Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles

Site Supporter
    Like Dan Lehr I wave at everything on two wheels once I hit the two lanes, and I try to acknowledge people on side roads who don’t turn into my path as well. People cosplaying road pirates and 1%’s get the princess wave.

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    Wow, I like the mindset speaking out of Rob's post very much: "Have fun and don't harm others. Viva la vida!". I ride a Honda CBR600RR, I usually don't start waving but always wave back. If I know that a person has this attitude, I would always give them a wave.

PS:
    I heard the linked song very often when I was with my motorbike in Corsica the year the song came out (2008). It was a great time there.
    In @Welder's defense, I interpreted his post as primarily sarcasm. I think it got lost in translation. Is there a German word/idiom for "the humor was lost/missed"? In the US the idiom would be, " 'it' (the joke) flew right over their head".

None-the-less, I concur, enjoy the road/ride, keep it shiny side up!

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    In @Welder's defense, I interpreted his post as primarily sarcasm. I think it got lost in translation. Is there a German word/idiom for "the humor was lost/missed"? In the US the idiom would be, " 'it' (the joke) flew right over their head".

No problem, Welder's post was OK from my point of view. I've understood that he did not attack you and that it was more of a joke.

I don't know a German idiom exactly for that. But we have an idiom for not understanding something very obvious: "Der hat den Schuss nicht gehört." = "He did not hear the shot."

Normally, I hear the shot.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post

Yeah, I'm totally picking fun at you. I have never been waved at by a scooter, either, though, so as a rule I really don't wave to them. I think in my area there's an uneasy truce between scooters and motorcyclists....because there are almost no scooters around except for in town (where I rarely go on a bike), and those that are around, are still generally being used as DUI-mobiles. I live in the land of 55 mph roads and scooters are kinda like bicycles, horses and buggies, tractors, and combines -- they slow the rest of us down since we don't have as many flat and non-curvy areas where we can see to easily pass. They're hazards to themselves and to us when we pop over a hill and there they are, going half the speed of everything else.

The difference between scooters and the other slowpokes is that nobody is riding a scooter because their religious beliefs prevent them from owning a car or because they're on the way to or from the fields to do actual work that feeds a country, so it's harder to make excuses in our minds for them (again, speaking of the lands of the 55 mph roads). Also, Mennonites on bicycles get friendly waves from all of us, while people in expensive jerseys from NOVA who are riding in clumps and slowing us down on our way to work are pretty much universally hated. Sometime I have to tell the story about the rider in a white with red polka dots spandex suit who was parading himself around in the country store just down the road.

When we're talking about real motorcycles, I wave at anything that isn't a DUI-mobile, and I'd say in this area I get waves back 95% of the time. Very friendly area for bikes. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm on a Concours or a Tuono or an old '79 GS425, I almost always get a wave back.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    They're hazards to themselves and to us when we pop over a hill and there they are, going half the speed of everything else.
    I find this is an important point.

Race track trainings are divided in groups by speed (mainly determined by the riders' abilities). Reason: Significantly increase safety. And in the briefing at the beginning of the training they tell you: Ride predictably (so that a following faster rider does not crash into you).

I remember vacations in Southern European countries/islands. On rural roads, the cars there drive pretty fast over hills and into blind corners - also when it's dark. I don't want to be a slow road user in front of them in such a situation - especially not on a bike. Here in Germany, I find this is a lesser problem. I suppose the drivers here are a bit more risk-aware or less temperamental.
    Last edited by P30; 11-01-2021 at 03:35 AM.

Just your typical ride off a cliff....

https://bikerumor.com/must-watch-tom...iff-in-france/

Almost like the days of movie stunts before they were done digitally.

Site Supporter
    A good watch for anyone who likes small bikes and the idea of traveling Alaska or somewhere similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Geb_QFxp_hs

I've owned a Monkey and a GROM and the Trail 125 may be my next bad (?) decision.
    Last edited by Crashpad; 11-20-2021 at 12:26 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashpad View Post
    A good watch for anyone who likes small bikes and the idea of traveling Alaska or somewhere similar.

I've owned a Monkey and a GROM and the Trail 125 may be my next bad (?) decision.
    I'ma hafta watch that later. Without having watched it, and as a TE610 owner, I've been thinking about updating to the CRF450L a lot more than anything smaller.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I'ma hafta watch that later. Without having watched it, and as a TE610 owner, I've been thinking about updating to the CRF450L a lot more than anything smaller.
    I've been kind of looking at the 300L Rally myself, but will probably end up with a DR650. Or a Tenere 700 if I can ever find one to test ride.
    That being said I've had a lot of fun on Honda's small bikes the last few years and will likely end up with another one. They are simple, have enough power for what they are, the MPGs are great, etc.

One of the more fun shot range small bikes I've owned was the Honda NX250.

Small and light, with a low center of gravity, so it zipped along pretty good on it's one cylinder. The dual sport suspension was great on the bad PNG roads
    Plus, it was pretty easy to tuck out of the way when you got somewhere.

However, it didn't have a faring, and could get pretty tiring on longer trips. There wasn't a lot of space for luggage, either.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

User Tag List