Page 36 of 54 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Slightly off topic but this seemed like a good place to ask, so...has anybody got a recommendation for a good motorcycle shipper? I am considering buying a bike I'd need to have shipped to me. I can google with the best of them but, thinking about it, it seems likely that somebody here has some personal experience. Thanks.
    When I sold my TE610, the buyer had it shipped it from Alabama to California via www.motorcycleshippers.com

He said he's used them several times with good results, and they were painless to deal with on my end as the seller.

Site Supporter
    Thanks very much.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I used these guys to fetch my TE610 from the midwest when I bought it, and to bring my Suzuki to TX when I moved. Good experiences both times. They're basically a broker that sets up the shipment with the actual freight company. That was several years ago, no recent experience.

https://www.freightcenter.com/shipping/motorcycles

ETA: As I recall, I was able to arrange a terminal-to-terminal deal for the 610 and saved a bundle. Flew to the metro airport closest to the seller, got a cab to a nearby U-Haul place and rented an F-150. Drove that to check out the bike, and bought it. Dropped the bike off at the carrier's terminal near the airport, returned the pickup and got a cab to a hotel near the airport. Used frequent flier miles for the plane, and the whole thing including shipping the bike cost less than the difference between what I paid and what similar but more-used bikes were selling for in my area. When the Husky arrived in my area a few days later, I drove my van to the terminal with the ramp in the back and picked it up there.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 02-23-2020 at 06:54 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Since we’re all enabler here:
    I think you should set aside some money and take something like the MSF basic riders course this spring. Spend a couple of days riding their motorcycle and you’ll probably have to buy one afterwards if it’s truly in your blood.
    I highly recommend taking the MSF basic rider course. I took my state class, where passing meant you didn't have to take the test for the motorcycle endorsement on the driver's license. All gear was supplied and the instruction was excellent.

I ended up buying a used motorcycle, riding it for a season, and then selling it. Learned a lot and had fun but it just wasn't for me at the time. I still think it was time and money well spent.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I used these guys to fetch my TE610 from the midwest when I bought it..
    Thank you. That's very helpful since I've been struggling with how to check out a bike in the midwest. Hell, maybe I'll fly out.

Told my wife; “The P-F Motorcycle thread popped back up.”

And she says, “Uh huh.”

Me; “What?”

Her, “Every six months for 13 years. You want a motorcycle. I’m just waiting for you to bring one home at this point.”

Me, “It only took ten years for me to get a dog.”

Her, “So not much longer for the bike then.”

She knows me well.

Picked up a leftover 19’ Honda CRF450L last week. Grew up riding dirt bikes and have always wanted a street legal dual sport. Plan to use it for in town commuting, trail rides, occasional track use and some light adventure riding. Thing is a total hooligan bike...so much fun to ride! It’s pretty choked up from the factory due to the EPA crap on the bike but all of that is getting removed shortly. Already have a new exhaust/ECU and am waiting for the smog delete kit to arrive before I swap everything out. For some reason I can’t load a pic but I’ll work on getting one up soon. If anyone has any specific questions on this bike I’ll do my best to answer them.
    Shoot more, post less...

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    The reviews I've read of that suggest it is The Honda Way. A little heavier, not quite as highly tuned from the factory, likely massively more reliable with lower and easier maintenance requirements over the long haul than the orange/white competitors. A good pick for someone who wants to ride rather than compiling internet wisdom on how to solve problems that should never be problems.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

This year is the year I get a bike I think. I've been looking pretty hard at the Ducati scrambler. The crf450 series seems intriguing as well. I'm not looking to take extremely long trips on it. I live in a rural area sk the ability to take it off road to some degree seems practical.

The scrambler will be less maintenance intrinsic.

User Tag List