Page 38 of 54 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    DR650 is probably a great first-bike choice for you.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

RR knows in his heart - he should buy a DRZ, probably 400, for street riding.

But he also has eyes on ‘78 R80/7 that is for sale locally...

Buy the R80/7 to take apart and have scattered around the garage with the Sunbeam. Then buy the Suzuki anyway so you have something to ride.
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Buy the R80/7 to take apart and have scattered around the garage with the Sunbeam. Then buy the Suzuki anyway so you have something to ride.
    Get the fuck outta my head, man.

That's actually what is keeping me from buying the Bimmer. I really do not need another project. I'm actually trying to roll stuff back and finish projects before starting another; which is tough to do when you're a tinkerer at heart.

We'll see what spring brings. Right now, I can't buy into any project though I want to. Because I need to help my mom prep to put her house for sale this spring and that means moving and consolidating a bunch of stuff that I had and my dad had. After that, we'll see where I am cash, space, and energy wise.

Site Supporter

Triumph Speed Triple

I sold my last bike (Kawasaki ZX-12R) a couple years ago. I miss riding and am about to jump back into the pool. I anticipate all on road -- commuting and brisk day tours. I'm looking at a 2010 Triumph Speed Triple. Any thoughts on that choice? Thanks.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    I sold my last bike (Kawasaki ZX-12R) a couple years ago. I miss riding and am about to jump back into the pool. I anticipate all on road -- commuting and brisk day tours. I'm looking at a 2010 Triumph Speed Triple. Any thoughts on that choice? Thanks.
    2011+ model year will get you a few extra hp. Otherwise, it's a sweet sounding engine and a sporty but nimble ride. I'm more of a Sprint ST fan (fairing, bags), but if your tastes lean towards naked bikes, the Street is a nice bike.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming Shooter View Post
    You might want to look into the Yamaha Tracer 900 for a more upright/ better weather protection Japanese triple.
    Everybody I know who has owned or ridden a bike with that motor has loved it. Plus they have Yamaha reliability, not that I’ve heard much bad about the Triumphs, but dealer network may or may not be important to you.

I personally loathe the insect eye look.

For a bigger naked bike with a retro look, I like the Z900RS Cafe. If budget says go older, I'd look for maybe the fairingless version of an SV1000.
    Not another dime.

Only been staring at this one in an open tab for about a week now: https://www.motoworkschicago.com/def...OwnedInventory

And going through Oshmo's awesome list of custom airhead parts - https://www.oshmo.com/product-category/parts/

And of course, if I bought an airhead Bimmer - I need all the specialty tools: http://www.northwoodsairheads.com/to...d-t-shirts.php

___

I swear I don't have a problem. Certainly not, because I'll be brutally honest, I'm tempted to buy all the tools - not because I will for sure buy an airhead, but because I like tools and specialty tools. And hey, someday I might own an airhead Bimmer.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Only been staring at this one in an open tab for about a week now: https://www.motoworkschicago.com/def...OwnedInventory

And going through Oshmo's awesome list of custom airhead parts - https://www.oshmo.com/product-category/parts/

And of course, if I bought an airhead Bimmer - I need all the specialty tools: http://www.northwoodsairheads.com/to...d-t-shirts.php

___

I swear I don't have a problem. Certainly not, because I'll be brutally honest, I'm tempted to buy all the tools - not because I will for sure buy an airhead, but because I like tools and specialty tools. And hey, someday I might own an airhead Bimmer.
    If it checks out when you go to look at it this weekend you should buy it.

However, Keep it in a rideable state for the first year of your riding season so you can ride as much as you can and actually gain back those riding skills and keep them sharp. (At a minimum no projects that last longer than a weekend and things like suspension or brakes that enhance handling or ergonomics) before messing too much with cosmetics) Winter up north is the time for wrenching.

User Tag List