Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Makes me think of Audrey and Natalie.

Name:  8599f1389ddbf9e8667a541011be5da1.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  27.3 KB Name:  d21c0db962e2c06f07723b0b7fe44990.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  29.8 KB
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

So, I got all the crash bars, the front 'bumper', and spare tire. In total, without touching anything mechanical, I have removed 29.8 pounds from bike.

The thing weighed 240 pounds at the curb, before the chrome crap, but counting the spare. So, I dialed it down to about 230 pounds (spare was 10 pounds by itself).

In the mean time, going to go toss the crash bars on Craigslist. Apparently they're highly sought after and to be honest after looking online, that shit is expensive. Easily $600 worth of chrome was stuck on this thing.

Site Supporter
    So, I got all the crash bars, the front 'bumper', and spare tire. In total, without touching anything mechanical, I have removed 29.8 pounds from bike.

The thing weighed 240 pounds at the curb, before the chrome crap, but counting the spare. So, I dialed it down to about 230 pounds (spare was 10 pounds by itself).

In the mean time, going to go toss the crash bars on Craigslist. Apparently they're highly sought after and to be honest after looking online, that shit is expensive. Easily $600 worth of chrome was stuck on this thing.
    So what’s your plan for mirrors?

Those crash guards look like they would keep you from breaking a turn signal or crunching a fender when you drop it or if it gets knocked over while parked, both are things that will happen if you commute much, which is why they’re popular. I can dig ditching the front rack though, that thing is hideous.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    So what’s your plan for mirrors?

Those crash guards look like they would keep you from breaking a turn signal or crunching a fender when you drop it or if it gets knocked over while parked, both are things that will happen if you commute much, which is why they’re popular. I can dig ditching the front rack though, that thing is hideous.
    Who needs mirrors? I keep my head on a swivel. I ordered stock-type handle bar mounted mirrors. The clamp ons were so low as to be almost useless anyways.

Maybe the crash bars would ward off a few dings. But I'm not convinced, they're so thin I could bend them with a hard stare. As installed they scuffed the engine cowls, cracked the paint on the front fender, and created a bare metal spot on the floorboard, so they're damaging the bike all on their own.

I will park in a parking garage, in dedicated motorcycle parking at work, and the garage at home. Given the paint is already not perfect, I'm not too worried about it.

More important, as I continued my mechanical inspection, I discovered the "gear cable" (shifter cable) was frayed and held in place by about 3-strands of wire. Which explains why the shifter feels so vague. Ordered a complete set of teflon sheathed BGM cables. It'll be loads of fun pulling the new cable, I'm sure. Actually, I'll tape some thin paracord to the old cable and pull the cord through when I pull the cable out and use it to pull the new cable back through.

I also ordered some fresh tires. The tires on the bike are original, 2012 manufactured, and pretty hard from age. A new set of Michelins will set it right. Also on the list is to check the rear brake, change the oil, and put some heat shrink wrap on a few wires that are sort of exposed.

Having skimmed through this thread, I feel like a bit of an outlier here. (But there is a P7M8 in my Kushitani thigh bag.)
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Vespa Forum Dudes: "You need a jackstand for working on your scooter. They're 150 bucks and take three weeks to show up from Europe."

Me, "Cool."

Also me:

Name:  F1F5CDD9-8CA6-4B14-A3C0-A83C8FC78168.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  6B76E5F2-C825-496F-AFC6-34E2A5E6A7C0.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  42.2 KB

Site Supporter
    Vespa Forum Dudes: "You need a jackstand for working on your scooter. They're 150 bucks and take three weeks to show up from Europe."

Me, "Cool."

Also me:
    Well done!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

Me, "Cool."

Also me:
    The enhanced version you will create when it rocks forward or back and drops the bike scoot while you're working on it will have tees at the bottom with nipples going forward and back and a cap on each end to increase the diameter so the whole thing doesn't wobble.

----------

My garage cleanup continues. Washed some of the anole crap stains off the tank of the SV (along with a lot of dust) while I was out there sweating.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The enhanced version you will create when it rocks forward or back and drops the bike scoot while you're working on it will have tees at the bottom with nipples going forward and back and a cap on each end to increase the diameter so the whole thing doesn't wobble.

----------

My garage cleanup continues. Washed some of the anole crap stains off the tank of the SV (along with a lot of dust) while I was out there sweating.
    Screw it to some OSB squares. Bueno.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post

----------

To rock it off that stand, you'll have to rock it off the rear and center stand simultaneously. The center stand is locked forward, you can't push it backwards. You could knock it over but remember the bulk of the weight is actually distributed between those two stands and about 4" from the floor in all of these pics. It is quite stable overall, because of the weight distribution.

If this were a normal motorcycle it wouldn't work.

User Tag List