Page 19 of 54 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles

The wife is starting to wish that we, she said we, would have gotten something more suited for two up trips. Enter the GS. We went and sat on one last weekend, she dug it. That seed is planted... Car will be paid off soon and then I'll start making a push. She likes the idea of day trips and what not.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    The wife is starting to wish that we, she said we, would have gotten something more suited for two up trips. Enter the GS. We went and sat on one last weekend, she dug it. That seed is planted... Car will be paid off soon and then I'll start making a push. She likes the idea of day trips and what not.
    My wife never caught the bug. She took the MSF class and has her "M" endorsement, but doesn't have much interest in riding as a driver or pillion. Sometimes I wish that were different, other times I'm glad that it's not both of us taking the risk, since our kids are not yet independent.

Some of the coolest 2-up riding I've ever seen was a few years ago, working at a local track doing corner safety (volunteer thing). There was a guy and his girlfriend 2-up doing a track day. They were among the fastest on the track. Fun to watch when it's done so well.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Tail of the Dragon is a blast. 550 miles to get here including a hefty chunk of the Blue Ridge Parkway and another 500 miles ridden once here.

Tail of the Dragon is a blast. 550 miles to get here including a hefty chunk of the Blue Ridge Parkway and another 500 miles ridden once here.
    Give me a holler the next time you come through. I'm local.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'm already planning it.

Signed up for California Superbike School in NJ on August 3rd. Should be fun.

I'm already planning it.

Signed up for California Superbike School in NJ on August 3rd. Should be fun.

Where is this being held?

New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville.

Do you guys subscribe to a 1st time rider(me), with no experience, starting on a used 250 ninja?

Quote Originally Posted by isis07734 View Post
    Do you guys subscribe to a 1st time rider(me), with no experience, starting on a used 250 ninja?
    If you're young and flexible, you can probably deal with sport bike ergonomics. 250 ninja seems like good value for the money. Dry weight is only about 350 lbs. If you're a 6 ft 200 lb guy, probably not a first choice.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by isis07734 View Post
    If you are adult dimensioned and reasonably spry, I would point you to a mid-displacement streetbike, rather than a baby crotch rocket as a starter. Going with middle-ground displacement gives you some room to stay with the bike as your skills improve. The "risk" of larger displacement can be completely mitigated by using the gear between your ears wisely. Just pick a bike that fits your dimensions comfortably.

Modern bikes:
    Kawasaki 650R (the R is important.... The non-R 650 is a sport bike.)
    Ducati scrambler
    Triumph Street triple (675)
    Lots of choices in the mid-displacement, upright, mild mannered street bike category.
    Even a BMW GS 650 could be a good starter (assuming it fits your size) and give you room to grow into it.

Old but still serviceable: Check your local Craigslist. LOTS of great deals from people selling bikes they never ride.
    Example: http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/mcy/5105193737.html
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/5100934337.html
    Honda Nighthawk (650-750cc) Best starter bike, IMO

If you are more into cruisers, the Honda Shadow offers lots of choices in many displacements, but, IMO, a cruiser is a bad place to learn to ride. Cruisers have limited ground clearance and limit a new rider from learning how to properly countersteer and what traction is available outside the center of your tires. Learning how to lean into a turn is not only fun, it'll save your life. when you start dragging hard parts well before you run out of tire, you don't learn how to do it properly.

Just my $0.02. YMMV
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

User Tag List