Ducati Scrambler is really an "off-road capable" motorcycle in image only, in my opinion.

The CRF450L is a proper dual sport capable of off-road work that the Duc can probably only dream of. The whole Duc Scrambler line is really just an image and a bike for people who want Ducatis but aren't willing to bite the bullet and buy a Monster.

__

I'd go dual-sport for the proposed riding (if you're going to actually ride off-road?). And frankly, if you haven't ridden in a while, spending $10,000 on a new motorcycle is a waste of cash. A KLR650 or DRZ650 will probably do everything you want to do and cost a lot less money.

In reality I will be on pavement allot more than I'd take it off road but I do want some off road capabilities in the bike. I also know next to nothing about motorcycles so i value any input you guys have, And yes I'm aware the scrambler is not a bike to be taken off road in any real usage.

Quote Originally Posted by snow white View Post
    In reality I will be on pavement allot more than I'd take it off road but I do want some off road capabilities in the bike. I also know next to nothing about motorcycles so i value any input you guys have, And yes I'm aware the scrambler is not a bike to be taken off road in any real usage.
    Don't get me wrong, the Ducatis are absolutely gorgeous motorcycles. Just if you're starting out (or like me, wanting to re-start after nigh 20 years). You're probably best served by something 1) Used 2) Japanese 3) In the 300-700cc range.

For a dual-sport the gold standards that aren't BMWs or KTMs are the Kawasaki KLR650 and the Suzuki DRZ650. Both of which have been in continuous production for 25+ years. They have plenty of parts, maintenance regimes are well established, lots of bikes are out there on the used market. Big enough and powerful enough to get out of their own way. Plus, if you drop a 15-year old $3,000 motorcycle, and bend or break something, you won't be heart broken and the parts to fix it can be at your door in a few days.

If you aren't going to do the maintenance or work yourself, then KLR or DRZ is something any competent bike mechanic should be able to fix or maintain without a problem. Once you get wheels under you and get used to it, you can pick up something else and you won't lose virtually any value on a KLR or DRZ.

___

I guess think about it like you would buying a car for a teenager. Would you buy a teenager an Alfa Romeo or a Porsche - or would you buy them a Honda or Toyota sedan?

Thank you, I'll be looking into the KLR and DRZ. That absolutely seems the way to go.

This year is the year I get a bike I think. I've been looking pretty hard at the Ducati scrambler. The crf450 series seems intriguing as well. I'm not looking to take extremely long trips on it. I live in a rural area sk the ability to take it off road to some degree seems practical.
    What you describe is why I am considering a Honda CB500x:
    https://powersports.honda.com/street.../CB500X/cb500x
    The 2019+ has an "adventure" oriented 19" front wheel. New ones are under $7k, a friend just bought an older one that is VERY nice for only $3800.

They have become popular, so there is a lotta YouTube content. Go watch some of it and see if that might be the kind of riding you perceive yourself doing.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Thank you, I'll be looking into the KLR and DRZ. That absolutely seems the way to go.
    Look at the DRZ 400, too. It's a lot lighter than the 650s. I know a guy who commuted on the SM for awhile and loved it. I'd see him wheelying down PCH every once in awhile. Everything RR said about the 650s applies, except the 400 lacks a cush drive rear hub.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I'm leaning twords the KLR 650, Seems like a more comfortable bike for the road and still retains decent off road capability.

I'm leaning twords the KLR 650, Seems like a more comfortable bike for the road and still retains decent off road capability.
    You're exactly right. KLR is more road biased than the DR.
    Here's 10 pages on the differences!
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/klr-or-dr650.1337997/

Site Supporter
    @snow white what is your definition of off-road? Dirt roads you can take a 2x2 truck down, four wheeler/ side by side trails or actual single track?

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    @snow white what is your definition of off-road? Dirt roads you can take a 2x2 truck down, four wheeler/ side by side trails or actual single track?
    Good question, I'm not looking at anything serious for the off road capability. I have plenty of class 6 roads around as well as an enormous network of snowmobile trails. It would in all honesty see relatively little hard off road use.

User Tag List