Page 35 of 54 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Seems like it would be a great around town beater.
    I commuted on this thing in DC for years. It's incredibly agile, kinda like a mountain bike with 250cc.

They were available here as late as '09, IIRC. Most similar thing in the current lineup is probably the KLX250.

Anyone ride a DR650?

Seems like it could be a good choice for a supermoto conversion. Plenty of engine, parts, and even a relatively low seat height for the vertically challenged among us.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Anyone ride a DR650?

Seems like it could be a good choice for a supermoto conversion. Plenty of engine, parts, and even a relatively low seat height for the vertically challenged among us.
    I had this one before my FZ-1:
    Name:  2008 DR650-SM FR.jpg
Views: 388
Size:  95.3 KB
    And several of my friends have them. For a long time I have been telling myself I am going to get another one, but now I think I am going to try the CB500x Honda, they are about the same weight and probably start out with as much power as a DR with bolt-on stuff will end up with.

Anyone ride a DR650?

So... The DR series to me is stuck in 2000 and just very meh. They're great if you're not seeking top end performance and just wanna ride, but KTM and others offer so much more that's worth looking at.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    So... The DR series to me is stuck in 2000 and just very meh. They're great if you're not seeking top end performance and just wanna ride, but KTM and others offer so much more that's worth looking at.
    Orion isn’t wrong. The DR is a great first bike or first returning rider’s bike too. If you can find a well treated used one you can ride it for a couple of years and not loose any money when you sell it, at least here. It’s got enough power to do interstate if you have too, and I’ve got friends who’ll take ‘em into some pretty gnarly off-road.

What you loose in performance to the newer KTM and Huskies(white KTM) you gain in generally less and cheaper maintenance if something does go wrong, plus a much lower price point.

One note, if you’re of short inseam, my opinion is to forget about replacement links to lower it. They change up wheel travel and make the suspension feel all fucky. A good suspension shop can shorten rear shocks and forks internally (and re-valve them) so you don’t screw with the geometry like you do when you just drop forks in the triple tree throw on a lowering link.

Anyone ride a DR650?

I think you're still better off with the DRZ400 if you're seriously considering the DRs. Seat height is higher but it's lower if you supermoto. The 400 is lighter with similar power and parts availability. As mentioned above the KTM/husky/aprilia's of the world are in a different league, but also cost double. An FCR carb wakes up the DRZ400 nicely.

The appeal of the DR to me is the “it hasn’t changed much since 1998”. I like being able to work on my own stuff, and bikes and parts tend to be cheaper.

But in all likelihood, I will talk myself out of buying a motorcycle for the fortieth time...

But until then I can dream and shop...I know I should just do it. Every 4-6 months I want a motorcycle...like clockwork for the past 17 years..

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    One advantage to the DR650 and I believe also the KLR650 is they both had a rear cush-drive hub. That adds immensely to the durability of all drivetrain parts from the sprocket to the clutch hub bushing and everything in between. It's a necessity for any bike that will see a lot of miles. Most dual sports under 700cc skip the cush hub for reasons of cost and weight.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    The appeal of the DR to me is the “it hasn’t changed much since 1998”. I like being able to work on my own stuff, and bikes and parts tend to be cheaper.

But in all likelihood, I will talk myself out of buying a motorcycle for the fortieth time...

But until then I can dream and shop...I know I should just do it. Every 4-6 months I want a motorcycle...like clockwork for the past 17 years..
    Since we’re all enabler here:
    I think you should set aside some money and take something like the MSF basic riders course this spring. Spend a couple of days riding their motorcycle and you’ll probably have to buy one afterwards if it’s truly in your blood.

Site Supporter
    Slightly off topic but this seemed like a good place to ask, so...has anybody got a recommendation for a good motorcycle shipper? I am considering buying a bike I'd need to have shipped to me. I can google with the best of them but, thinking about it, it seems likely that somebody here has some personal experience. Thanks.

User Tag List