Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Still have the FZ-1 for sale ... I will probably sell it in the spring. Or not...
    I did end up selling the FZ-1, got a fair price for it and sold it to a nice young man who seems like a good rider, not someone that was going to wad it up on the way home.

And I took another trip on the SV-650, that trip was a late season gathering in West Virginia. We had great weather but was still prudent to haul instead of riding, I put it in a hitch carrier I had from when I (briefly) raced an FZR400.
    Name:  Loaded to Go.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  69.7 KB

It worked OK but not as well as with the stripped down race bike, and I will probably not do it again. I think the race bike had stiffer springs and could be stabilized better.
    Name:  Hitch Hauler.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  59.9 KB

We also got the little Transit Connect van we ordered in February, so I am probably going to get a nicer utility trailer (thinking Triton FIT series aluminum) and any event distant enough to be too far to comfortably ride the little SV I will probably trailer it. I am only doing a few trips a year right now, and when I retire I can get something with longer legs.

ETA: I also made a rookie mistake and tipped over in a parking lot trying to jump a curb, so my shiny new bike has a little personalization now. Turns out that light nimble motorcycle is not that damn light, once it tips over just sooo far, and my leg is too short because the front wheel is up on a curb!

Quote Originally Posted by centex View Post
    Bought mine new and I’m not a hard rider, maybe 700-1000 miles per year. Aside from regular maintenance it’s been a boringly reliable bike so far. If I had a complaint, I think it could use better brakes but I don’t ride aggressively enough for it to be a real issue for me.
    An easy and relatively inexpensive front brake up grade would be to change out the stock pads for something like EBC sintered or Galfer and replace the stock brake line with a stainless steel braided line.
    Improves both braking performance and feel at the lever.
    You may not ride aggressively but it might be nice to be able to stop aggressively.
    Dean,
    “The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine
    "The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."- Antonio Meloni

Quote Originally Posted by baddean View Post
    An easy and relatively inexpensive front brake up grade would be to change out the stock pads for something like EBC sintered or Galfer and replace the stock brake line with a stainless steel braided line.
    Improves both braking performance and feel at the lever.
    You may not ride aggressively but it might be nice to be able to stop aggressively.
    Agreed on the EBC pads. Brake line is already braided stainless, in a fit of offering great value for the money.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Agreed on the EBC pads. Brake line is already braided stainless, in a fit of offering great value for the money.
    Changing brake fluid every year- even in my dry climate- does a lot for brake feel and performance. My bikes get ridden hard in technical canyon roads and passes in all weather conditions, and the difference is noteworthy.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

US rider, German rider, same Japanese bike: Honda CBR600RR (PC40). Mine will be of full age next year. How time flies!

Took this picture on the first sunny day this year with a double-digit temperature (i.e. at least 10°C or 50°F):

Name:  PC40.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  102.8 KB

This is my favorite parking lot. Pretty empty on Sundays, good for a little training. And the ramp to the Autobahn is only a few hundred yards away.

PS:
    @Archer1440, your friend's BMW is also very cool. My friend had the variant with one R only (S1000 R).
    Last edited by P30; 02-13-2024 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    Changing brake fluid every year- even in my dry climate- does a lot for brake feel and performance. My bikes get ridden hard in technical canyon roads and passes in all weather conditions, and the difference is noteworthy.
    Looks chilly! What do you have on under those leathers (I mean, besides women’s underwear, of course ) to stay warm through the passes? I need to up my cold weather game.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Totem Polar View Post
    Looks chilly! What do you have on under those leathers (I mean, besides women’s underwear, of course ) to stay warm through the passes? I need to up my cold weather game.
    😂

A full RS Taichi undersuit, which I picked up in Japan. It’s a Gore wind stopping material. Also a Forcefield neck gaiter, same material.

If temps get below about 38-40, I switch to the VFR. Heated grips for the win.

Hey, P30, do I get extra points for the P30L in my leg bag?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

😂

A full RS Taichi undersuit, which I picked up in Japan. It’s a Gore wind stopping material.
    So I suppose, it's this undersuit:

rs-taichi.com/main/leather/NXU904.html

Looks damn fast!

PS:
    Like a rocket man!

Last edited by P30; 02-14-2024 at 06:42 AM.

Hey, P30, do I get extra points for the P30L in my leg bag?
    Yes, for sure. Enjoy this kind of freedom! In my country, it's verboten. But we have the Autobahn. I enjoyed the Autobahn, when I was very young. Important thing is, only few serious accidents happen there. But I enjoy curvy roads and racetracks more. The best rides so far were the Alps and the racetracks in Oschersleben (GER) and Assen (NL).

If you want to ride in Europe, it would be an honor for me to give you some tips so that you enjoy the ride and stay safe.

Two highlights:

Corsica:

Name:  Korsika.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  49.7 KB

Alps (Stelvio pass):

Name:  Stilfser Joch.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  79.0 KB
    Last edited by P30; 02-14-2024 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by P30 View Post
    Yes, I have that one (since 2008), but I got a newer version a few years ago:

http://https://www.ec.rs-taichi.com/nxu916.html

User Tag List