Page 20 of 54 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles

Good advice above. I would just add that for a first bike, you might want to think carefully about anything too old or too rare. Lack of knowledge base, parts/dealer support.

Thanks guys.

I'm not as much worried about making stupid mistakes on a powerful bike as the bigger bike slowing my learning curve, I guess.

I've been looking for late model SV650s. The CB500F looks almost ideal to me, especially with the ABS breaks. Not sure I could justify spending money on a new bike, for my 1st though.

If you're not dead set on a certain bike, buy used and be patient. Especially with sport bikes, there's great deals to be had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by isis07734 View Post
    Thanks guys.

I'm not as much worried about making stupid mistakes on a powerful bike as the bigger bike slowing my learning curve, I guess.

I've been looking for late model SV650s. The CB500F looks almost ideal to me, especially with the ABS breaks. Not sure I could justify spending money on a new bike, for my 1st though.
    Without knowing you or your dimensions, I'd say you're in the right ballpark.
    If by "bigger" you mean cc's, I would not worry about it too much as long as you don't completely over-do it.
    If by "bigger" you mean "heavier", I'd agree that this is a concern, although I've ridden 700+ pound bikes that are better balanced than smaller bikes, so, don't get too caught up with weight.... Weight is a factor but overall handling is not solely weight dependent. For example, seat height and center of gravity are more critical for those of us with short inseams.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Thanks guys.

I had a brandy new silver 2002 SV650S (last year of the Gen 1's...carburated) as my 1st bike. While I did enjoy the bike, I would have had it longer if I had gotten the N version. Regardless, it was a great bike that I didn't outgrow quickly. My bro-in-law just got his MC license. He's about 6'3" and went with a brandy new V-Strom 650. It fits him well. I tried pushing him towards a used bike as a first bike, but he wanted new. He's had it about 1 month and dropped it once already. If you're looking at the SV, also look at the Kawi parallel twin 650's. They come in lots of flavors (Ninja, Versys, Vulcan, etc.) and they are in the same ball park as the SV weight /power/size wise.

Regarding stupid mistakes.....you can make them on anything. As someone else mentioned, use your head to manage your hand to manage the throttle.

Sorely tempted.

The SV650 would be solid and a bike you could be happy with for some time. The new Honda is cool too, enough displacement and it has some rider aids but getting that bike new would have you losing some money.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

ZX14 is a great bike, does a lot of things really well.

Good point on the Kawis, didn't even think of them. Rauch, after your SV, did you get another bike?

Yea, I just can't justify a new bike (the CB500).. maybe some new used ones will start hitting Craigslist soon.

Good point on the Kawis, didn't even think of them. Rauch, after your SV, did you get another bike?

Yea, I just can't justify a new bike (the CB500).. maybe some new used ones will start hitting Craigslist soon.
    From the SV650S
    2002 Yamaha Roadstar - At that time, the closest Japanese HD clone. Solid bike, but very mellow. Went to Nova Scotia from NJ on that bike.
    2007 SV1000S - Last year of the big SV. Heavier than the 650, but more grunt and top end. Stock, it made about 110hp / 72 ft/lbs. Loved the sound of the engine on that bike.
    Currently, 2013 HD Switchback - Oct 2013 was my 10 year anniversary with the wife. She rides too and has had a 2001 Honda 750 Shadow ACE, 2003 Kawi Z1000 (lots of fun), and now she also has a 2013 HD Switchback. After having an accident on the SV1K and busting some bones, I wanted something that would be fun under 100mph. I raided my 401K for our 10 year anniversary and bought us 2 HD Switchbacks (we don't have kids). After upgrading the forks and suspenion, Stage 1, Corbin seat w/ backrest and cams on the way, the bike is fun under 100mph.

I'm keeping the HD, but at some point will be something like a Versys 1000 also.

I was on a 3 day trip with my long time friend and riding buddy. I had taken my wife's Kawi Z1000 and he was on a BMW F800GS. After doing a few hundred miles that day we were by Lake George, NY. My ass was killing me and we swapped bikes for about 50 miles. The longer and plusher suspension of the F800GS was an eye opener. I didn't want to give him his bike back. My ass went from being tortured on the Z1K to being caressed by teutonic ass love nymphs. On a long trip, it's all about ass comfort, and the longer / plusher suspension of the ADV bikes delivers.

User Tag List