Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    Uncovered and made ready today.
    Tires aired up, as they were @ 10 psi from the winter. (should be 30)
    Got this retro bumper for the Vulcan for Christmas, mounted it up today.

Attachment 104124

I have a Vulcan classic 2005 with 1600cc engine that I bought new. I want to sell it and buy a Goldwing- the latest model with auto transmission. Mrs. Wolfie likes to go on small trips on the Vulcan. But the Gold wing is 29,000

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFIE View Post
    I have a Vulcan classic 2005 with 1600cc engine that I bought new. I want to sell it and buy a Goldwing- the latest model with auto transmission. Mrs. Wolfie likes to go on small trips on the Vulcan. But the Gold wing is 29,000
    The problem with selling used motorcycles around here is you can't get a decent price for one. My neighbor has about 5 and just sold a 12 yo Vulcan that had lots of upgrades and was well maintained. He was talking to a parts guy who had one in the parking lot and mentioned he had one just like it. The parts guy asked if his was for sale. He said take a look and make me an offer. Parts guy shows up with a friend who might buy it. Takes it for a spin and says it's had some performance enhancements. His buddy offers my neighbor $1000 and it was sold.

Everything my neighbor owns is well maintained. That guy stole that Vulcan but 1K is probably about what a dealer would give you if he bought it.

My last bike was a BMW and they're damn hard to sell around here. Absolutely have to sell boats, motorcycles and RV's in the spring for any perspective buyers.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    The problem with selling used motorcycles around here is you can't get a decent price for one. My neighbor has about 5 and just sold a 12 yo Vulcan that had lots of upgrades and was well maintained. He was talking to a parts guy who had one in the parking lot and mentioned he had one just like it. The parts guy asked if his was for sale. He said take a look and make me an offer. Parts guy shows up with a friend who might buy it. Takes it for a spin and says it's had some performance enhancements. His buddy offers my neighbor $1000 and it was sold.

Everything my neighbor owns is well maintained. That guy stole that Vulcan but 1K is probably about what a dealer would give you if he bought it.

My last bike was a BMW and they're damn hard to sell around here. Absolutely have to sell boats, motorcycles and RV's in the spring for any perspective buyers.
    I think it is like that here in Louisiana. And my bike is 18 years old; that is not helping. For $1,000.00 i may as well trade it in.

I want the Goldwing pretty bad. I looked at one at the Honda dealership. The engine sounds awesome. And it would be more comfortable for my wife especially on a trip.

If Louisiana was 'round the corner from New Hampshire, I'd give you the Grand cash.

Unfortunately, too far away and logistically challenging.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFIE View Post
    I think it is like that here in Louisiana. And my bike is 18 years old; that is not helping. For $1,000.00 i may as well trade it in.

I want the Goldwing pretty bad. I looked at one at the Honda dealership. The engine sounds awesome. And it would be more comfortable for my wife especially on a trip.
    I remember almost buying a new Goldwing when they first arrived at the local dealer. The first ones didn't have fairings and were 4 cylinder 1000's. 80's sometime but I don't remember exactly when. Always been a really nice touring bike. I can understand the want. Neighbor consigned a real nice BMW K something or other to a dealer. Took forever to sell it. I think he sold it for about 2K. Unbelievable.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    If Louisiana was 'round the corner from New Hampshire, I'd give you the Grand cash.

Fly-n-ride!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Sort of sad to see the values of those bikes being so low. Ive been wanting an older H-D, an early panhead, something in the 1948-52 or so year range. The cheapest ones are heavily modified way back and are in the $12-$14K range, the more original condition ones bump up around $20k and up. Knuckleheads (1936-47), forget it, they go much higher.

The 1984 Im riding was $5k when I bought it 4 years ago, and a deal for its condition and way it was set up, though still much newer than I really wanted.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Site Supporter

I would love to sell it to you CSW. You are a member of pistol forum after all.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Fly-n-ride!
    He would definitely have a feel for the bike by the time he made it home!

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    That sissy bar has to go. Otherwise, nice.

I'll admit, after the Stella experiment and knowing another cross-country move is coming in the next ~3-4 years, it's going to be a long time before I buy another motorcycle. Though, for reasons I can't quite comprehend, since I have literally crashed every motorcycle I have ever owned, Mrs. RR keeps talking about my next motorcycle. Although most recently she has said, "When you get another motorcycle, it should probably be one you only ride on the track. That is a lot safer."

Which, I mean she's not wrong, high-sides are pretty rare on a track. And full leathers + low sides tend to result in far less injury.
    I'm quoting myself here for posterity.

I told Mrs. RR about this post, when I made it. And said to her afterwards, "I don't think I'll really want to buy another motorcycle. I got it out of my system with the Stella."

She snorted and said, "Sure."

Me, "No, I'm serious. I just don't look at motorcycles the same way any more."

Mrs. RR, "Uh huh."

This was April 28, 2023.

---

Three days ago, May 16, 2023, I'm driving home from campus. It is a stunningly beautiful day. I stop at Home Depot for a tool. As I'm leaving, I'm behind a guy on a great looking Triumph Thruxton.

I see the bike and think, "Damn that's nice. I bet one of those loaded with Öhlins suspension and those Thornton Hundred twist exhaust would be fun as hell to ride. I wonder what a Thruxton cost these days? Yea, that'd be a great next... ... ... ...bike. Shit!"

So, I made it 18-days.

User Tag List